Homepage Update: £40m Bid Made For Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is better to pay the extra 5m and get him in now than risk this going very late into the window to potentially get him cheaper or indeed miss out. Who actually cares if media moan that we overpaid. It's utterly irrelevant.

It is better to pay the extra 5m and get him in now than risk this going very late into the window to potentially get him cheaper or indeed miss out. Who actually cares if media moan that we overpaid. It's utterly irrelevant.

Why is it irrelevant that we overpaid?
Why would you pay more than you think he's worth?
Doesn't make any sense at all

We've improved the squad. It's been a hugely impressive window so far. The team may take some time to gel but we're going to have a completely different way of playing so that's to be expected - but it'll make it so losing Lukaku won't be the knock-out blow it could have been.

Still holes that need to be filled. We're in the process of trying to get two of those filled with real quality players which unfortunately seems to be taking a bit longer.
It's been decent, with the potential to become an excellent window, but if the window closed tonight I cannot see how we would improve on last years 7th place. That's the key for me - a window simply cannot be classed as 'hugely impressive' if you don't come out of it much better off than you went into it. In my opinion we've made a couple of good signings who sort of consolidate us as being better than the majority of the league, but don't come anywhere near pushing us into the top 4 picture. There's still time, and I won't be panicking, but I think some fans need to take a step back and look at where we are, this hasn't been the astonishing summer that some people are painting it as.

It's not our money. That's why people don't care. The team still need quality on the pitch. 50 million will be the benchmark for a good international next summer anyway.

It's been decent, with the potential to become an excellent window, but if the window closed tonight I cannot see how we would improve on last years 7th place. That's the key for me - a window simply cannot be classed as 'hugely impressive' if you don't come out of it much better off than you went into it. In my opinion we've made a couple of good signings who sort of consolidate us as being better than the majority of the league, but don't come anywhere near pushing us into the top 4 picture. There's still time, and I won't be panicking, but I think some fans need to take a step back and look at where we are, this hasn't been the astonishing summer that some people are painting it as.

If the window closed tonight we'd have a great chance of improving as the teams above us haven't done 'loads' of business either - so it's all relative.

I do agree though. We've made signings that were required as necessities to have a decent first team (GK, CB, new CF, CM etc) and now it's about adding the two-three players that will really push us on.

That's not a bad position to be in at all really.

Or just include Connolly in the deal?

He's worth what someone wants to pay for him. It's not my money, and it's not unreasonable given this summers markets and other deals happenning. Better to overpay and improve than pull out out of deals and smugly stagnate.

Agree with this. The problem is that the negative posters revel in the fact that we haven't replaced Lukaku yet despite the window not being anywhere near to being closed. I think they're right to be concerned until we get someone in (if we do - as we know how certain things went wrong last Summer), but should have a bit of patience as it's well known that we need a replacement.

But similarly the more positive posters should also slow down a bit in proclaiming the window a huge success. Whilst we have improved some key positions - GK/CB, we have been significantly weakened up front by the loss of our 25 goal a season striker. Rooney isn't what he used to be and Klaassen and Sandro are unproven in this league.

At this moment in time I think it will be a big task to stay in the top 7 until we replace Lukaku. If we bring in a player like Giroud or Benteke then I think with the other additions we have made, plus the expected arrival of Sigurdsson then we can fight for 4th-6th.

Give up. Inter Milan are one of the biggest clubs in world football. We are nowhere near that level.

Some of our fans have become seriously arrogant this summer especially since we have basically spent jack [Poor language removed].

Inter are one of the giants of world football, playing in a league that has been historically one of the elite leagues in the world and is showing signs of coming back.

Completely wrong I've not become arrogant I have been saying for weeks that all we have done is spend the money we made from sales. I am nowhere near as nieve as most on here who think we have spent and are showing ambition because technically even Huddersfield have spent more than us this year

My point is that I don't see us being that far off inter. We play in a very strong league. Southampton beat inter last year they are no world beaters. They qualify for Europe and the champions league most seasons because there's is less competition in their league. When we have qualified for the europa league we usually go quite far in it just as inter have. Reason being you never really meet decent sides until the last 16

Agree with this. The problem is that the negative posters revel in the fact that we haven't replaced Lukaku yet despite the window not being anywhere near to being closed. I think they're right to be concerned until we get someone in (if we do - as we know how certain things went wrong last Summer), but should have a bit of patience as it's well known that we need a replacement.

But similarly the more positive posters should also slow down a bit in proclaiming the window a huge success. Whilst we have improved some key positions - GK/CB, we have been significantly weakened up front by the loss of our 25 goal a season striker. Rooney isn't what he used to be and Klaassen and Sandro are unproven in this league.

At this moment in time I think it will be a big task to stay in the top 7 until we replace Lukaku. If we bring in a player like Giroud or Benteke then I think with the other additions we have made, plus the expected arrival of Sigurdsson then we can fight for 4th-6th.

7th is the minimum requirement. No way we will finish below West Ham and Soton. There is a huge gap between 7th and the teams below.

Status
Not open for further replies.