2018/19 - What do we actually want to see?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like how we're always told about this project and yet there seems to be no evidence we have one in place. Even our own manager has admitted Spurs are the route to follow and yet we do nothing like them? Short term managerial appointments, short term transfers (Sig, Rooney, Walcott etc.). It just stinks of no actual clue what the clubs aims are.

I'd rather see us finish 10th for a few seasons if I can actually see what the club are working towards. This attempt at boosting instant success is not working.

the difference between Spurs and us is the manager - if we had Pochettino, with this exact squad, we'd be fifth

Young manager.

At least 8 senior players moved on

Replaced with 24 and under players

No ambition beyond trying to form a good team next season and aim for a cup run.

A new manager that has proven they can actually win things, forget the likes of Silva, Howe,dyke etc they are all midtable manages who have went through a nice bit of form for a month or two and then went back to being average.

I reckon FSW could actually be pretty decent for us, he has shown at loads of clubs he is great at winning cup competitions. We are never gonna be winning the league any time soon, so let's start of in the right track and actually wins SOMETHING.

A director of football doesn't have to be a single individual.

What it needs is people who run a sanity check on each signing
1. Do they fit in with the style of football we want to play
2. Does the fee they cost represent good value given their age and other options (including youth) within the squad
3. Does the manager have a clear plan how he wants to use them

If they pass that test then give the go ahead to sign them.

When I was doing interviews for the manager post I'd give them a few days to assess our squad and come up with a plan for how to use the existing players within their system and the types of players they'd need to bring in to improve the squad (if they didn't say a left back and a passing midfielder they'd fall at the first stage!)

the difference between Spurs and us is the manager - if we had Pochettino, with this exact 11squad, we'd be fifth
Really? You think Schneidercrab, Williams, Jagielka, Baines and Cuco are all top talent that would get us near the CL spots. Until we have the mother of all clearouts it wont matter who is manager here. I just get the feeling that Schneiderlin and Williams are the truly bad eggs, based on nothing other than my intense dislike of them.

The worst thing IMO would be to make another six or seven signings next summer.

Assuming best case scenario with a new manager/DOF, then no more than 3 signings considered ready to go straight into the first XI would be about right.

I'm all for putting the majority of the squad on a one-way trip to Mars, but the reality for the short-term will be that a core of 16-18 of these players are going to have to play their way out of this mess in the short-term with us, add a few more on top, and bring back Dowell and promote 1 or 2 others and thats it.

We have nobody to generate a huge transfer fee anymore, and I don't see continual spending. The money on Tosun already looks suspect.

The league is dreadful, and this probably means accepting so-called mid-table mediocrity for another cycle, but the damage inflicted has become so severe that its probably the most we can hope for. At least we could try to do it with some flair and commitment as a given, and try to adapt a progressive but long-term view.

New Manager
New DOF, or abolish the role
CB/LB/Centre Mid
Perhaps another striker, though we have enough goals in us with the right approach.

Thats without board changes.

Personally I think this abomination can be sorted in the summer but we must have a clear strategy in terms of how we want to play, how long we want the manager their for and what the short & long term goals are. I also would like to see a new younger manager and no DoF unless they were actually a DoF before they come here.

My question I guess is if you were in control of the club, or even it's DoF, with ultimate power over decisions, how would you like the club to look come August this year?

Looking at it from my point of view I'd like to see this squad rock up first game of the 2018/19 season in a sort of 4-1-4-1 or 4-1-2-3 formation. I single out the 1 in midfield because I'm sick of seeing us try and make Gana into something he isn't - just leave him to mop up and pass 5 yards to someone better;

GK

Pickford
New Signing

Defense

Keane
Holgate
RFM
Feeney (injury back-up)
New Signing

New Signing
Robinson/Connolly
Coleman
Kenny

Midfield

DM: Gana
DM: Baningime

RM: Walcott
RM: Vlasic
CM: Davies
CM: New Signing
CM: New Signing
CAM: Sigurdsson
CAM: Dowell
LM: New Signing
LM: Lookman

Strikers

Tosun
DCL
New Signing (maybe)

Normally I'd advocate another striker but the outlay on them is just massive these days and I firmly believe those two can score goals if what's behind them is better and the way we play improves. Transfer priority should be:

New starting LB > New CM x2 > New LM x > New CB (back-up) > New GK (back-up) > New ST (back-up)

Kind regards,

Zatmeister
Too long

More a question of who we DON'T want to see

Status
Not open for further replies.