£300k fine for Goodison pitch invasion (vs palace)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Punishment for the club for the invasion immediately after the goal I can understand. But the post match invasion was more like an open invitation to get on the pitch and enjoy your biggest high at Goodison for decades. The game was the last on the GP pitch before it got its annual re-laying, so no concerns over damage to the pitch. And the stewards made no attempt to keep anyone from running on. It was
The game and the afters was a one-off experience. Whoever moans about the mass celebration should have been there, not sitting at home with a cup of tea.

Mixed view on this, on the one hand I get the argument that pitch encroachment is not a good look and risks player/staff safety as seen at a couple of the other grounds. On the other football is about emotion and a one-off end of season release is what it is and mostly just pure elation for 99% on that pitch.

Either way though I expect to see zero tolerance from the FA for other encroachments now, but I won't hold my breath.

It's an absolute disgrace that the Stop Oil kid got 6 weeks in prison, who died and made Putin prime minister? Honestly, that's monstrous!
`Says it all about our society. Regardless of whether you support the kid's cause or his methods, it's peaceful protest. While actual violent thugs walk the streets scot free and a bunch of criminals in Westminster and the City of London have the country on its knees.

I think a fine was to be expected but the amount seems entirely random. There seems to be no precedent. Unless there's some hidden formula regarding length, degree of menace (Vieira incident) etc. But you do wonder how threatening a player (Robin Olsen) appears to have gone unpunished. Perhaps, after the FP fiasco, they don't want to upset those deep pocketed fellas over yonder.

I mean, if its for pitch incursion after each of the three goals then the FT whistle and 300k each, that'd be just amazing...

300k won’t even cause a faint ripple in our magic bucket of “unforeseen Covid related costs”.

But still, best if we don’t do it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.