Wasting Money...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheKr0w

Player Valuation: £500k
Wanted to look at our player trading activity since Moshiri took over in 2016 to understand the extent of our squad investment. It didn't make for great reading.

I've analysed 33 player purchases of which only 17 remain at the club in some capacity (14 in the squad this season).

Of the 16 players who left the club, we actually made a profit on 6 of them in the region of £59m.

However, for the other 10 departing players, we made some substantial losses to the tune of £169m.

Now, this is likely not news to anyone - but when looking at the other 17 signings made under Moshiri who are still at the club, there are 7 players whose value has decreased in their time with the club (arguably more depending on how our new signings fare in the coming seasons):

PlayerValue Change
Dominic Calvert-LewinPROFIT
Jordan PickfordPROFIT
Michael KeaneLOSS
Yerry MinaLOSS
RicharlisonPROFIT
Jarrad BranthwaitePROFIT
Jean-Philippe GbaminLOSS
Moise KeanPROFIT
Alex IwobiLOSS
Andre GomesLOSS
Niels NkounkouPROFIT
Abdoulaye DoucoureLOSS
AllanLOSS
Ben GodfreyPROFIT
Demarai GrayPROFIT
Nathan PattersonPROFIT
Vitaliy MykolenkoPROFIT

One shining light is that our recent signings in Godfrey, Gray, Patterson, Mykolenko seem astute in that they are young and based on fees paid could absolutely turn a profit - it's crucial we continue on this same initiative with our future signings to ensure we get a balance of youth at reasonable prices who provide re-sale value along with an experienced head or two on a free like Townsend who can do a job for us.

Full breakdown in the image attached - keen to hear your thoughts on our wasted money and what we can do to turn it around!?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-06-01 at 09.39.25.png
    Screenshot 2022-06-01 at 09.39.25.png
    169.8 KB · Views: 96

I mean it's hardly news: older signings are worth less after a few seasons with us, some younger players we overpaid for. You can't get it right 100% of the time. I suspect most clubs have a list like this.
Nothing like as bad.

I wonder if the real issue is that we have overpaid for those players shown as loss but they have not made any tangible contribution to improving our league performance.

Had some of them had a greater impact and given us something to celebrate, I do not think we would be too bothered.

This does emphasise the need for us to get signings right, leave the job to Lampard and Thelwell. which hopefully stop interference by Moshiri or whoever.

I wonder if the real issue is that we have overpaid for those players shown as loss but they have not made any tangible contribution to improving our league performance.

Had some of them had a greater impact and given us something to celebrate, I do not think we would be too bothered.

This does emphasise the need for us to get signings right, leave the job to Lampard and Thelwell. which hopefully stop interference by Moshiri or whoever.
Great point. We’ve spent big on fees and wages and have not ever secured European football.

We've wasted money :eek: I'm shocked, I thought we were doing so well.

Not just wasted it we've been damn right negligent and it is no longer just 'monopoly money' is it, that attitude nearly sunk us. Our record buy is still nowhere near a lot of teams operating above us but we've paid champions league wages to sub standard and injury prone players.

If we extend Delph's contract for instance, we deserve all we get, the blokes bled us dry and he's not the only one.

Wanted to look at our player trading activity since Moshiri took over in 2016 to understand the extent of our squad investment. It didn't make for great reading.

I've analysed 33 player purchases of which only 17 remain at the club in some capacity (14 in the squad this season).

Of the 16 players who left the club, we actually made a profit on 6 of them in the region of £59m.

However, for the other 10 departing players, we made some substantial losses to the tune of £169m.

Now, this is likely not news to anyone - but when looking at the other 17 signings made under Moshiri who are still at the club, there are 7 players whose value has decreased in their time with the club (arguably more depending on how our new signings fare in the coming seasons):

PlayerValue Change
Dominic Calvert-LewinPROFIT
Jordan PickfordPROFIT
Michael KeaneLOSS
Yerry MinaLOSS
RicharlisonPROFIT
Jarrad BranthwaitePROFIT
Jean-Philippe GbaminLOSS
Moise KeanPROFIT
Alex IwobiLOSS
Andre GomesLOSS
Niels NkounkouPROFIT
Abdoulaye DoucoureLOSS
AllanLOSS
Ben GodfreyPROFIT
Demarai GrayPROFIT
Nathan PattersonPROFIT
Vitaliy MykolenkoPROFIT

One shining light is that our recent signings in Godfrey, Gray, Patterson, Mykolenko seem astute in that they are young and based on fees paid could absolutely turn a profit - it's crucial we continue on this same initiative with our future signings to ensure we get a balance of youth at reasonable prices who provide re-sale value along with an experienced head or two on a free like Townsend who can do a job for us.

Full breakdown in the image attached - keen to hear your thoughts on our wasted money and what we can do to turn it around!?

Its more the wages and amortisation killing us then transfer fees.

Outgoings help admittedly and ideally you want a return on an investment, but its not without a risk. People think transfers are about ownership but its not really, you are paying for a service for specific period of time, you are paying another club for the registration of the player for a time limited period. Ultimately though the services we are purchasing are poor value, registration drops in value, no market for the players and we are dragged down by wages or amortisation, that mean the losses we see annually.

Its a bit more nuanced then that though, take Keane his contract is well amortised so his book price is low, so really we are only paying wages at this stage, so anything we are likely to get for him we bank in terms of fee. Gomes book price is 10 mill, so if we sold him for that this summer, its looks like we made a loss, but we wont have to pay his annual 11 odd million in wages and amortisation for two years, so really the value of the deal for us is about 30 million. This is what is meant as trying to clear the wage bill.

More realistically if we sell Richarilsion his book value is 14 million, so to take an arbitrary figure of 50 mill that we may sell him for, we clear 36 million in fee, but save £25.2 million in wages and amortisation, over the last two years of his contract. Obviously we have to fund a replacement.

Objectively we have made some rotten investments, Sigurdsson stands out, 40 odd million, high amortisation, high wage (14mill a year), and essentially nothing coming back, he essentially cost us the guts of 100 mill with no return and i actually rate him as a player.

Last edited:
Maybe get a profit for Holgate too?, he not on the lists

See this is another thing someone like Holgate is goal dust, costs us very little and contributes to the squad which means funds can be directed elsewhere, Coleman the best of all time, Davies similarly. Players like that are financial mana. If they hit a level you can bank its pure profit - this would be DCL.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.