2022/23 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Westy damaged his thigh - he could throw the ball accurately to Moggsy on the half way line, not hoof it into the Bullen's road like Pickford - no comparison Westy was pure class controlled his box ..... Pickford is not fit to be classed anywhere near him ....

Plus why was he around the penalty spot? Lack of positional sense ?

How is that even a logical point of view, come on.

I have one question. In that situation, if you were the keeper and your own centre back had the ball on the right hand side of the pitch, where would you exactly be standing? In hindsight, he would have been standing exactly where Godfrey mishit his pass but we all know that this would not necessarily be the correct position as his own player had the ball, in a comfortable position. There was no threat where the ball was, it could be argues if Godfrey passed inside and the ball was intercepted then Pickford was perfectly placed, if it was passed to the wing then Pickford was in the perfect position as he would have been able to go either side, depending on where the next pass went.

You cannot legislate for a poor pass by a teammate.

I am not defending his overall performance because I thought he was poor on Saturday but you are clutching at straws thinking that positional sense, in that situation, is a thing. Basically, you are saying he should be in multiple positions to anticipate every single thing that could go wrong with that pass back to him.

How is that even a logical point of view, come on.

I have one question. In that situation, if you were the keeper and your own centre back had the ball on the right hand side of the pitch, where would you exactly be standing? In hindsight, he would have been standing exactly where Godfrey mishit his pass but we all know that this would not necessarily be the correct position as his own player had the ball, in a comfortable position. There was no threat where the ball was, it could be argues if Godfrey passed inside and the ball was intercepted then Pickford was perfectly placed, if it was passed to the wing then Pickford was in the perfect position as he would have been able to go either side, depending on where the next pass went.

You cannot legislate for a poor pass by a teammate.

I am not defending his overall performance because I thought he was poor on Saturday but you are clutching at straws thinking that positional sense, in that situation, is a thing. Basically, you are saying he should be in multiple positions to anticipate every single thing that could go wrong with that pass back to him.
His general positioning in general is very poor - as a former center half at any level - I would rollick him - making him captain is a huge error imo

His general positioning in general is very poor - as a former center half at any level - I would rollick him - making him captain is a huge error imo

I would not 100% disagree but I think he is better than people think. It is in between the ears that lets him down, not the technical side of the game.

He has shown that he is getting better with the mental aspect, so hopefully he has got a bit more of that out of his system now.

I also think that you are being way too harsh based on the first game of a season. He has money in the bank after last season so let us give him time to settle into the new season.

I would not 100% disagree but I think he is better than people think. It is in between the ears that lets him down, not the technical side of the game.

He has shown that he is getting better with the mental aspect, so hopefully he has got a bit more of that out of his system now.

I also think that you are being way too harsh based on the first game of a season. He has money in the bank after last season so let us give him time to settle into the new season.
He is a great shot stopper, but to be a complete Keeper he just has never had it since joining us commanding his box - a corner feels like a pen with him sometimes -
Let's see how he turns out this season imo his name should have been no 1 out the door if we could have got it money - other clubs know his weaknesses......

Also the one he pushed straight back out to Sterling.
I think Jordan has developed a lot the past season and a halfish, but this is an area of his game that does not seem to change. Not all saves can be directed away from an attacker, but im confident thats something he can work on and improve as it adds a lot additional danger inside our own box.
Ive been harsh on Pickford in the past, and rightfully so imo, but he has come along a lot since Carlos first season, giving me more faith in him being able to correct this area of his game too.

I've found it lads, the worst take in Everton history

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220809-230052_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220809-230052_Chrome.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 110
Ffs this thread is horrific for our player of the season last year after one game where we only conceded a penalty!

Pickford was fine Saturday, would prefer will you catch more at corners but he didn’t make any real mistakes - he would’ve gathered up the fumble that Sterling got onto if Sterling had been onside.

His kicking was worse than normal because there was nothing to aim at but it’s hard to blame him for that and I think the risk to pay off is worth it when he occasionally knocks one out of play because sometimes they drop at an attackers feet and we are on the front foot.

He is a great shot stopper, but to be a complete Keeper he just has never had it since joining us commanding his box - a corner feels like a pen with him sometimes -
Let's see how he turns out this season imo his name should have been no 1 out the door if we could have got it money - other clubs know his weaknesses......

The player of the season should have been the 1st out of the door, considering the midfield we had last year, that is one extraordinary opinion.

The player of the season should have been the 1st out of the door, considering the midfield we had last year, that is one extraordinary opinion.
He had a good run in - before that he put us in trouble by not controlling his box how many corners, set pieces went in as goals against his floppy flappy punching of the ball?

Plus Rhico saved us from relegation imo ......we sold him .....

He had a good run in - before that he put us in trouble by not controlling his box how many corners, set pieces went in as goals against his floppy flappy punching of the ball?

This is a very bad take Joseph.

Pickford is one of our better players.

This is a very bad take Joseph.

Pickford is one of our better players.
Rhico was the best in the last 10 games still sold him .....- look in West days & even Nevs days we had good back up keepers - they put pressure on them - - they were good keepers in reserve - who do we have to replace Pickford ?

Virginia claimed when he came back he was now as good as Pickford, so we sent him back out on loan - he played a few times last season & never let us down, in fact he looked more than a shot stopper - he commanded his box in the games he played ..... = dropped

If Pickford was that great we would have been pressured to sell him not make him Captain - it's early days, but IMO he still has the same faults from when he arrived on crosses..... 19 goals last season or even more .....

Every time there is a corner, it's worrying - let's hope he can improve on catching the ball & not flapping on crosses...

He is a great shot stopper ....

Rhico was the best in the last 10 games still sold him .....- look in West days & even Nevs days we had good back up keepers - they put pressure on them - - they were good keepers in reserve - who do we have to replace Pickford ?

Virginia claimed when he came back he was now as good as Pickford, so we sent him back out on loan - he played a few times last season & never let us down, in fact he looked more than a shot stopper - he commanded his box in the games he played ..... = dropped

If Pickford was that great we would have been pressured to sell him not make him Captain - it's early days, but IMO he still has the same faults from when he arrived on crosses..... 19 goals last season or even more .....

Every time there is a corner, it's worrying - let's hope he can improve on catching the ball & not flapping on crosses...

He is a great shot stopper ....

Pickford wasn't the problem on corners. The absence of the best header of the ball in the league and players seemingly not having a clue where to be/who to mark was the driver of that record.

Pickford has got loads better at not coming for stuff he can't get to.

I can't remember every set piece goal but I would assume that a large proportion of them were from bad defending. He can't come for every single one and very rarely should a keeper come, in my opinion. It should only be when they believe they have a 100% chance of getting to the ball.

I do partly agree with you that it is his weakness but, for me, it is not a reason to sell when there are other areas that are more pressing. How many points did we lose because of a poor midfield compared to Pickford making a mistake?

Richarlison wanted to go, the only way we would have sold him otherwise is if somebody put an stupidly high bid.

Status
Not open for further replies.