Confirmed Signing James Tarkowski

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is fair

However, I would point out that in most cases where people on this forum have questioned certain signings before they've played for us it's been pretty rare that the initial swathe of pessimism was proven to be wrong

Sometimes an underwhelming signing in prospect proves to be underwhelming in reality

I personally don't think Tarkowski is a bad player or anything, but I totally get the trepidation others are feeling if we're paying him a decent wedge for a rumoured 4 year contract

That smacks of us still not learning our lesson tbh

I think that’s more a symptom of the Moshiri era as a whole than any certain type of player.

I know the long contract on decent money is annoying but how do we go to any sort of decent player and say ‘I know you’ve probably got good offers from our peers in this league but please play for us we really want you even though we’re offering you two years on lower wages than they are’

I’m not sure there’s been many signings that have been met with unanimous excitement as a good buy, maybe Richarlison was the last one?

I remember really not being keen on signing Distin at his age and he turned out to be a good player. Jagielka also I wasn’t too keen on from what he’d shown at Sheffield United. They both turned out to be very good players though.

Sometimes there’s just no way of knowing until you see them perform.

Only up to a point though mate, or we may as well just resign Distin, as his advanced years will have turned him into some defensive Jedi by now?!

It could boil down to the order signings are made in. If we sign a younger CB that could - all being well - be at the heart of our defence for a decade, later in the window, then this might look more sensible. An older head who can share the load/lead on the pitch for a couple of years for little initial outlay.

As things stand, this guy is the one move we’re making to shore up an abysmal defence. Nothing about his individual ability or performances give many the confidence he’ll turn it around by himself and nothing in the short-term nature of signing him at almost 30 suggests we have the luxury of time for the move to work out.

not saying he's the answer mate, but our defence last year was putrid at times and I just can't face another year with Michael Keane being a mainstay. Tarkowski is not everyone cup of tea I know, but better more solid than what we have, also you mentioned Distin, well be didn't turn out so bad did he, though I had reservations about him as well. Tarkowski won't shirk from any challenge, he will add steel and organisation, just wish he was a bit younger myself and quicker.

Only up to a point though mate, or we may as well just resign Distin, as his advanced years will have turned him into some defensive Jedi by now?!

It could boil down to the order signings are made in. If we sign a younger CB that could - all being well - be at the heart of our defence for a decade, later in the window, then this might look more sensible. An older head who can share the load/lead on the pitch for a couple of years for little initial outlay.

As things stand, this guy is the one move we’re making to shore up an abysmal defence. Nothing about his individual ability or performances give many the confidence he’ll turn it around by himself and nothing in the short-term nature of signing him at almost 30 suggests we have the luxury of time for the move to work out.
This is exactly it.

The signing seems a bit underwhelming because at a time when we were hoping for a reset and a move in a new direction, our first signing looks like being exactly the type of player we've been signing for years. If someone like Colwill (just as someone who has been linked) comes in and a couple of the current centre halves get shipped out then it looks different. Same with the Kenny contract, if Coleman retires and Holgate is sold then suddenly it looks like a good idea, but at the moment it seems a strange move. We can obviously only comment on things as they are, not on what might happen in the future.

Last edited:
Burnley fans appear to be underwhelmed by the news
It’s understandable with the abject pain they’ll be suffering right now, that momentarily thought would be ours, before they realised they will always be Burnley and they have to dump in an outside bog.

They have my pity, and best for the future.

They haven’t taken us staying up at their expense well at all have they.
We've had one god awful season in 20 years yet they talk about us like we are fighting off relegation each and every year. Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting we are a great side but we aren't, well......... Burnley

This is exactly it.

The signing seems a bit underwhelming because at a time when we were hoping for a reset and a move in a new direction, our firs signing looks like being exactly the type of player we've been signing for years. If someone like Colwill (just as someone who has been linked) comes in and a couple of the current centre halves get shipped out then it looks different. Same with the Kenny contract, if Coleman retires and Holgate is sold then suddenly it looks like a good idea, but at the moment it seems a strange move. We can obviously only comment on things as they are, not on what might happen in the future.
You have a distinct habit of articulating what I think better than I can. Which should trouble you somewhat if we share a similar thinking process sir.

not saying he's the answer mate, but our defence last year was putrid at times and I just can't face another year with Michael Keane being a mainstay. Tarkowski is not everyone cup of tea I know, but better more solid than what we have, also you mentioned Distin, well be didn't turn out so bad did he, though I had reservations about him as well. Tarkowski won't shirk from any challenge, he will add steel and organisation, just wish he was a bit younger myself and quicker.
Totally get that mate. It’s the way the club has us thinking now: we can’t bear another season like last season, so we’re grateful for any poorly thought out transfer that’ll change things. I know every transfer is a risk but I’m just sick of the extent to which we all have to HOPE a transfer will work out. Better recruitment would give us a far greater degree of certainty as much as you can ever have it.

Distin was a great example of when this kind of thing CAN work. We had a way of playing and had just lost a good player with a couple of years left on his contract so we went for a replacement that could fit in fairly seamlessly and give us the couple of years we were gonna miss. We stayed solid defensively, got more than a couple of years and had cash in the bank from the moves overall. Those were the days!!

Although the benchmark for such signings of late is Sylvain Distin, I’d like to go a bit further back and say if he achieves 75% of a Davie Weir then I’d be delighted. Just think we need to be singing players considering room to grow and saleable value if they do grow. If he’s used to sell another of our lamentable centre backs to help FFP and still save money over the course of contract than aye, sensible.

This is exactly it.

The signing seems a bit underwhelming because at a time when we were hoping for a reset and a move in a new direction, our firs signing looks like being exactly the type of player we've been signing for years. If someone like Colwill (just as someone who has been linked) comes in and a couple of the current centre halves get shipped out then it looks different. Same with the Kenny contract, if Coleman retires and Holgate is sold then suddenly it looks like a good idea, but at the moment it seems a strange move. We can obviously only comment on things as they are, not on what might happen in the future.
Getting Colwill on loan would defo make this transfer far more palatable for me personally.

I sincerely hope you’re right mate, I just truly can’t see it.

Richarlison, in all likelihood, wants to leave. Advantage suitor(s).

We are very publicly in the mire financially and need at least one big sale if we are to do any business to improve a horrible squad. Advantage suitor(s).

Other than us just screaming “BUT HE PLAYS FOR BRAZIL” into the void, I’m really not sure what you think our bargaining tools are?

Ok, that's the weakness. The strength is that he's wanted...and probably by a number of suitors who wont want to miss out.

Overall I think we're in a decent position: a couple of years left on his contract, an experienced player in the biggest and toughest league in the world, his age is good for a sell on. Mane and Haaland will go / have gone for a snip for very particualr reasons. Richarlison will go for much more.

Although the benchmark for such signings of late is Sylvain Distin, I’d like to go a bit further back and say if he achieves 75% of a Davie Weir then I’d be delighted. Just think we need to be singing players considering room to grow and saleable value if they do grow. If he’s used to sell another of our lamentable centre backs to help FFP and still save money over the course of contract than aye, sensible.
Always freaks me out when you post sensible, football-related stuff.

I’m busy going through the first letters of every word of that post in case there’s some hidden, wacky message.

Ok, that's the weakness. The strength is that he's wanted...and probably by a number of suitors who wont want to miss out.

Overall I think we're in a decent position: a couple of years left on his contract, an experienced player in the biggest and toughest league in the world, his age is good for a sell on. Mane and Haaland will go / have gone for a snip for very particualr reasons. Richarlison will go for much more.
I think that first point is very relevant. If there are multiple suitors that helps our cause massively.

Status
Not open for further replies.