1995-2020 = the longest barren spell without silverware in Everton's history

Status
Not open for further replies.
Posted this in the other thread. Collectively, as fans we’ve perhaps been more tolerant of a ‘’meh’ season. Or rather, not been visual or vocal enough about any discontentment. It’s not about individual displays of grief. I’d say we’re very good at whinging and booing but we shrug our shoulders and go back next week, there’s little organisation of us standing together as one to say “this isn’t good enough” and i’d probably agree there hasn’t been enough of that.

United, Liverpool, Arsenal, even Chelsea have all had dips in the last few years and their fans have organised marches against the owners / managers, campaigned on social media, held banners before, during and after the game anywhere there was a media crew and generally stomped their feet and made a lot of noise to anyone that would listen.

Some may say that’s them being “entitled” and perhaps that’s true, but there is a case that had our fanbase been more vocal about midtable and bottom half finishes much earlier, perhaps we wouldn’t have suffered for quite as long. We’d have certainly seen change much faster.

This clubs ambitions died the minute us fans allowed kenwright following a cup final to not give the manager any money for 2 seasons.

No question about it. It set the tone that we will accept anything with this club and made us a shadow of our former giant status.

There is no demand for success anymore and us fans made that happen.
The cheering when he came up on screen at Goodison in the midst of the blue union protests was the low point for me.

If we dont win a trophy next season a shameful anniversary will be upon us: 25 years without a trophy win. That'll eclipse the previous barren period between 1939-1963 by a year (and that was as lengthy as it was because there was no football for 6 years because of a war).

But not a European ban, or a re-write of the qualification rules or a proper dodgy referee or two. History is written by the winners, Dave. They went to a lot of trouble to make sure that wasn't us...

But not a European ban, or a re-write of the qualification rules or a proper dodgy referee or two. History is written by the winners, Dave. They went to a lot of trouble to make sure that wasn't us...
We hadn't been helped before this trophyless period, it's true. But the ban of the 80s and Collina doesn't explain the colossal failure of the hierarchy of this organisation to find game changing investment and build a stadium. It doesn't explain why an absolute fortune has come into the club and we are where we are.

The answer is mostly to be found inside the club not outside it...as tempting as it is to blame that unspeakable scum from across the park and UEFA.

As depressing as it sounds, I'm 26, and I've genuinely came to accept that I don't think I'm ever going to see us lift a thing.

If we dont win a trophy next season a shameful anniversary will be upon us: 25 years without a trophy win. That'll eclipse the previous barren period between 1939-1963 by a year (and that was as lengthy as it was because there was no football for 6 years because of a war). Since 1995, Leicester have won three trophies; Villa, Blackburn, M'boro, Birmingham City, Swansea City, Portsmouth and Wigan have each won a trophy.

Our downfall hasn't happened by accident. It's happened because the club in the last quarter of a century has been run by amateurs who've squandered the greatest money spree there's ever been at the disposal of Everton in its history. It's gone nowhere. Spent on paying off loans (and the interest run up for those loans...and that's another murky area in and of itself). Those loans were taken out because a series of owners simply didn't have the wherewithal to make a successful takeover happen and they used the club's PL status as a credit card and a liberal sprinkling of player sales to keep themselves in position for a future sale. Oh yes, there's been poor recruitment of managers and players. The cash wasted there hasn't helped either.

But this has been an age defined by our former peers upgrading stadia / building new stadia in order to stay competitive and increase their chances of success, but Everton's owners were too dimwitted to ever get a stadium idea off the drawing board and built. Which should come as no surprise to anyone, because they are the same people who employed a variety of CEOs to cut deals which were appallingly small for a club of this size, people who exhibited no idea how to grow Everton into a commercially viable operation. They've all recognised the key problem, for sure, but that's only been in order to hide their failure behind the mantra of 'facility-led' recovery and then they fold their arms as if nothing else matters. And here we are now still waiting for it with promises of updates where a secured planning permission for a stadium and funding to build it should be.

So, as we head into our 25th year in the wilderness, take a bow Messrs Johnson, Finch, Kenwright, Gregg, Earl, Dunford, Wyness, Elstone, Moshiri...and you too Mrs Barrett-Baxendale.

We wake up to the continuing nightmare of our local rival lifting another piece of silverware and taking their place in the sun while we remain firmy in the shadows, but remember that those named above are our real enemies, not an embarrassing cult who just so happen to share the same city as us. No one at Liverpool bollocksed us up for this length of time. The perpetrators of our quarter of a century decline all sat and sit in our boardroom at L4.

Get the boot right in there Davey lid. This is going hand in hand with the self inflicted ciggeret burns and dark poetry I'm conducting.

Man City got relegated twice and never ever thought they would to.
Bought by a man with endless cash when FFP didn't matter. Regardless of if usmanov is involved or not, we cant do what they did. We just don't win enough big games to do it. Closest we've got was in 09 when we go up after 30 seconds and then bottle it.

Some fans are too spoilt. View attachment 59665
We did the double that year.

I0000rOU06c.KRnU.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.