Confirmed Signing James Tarkowski

Status
Not open for further replies.
Love our fans.

"After the end of last season we need to carry on that backing into the new season, need to be fully behind them so it doesn't happen again, we were key and made a difference"

New player signs.

Same fans: "He's rubbish, no ambition, no better than what we have, too old, too slow, waste of money, going to be relegated......"

You haven’t seen anything yet.

Just wait until Harry Winks rocks up on 120k a week deal, for three years.

Even if he's bang average its better than what we have. I do feel we are still making the same mistakes though
I don’t think we have any option. Squad building is great, but we have immediate needs to sort right now and probably a limited budget. It’s not a mistake, it’s necessity.

Two of the five having to actually not be 30 yet is not the greatest way to make the point.

But also VVD, Silva and Rudiger were quite good at 25 as well. You didn't need to wait until they were 29 to see the high level quality.

I mean I think it's slightly pedantic mate, especially as Tarkowski is not yet 30. The broader point is, that there are a lot of CB's around his age or older who do well in the PL.

We are gambling on him maintaining that level, or at least not decreasing his level too drastically. At some level the club has to take gambles given the situation we are in. The question becomes which gamble gives us the best odds of success isn't it? I can see why people would think there were other alternatives, but we should be open enough to say, players don't cave in at 30 who are CB's.

I mean I think it's slightly pedantic mate, especially as Tarkowski is not yet 30. The broader point is, that there are a lot of CB's around his age or older who do well in the PL.

We are gambling on him maintaining that level, or at least not decreasing his level too drastically. At some level the club has to take gambles given the situation we are in. The question becomes which gamble gives us the best odds of success isn't it? I can see why people would think there were other alternatives, but we should be open enough to say, players don't cave in at 30 who are CB's.
My problem is more that he's probably going to only do well for a year or maybe two and then we are right back in this spot. It's massive short term thinking again.

My problem is more that he's probably going to only do well for a year or maybe two and then we are right back in this spot. It's massive short term thinking again.

Sometimes a club needs an instant fix. If he stays fit, (no reason why not), he could be a pretty decent centre half here for 3 or 4 years. And we have some really good decent CH's over the years.

"You shall not pass" is a phrase that every lad who has played the game at any level would have uttered as a defender. The Alamo if you prefer.

Firstly, we clearly don’t have the money to buy everyone we need, so if we buy a younger upcoming CB, we will have to sign free transfers in other positions, probably CM.

Secondly, we may have no budget at all and be relying on sales for any purchases.

Thirdly, Tarkowski is available now on a free and he won’t wait while we decide whether to go for him. It’s now or never.

Fourthly, there is no particular reason why his performances should drop after two years. CB’s generally have a record of playing beyond 34. It is a gamble, but do is signing a more expensive youngster.

This signing is fine, a bit meh, but fine.

The reality is we're financially hamstrung, this is the type of deal we're looking at in the short term, for better or for worse. No matter what our resident yank miserabilist might have to say about it.

Sometimes a club needs an instant fix. If he stays fit, (no reason why not), he could be a pretty decent centre half here for 3 or 4 years. And we have some really good decent CH's over the years.

"You shall not pass" is a phrase that every lad who has played the game at any level would have uttered as a defender. The Alamo if you prefer.
It's James Tarkowski not Paolo Maldini mate

Status
Not open for further replies.