Confirmed Signing James Garner

Status
Not open for further replies.
He shouldn’t anyway. Cheers for the blammos but you aren’t up to scratch for the new Everton. Seems a solid pro to keep around. McNeil can take his role as right wing cover and we go out and splash the cash in January.
It would be a shame if he doesn't get back to his pre-injury levels. With his workrate & pressing, he'd fit right in with the current team we're building. Be a great help to Patterson with his tracking back.

Fulsome praise in that Athletic article.

I said a week ago he's the one I'm looking forward to seeing most of the new signings...although I also said to @bluestevon (who advocated we bring him here) that on the evidence of his Forest cup games he didn't stand out for me.

If he's as good as they say then Lampard has a lot of decisions to make on who takes up starting places in midfield. Could well be with the lack of a creative attacking force he plays as an out and out playmaker, a *No.10* as you hipsters say.
decisions who to start in midfield:

1) who is playing well/played well last game
2) who we are playing which leads to
3) how attacking/defensive/athletic do you want the trio to be

I'd have that guide and look to reduce our midfielders by 1 (probably Allan to Portugal - you can do deals in Portugal up to the 22nd IIRC - even though I like him, he's on too much money).

Onana/Iwobi/Gana/Garner/Davies/Doucoure - good mix of defensive/athletic/creativity there IMO (based on reports of Garner and watching a few youtube videos).

Fulsome praise in that Athletic article.

I said a week ago he's the one I'm looking forward to seeing most of the new signings...although I also said to @bluestevon (who advocated we bring him here) that on the evidence of his Forest cup games he didn't stand out for me.

If he's as good as they say then Lampard has a lot of decisions to make on who takes up starting places in midfield. Could well be with the lack of a creative attacking force he plays as an out and out playmaker, a *No.10* as you hipsters say.

Dave I'm into stats a lot (moreso since our kid started writing and analysing them for some RBM articles) and even going back to his wolves loan he was posting the type of progressive passing you simply don't normally see even close to the numbers of as a dm/cm. He continued that as Forest as well but started showing that he can play effectively a box to box roll depending who he's partnered with.

On stats, age, motivation to play and improve he ticks all the boxes and can see why united and forest fans where gutted he left both - usually a good sign that too.

As for not standing out in the cup, his stats actually where very very good, a bit like Barry though I think you only notice 'just how good' he is till he's playing for you and you watch him week in and out.

Not a shadow of a doubt he's the reason we basically had zero interest in Gilmour btw, Garner has nearly all his positive stuff without the limitations and the same age.

I'd have that guide and look to reduce our midfielders by 1 (probably Allan to Portugal - you can do deals in Portugal up to the 22nd IIRC - even though I like him, he's on too much money).

Onana/Iwobi/Gana/Garner/Davies/Doucoure - good mix of defensive/athletic/creativity there IMO (based on reports of Garner and watching a few youtube videos).

Scary thing is we trued to bring in Kudus too whose an attacking mid - we really did decide to absolutely tear up that old midfield

On paper it's as good a midfield as we've had for a long time.

Dave I'm into stats a lot (moreso since our kid started writing and analysing them for some RBM articles) and even going back to his wolves loan he was posting the type of progressive passing you simply don't normally see even close to the numbers of as a dm/cm. He continued that as Forest as well but started showing that he can play effectively a box to box roll depending who he's partnered with.

On stats, age, motivation to play and improve he ticks all the boxes and can see why united and forest fans where gutted he left both - usually a good sign that too.

As for not standing out in the cup, his stats actually where very very good, a bit like Barry though I think you only notice 'just how good' he is till he's playing for you and you watch him week in and out.

Not a shadow of a doubt he's the reason we basically had zero interest in Gilmour btw, Garner has nearly all his positive stuff without the limitations and the same age.
I'm delighted we left Gilmour alone. He'll be practically useless to Brighton IMO.

Garner and the cup games for Forest: obviously the likes of Johnson and Spence eclipsed him, but I noticed even then his set pieces. Since Sigurdsson we've struggled with them, so even just on that dimension to our play he'll be a valuable addition.

I'm delighted we left Gilmour alone. He'll be practically useless to Brighton IMO.

Garner and the cup games for Forest: obviously the likes of Johnson and Spence eclipsed him, but I noticed even then his set pieces. Since Sigurdsson we've struggled with them, so even just on that dimension to our play he'll be a valuable addition.

Dunno if you saw the Forest v Liverpool QF mate (v pretty much a full strength Liverpool midfield), Garner should have had two assists from absolutely brilliant through balls in that game, one was a missed sitter he put on a plate, the other the lad was clean through and brought down by the keeper (nothing given ofc).

Thinking of Garner as a set piece man alone is way underselling what he brings.

Dunno if you saw the Forest v Liverpool QF mate (v pretty much a full strength Liverpool midfield), Garner should have had two assists from absolutely brilliant through balls in that game, one was a missed sitter he put on a plate, the other the lad was clean through and brought down by the keeper (nothing given ofc).

Thinking of Garner as a set piece man alone is way underselling what he brings.

And v Arsenal @davek

Yeah. I see what you mean.

I think what's apparent from all that is he's very combative as well as being an impressive distributor.

I dont think it'd be too unkind to say he looks an all-rounder, but not in the sense that Tom Davies was when he first came on the scene - who had no big weaponry at his disposal but did everything ok.

As said: I'm very much looking forward to seeing him get on the pitch now. The midfield looks like it may pull us through this season.

Yeah. I see what you mean.

I think what's apparent from all that is he's very combative as well as being an impressive distributor.

I dont think it'd be too unkind to say he looks an all-rounder, but not in the sense that Tom Davies was when he first came on the scene - who had no big weaponry at his disposal but did everything ok.

As said: I'm very much looking forward to seeing him get on the pitch now. The midfield looks like it may pull us through this season.

Comparing to another player is lazy sometimes but in various ways he reninds me not just a little bit of Carrick & Barry.

If we wanna use a player a mile off their class, then Darron Gibson comes to mind in terms of his range of passing and first touch.

Comparing to another player is lazy sometimes but in various ways he reninds me not just a little bit of Carrick & Barry.

If we wanna use a player a mile off their class, then Darron Gibson comes to mind in terms of his range of passing and first touch.
It's been a while since we've had a player in midfield who's tenacious and has quality distribution. Arteta could be aggressive and had, obviously, great vision. Klaassen was supposed to come in here and do a similar job but didn't have the engine. It's a very difficult thing to find a player who has the tools to do that job.

Lampard has at least tried to bring one in. We just need to see what he can do at PL level now. He'll get his chance shortly.

Status
Not open for further replies.