Confirmed Signing James Tarkowski

Status
Not open for further replies.
Firstly, we clearly don’t have the money to buy everyone we need, so if we buy a younger upcoming CB, we will have to sign free transfers in other positions, probably CM.

Secondly, we may have no budget at all and be relying on sales for any purchases.

Thirdly, Tarkowski is available now on a free and he won’t wait while we decide whether to go for him. It’s now or never.

Fourthly, there is no particular reason why his performances should drop after two years. CB’s generally have a record of playing beyond 34. It is a gamble, but do is signing a more expensive youngster.
The only regular over 34 last season was Thiago Silva

Does the phrase "A meat and potatos" defender mean anything to you? I can tell you, having played the game, that a team loves an uncomplicated, get the job done, CH. Is he brilliant? Not really. Is he effective for what we need? Pretty sure.
Unless his stats , xgs and heat maps look good he ain't goin to agree. Football is played on a database to him. He never played it and I'd be surprised if he was ever at a proper game either

We have a colossal problem at the heart of our defence, we are error prone in open and we can't defend a set piece. I don't think this man is a world beater but he is much better than anything we have, apart from Mina but then he can only play a handful of games before he is out injured. Not having to pay a transfer fee is a bonus, basically we have a pay to play deal, a three year deal takes him to 32, plenty of centre halves play well to that age then Braithweight takes over. I see this as using the transfer window to address a problem. If we can bring in a defensive midfielder on the same basis I would be happy.

Does the phrase "A meat and potatos" defender mean anything to you? I can tell you, having played the game, that a team loves an uncomplicated, get the job done, CH. Is he brilliant? Not really. Is he effective for what we need? Pretty sure.
Yeah Nemanja Vidic I'd say was that. Maybe Terry too.

But we're still signing James Tarkowski

I don't know whether it is funny or sad that most of the reactions to me saying this isn't a deal I like are along the lines of "he's not good but he doesn't suck so it makes sense." Just a depressing place to see the club at.

Begs the question why villa veered off and signed another centre half

If he comes on decent wages then not so bad.

I would prefer nathan ake from city but I guess the asking price out of our league

I don't know whether it is funny or sad that most of the reactions to me saying this isn't a deal I like are along the lines of "he's not good but he doesn't suck so it makes sense." Just a depressing place to see the club at.
That is exactly the place the club is at. We aren't in a position to speculate on a half a dozen prospects at £10m a pop in the hope that two or three come good. We could, and probably should, have done that 5 years ago. But we didn't. So here we are. No amount of whinging is going to change any of that.

My problem is more that he's probably going to only do well for a year or maybe two and then we are right back in this spot. It's massive short term thinking again.
That’s where the loan for Branthwaite will come in, and may be another youngster.
We will have a solid Centre Half while preparing others to take over.
If Frank thinks he is a solid dependable centre back who will be relatively cheap, and it gives him a chance to prioritise elsewhere, I have no problem with that.
Over the course of a full season I am quite confident you will get more from Tarkowski than Mina, Holgate or Keane.

Jesus f’in Christ man. You’ve been in here every day since the thread opened posting the same words in different orders.

We get it, you’re not a fan of Tarkowski.

Give it a rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.