Confirmed Signing James Tarkowski

Status
Not open for further replies.
the crazy thing is, in another post one of them talks about how he should have gone to Villa... I sound like I'm picking on Villa today but seriously, they finished 6 points ahead of us. Had we beat Watford at home and Norwich away like we should have! Small margins is all I'm saying. The general consensus from other fans is Lampard is terrible but Gerrard is doing amazing. 6 points!!! 2 wins!!!
Just us beating them at Goodison would've done that, never mind the rest

Love our fans.

"After the end of last season we need to carry on that backing into the new season, need to be fully behind them so it doesn't happen again, we were key and made a difference"

New player signs.

Same fans: "He's rubbish, no ambition, no better than what we have, too old, too slow, waste of money, going to be relegated......"

Love our fans.

"After the end of last season we need to carry on that backing into the new season, need to be fully behind them so it doesn't happen again, we were key and made a difference"

New player signs.

Same fans: "He's rubbish, no ambition, no better than what we have, too old, too slow, waste of money, going to be relegated......"
Plan for the worst while hoping for the best?

This is exactly it.

The signing seems a bit underwhelming because at a time when we were hoping for a reset and a move in a new direction, our first signing looks like being exactly the type of player we've been signing for years. If someone like Colwill (just as someone who has been linked) comes in and a couple of the current centre halves get shipped out then it looks different. Same with the Kenny contract, if Coleman retires and Holgate is sold then suddenly it looks like a good idea, but at the moment it seems a strange move. We can obviously only comment on things as they are, not on what might happen in the future.

I think that's right. I say this as someone who likes Tarkowski, would have signed Tarkowski on the numbers suggested (I believe around 90k p/w) and can see sense in us utilising the loan/bosman markets.

The club are doing a bit review, which is meant to be highlighting 27 years of 0 trophies, 6 chaotic years under Moshiri and frankly an embarrassing last year. Thus far we have got that a DOF who was leaving has left and been replaced. The academy will emulate the first team (which Brands had already initiated) and that we would target "young, hungry players".

Essentially it was a minimalist offer for change already. The only thing that differed was the young and hungry part, and Tarkowski for all his qualities, doesn't really fit that profile. I know they are only links, but not not sure Kenny does, Winks does etc. I appreciate we havent signed them and probably need to wait, but looks like more mixed messaging from the club to me.

They really do need to work out what they are trying to do, and then communicate that better.

What's the difference between an aerial and an aerial duel?

In one of Keane's first games, he misjudged the bounce of a long ball so badly, it bounced up and hit him in the face, so maybe that's losing an aerial.

I think aerials is the raw number, where the % figure is as a proportion.

So Tarkowski wins a huge amount of aerial duals, but also loses a few.

The numbers are both quite high to be fair.

What's the difference between an aerial and an aerial duel?

In one of Keane's first games, he misjudged the bounce of a long ball so badly, it bounced up and hit him in the face, so maybe that's losing an aerial.

…I imagine an aerial dual is winning a challenge, whilst an aerial is an unchallenged clearing header. Just seeing @catcherintherye respinse which is probably more accurate than mine.

I think that’s more a symptom of the Moshiri era as a whole than any certain type of player.

I know the long contract on decent money is annoying but how do we go to any sort of decent player and say ‘I know you’ve probably got good offers from our peers in this league but please play for us we really want you even though we’re offering you two years on lower wages than they are’

I’m not sure there’s been many signings that have been met with unanimous excitement as a good buy, maybe Richarlison was the last one?

I remember really not being keen on signing Distin at his age and he turned out to be a good player. Jagielka also I wasn’t too keen on from what he’d shown at Sheffield United. They both turned out to be very good players though.

Sometimes there’s just no way of knowing until you see them perform.

I said a while back (on here) we would sign him. I'm of the opinion it will be a 3 year deal on the lower end of what's reported.

We are gambling in a 29 year old. And it is a gamble. But it's a better gamble than paying 12m for William's. Williams was bad, Weir, Stubbs were good in a similar position. Jagielka remained a very good centre back into his mid 30s.

That's where the club is at. If he was 25 and we had that certainty in performance, he probably goes for 40m.

I mean it sort of is. Off the top of my head, VVD, Maguire, Matip, Silva, Rudiger etc are all approaching 30+.
Two of the five having to actually not be 30 yet is not the greatest way to make the point.

But also VVD, Silva and Rudiger were quite good at 25 as well. You didn't need to wait until they were 29 to see the high level quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.