1985-86 - The Boleyn Boys

Status
Not open for further replies.
interesting, I haven't seen that...is there a quote about?

Here you go - use 'Look Inside' on Amazon and you can read the whole foreword. You're welcome.

Capture.PNG

Same way Catterick and Kendall barely get mentioned outside of Everton circles yet no marks who won nothing get bigged up all the time. Dean, Ball, Southall too, arguably three of the best players these islands have ever produced yet you'll never hear them mentioned in the same breath as Charlton Best Dalglish or even Kevin effin Keegan.
Catterick's another one who seems to fall short of the all singin' all dancin' Sky Sports/BT Sports criteria for "interesting subject matter".

You have to be a massive ego AND to have achieved or you're too boring to merit attention.

Anyone reading the Rob Sawyer book on Catterick will tell you how engrossing his personality was...it's just the bird brain media who dictate that only those with a line in put downs and/or scandals can be made interesting to watch.

The Boleyn Boys?

Upton Park is my recollection.

And Davek is right. Our 80s side must be the single most overlooked brilliant one of all time.

And we all know the reason for that :mad:

Football became a dirty word in this country as the clubs were banned from Europe after the Heysel massacre.

It was a period the footballing powers that be have all but expunged from history.

The Boleyn Boys?

And Davek is right. Our 80s side must be the single most overlooked brilliant one of all time.

The Boleyn Boys?

Not the most significant award but the first English team to be voted world soccer’s team of the year , which was by journalists from all the around the globe . At the time , pre internet , the magazine was the go to for world particularly European football .

Those professional football writers and connoisseurs of the beautiful game knew they were lucky to be watching something special and so did I .

Who ? Sorry never heard of the Boleyn Boys, I know West Ham played at Upton Park as it was always know. Nostalgia getting the better of a few people here.

I like Tony Gale tbh, never really claims to know it all, like you find with a lot of pundits.

I'm amazed there isn't more on the 80s side in regard to documentaries and that, do remember they done an Everton equivalent of this west ham one, Royle, Harvey and someone else.

This really does 'kin annoy me. Utter trash like this get documentaries made about them and our 1980s team - a team which (as SAF recently conceded in Reidy's book) were the actual team that knocked that lot off their 'kin perch and were one of the best, if not the best teams, in Europe - are completely overlooked.

When is our documentary going to be done?
I suppose a possible explanation could be that, even though we'd been through the wilderness years prior to it, during our 80's successes we were still very much considered a massive club as one of the (as it was) big five. West Ham having a gallant attempt at a first title was of course commendable, but of Everton at the time it was of course expected, the motto still meant something.

But yeah, I'd love a good doc about it too. Danny Baker's match of the 80's was well done for the 85 episode.

the media were at it in 1970 as well saying that Leeds Utd should have won the title rather than us .....have WHU ever won the title ? Errr not as far as I can recall..Losers.

I suppose a possible explanation could be that, even though we'd been through the wilderness years prior to it, during our 80's successes we were still very much considered a massive club as one of the (as it was) big five. West Ham having a gallant attempt at a first title was of course commendable, but of Everton at the time it was of course expected, the motto still meant something.

But yeah, I'd love a good doc about it too. Danny Baker's match of the 80's was well done for the 85 episode.
It's outrageous.

Villa had their show on "Football's Greatest". They were 'kin rank compared to that Everton team that succeeded them and the EC they won they had to beat basically BM in the final. Then there's documentaries on Arsenal's George Graham team and the "Invincible" season they had under Wenger. FFS even Wimbledon have had a special on them.

It needs looking at. Sky and BT have their commissioning editors and they can presumably be contacted and petitoned....

Status
Not open for further replies.