Wasting Money...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think ~£234m on Sigurdsson, Mina, Bolasie, Tosun, Keane, Gomes, Schneiderlin and Iwobi says it all. And that's excluding wages. In reality we've spent over £350m on them.

Easily more than half of what we need to pay for Bramley Moore stadium for players who've actively made us substantially worse.

I don't think we'll ever get more than our money back on Godfrey, but Branthwaite, DCL (£40m would be about a 30-fold profit) and even Gray (£8m would be a 5-fold profit) could all be sold for huge profits, should we ever decide to sell them.

It's a shame that our highest purchases have turned out to be our biggest flops whereas our best signings were signed cheaply and may be first in line to leave as we need the money.

Profit on ben godfrey? What was he 25m?
Be very very lucky to break even. Godfrey is over rated by to many Everton fans.
Was just about to post same - if we sold now, no chance we’re getting more than we paid for him. Massively overrated, a centre back who can’t head the ball.

Profit on ben godfrey? What was he 25m?
Be very very lucky to break even. Godfrey is over rated by to many Everton fans.

Was just about to post same - if we sold now, no chance we’re getting more than we paid for him. Massively overrated, a centre back who can’t head the ball.

Godfrey has youth & being English on his side. He will have admirers within the league for these reasons alone. Many English CBs who aren't great go for substantial fees. A decent full season behind him and it's absolutely within the realms of possibility that we see a profit.

Godfrey has youth & being English on his side. He will have admirers within the league for these reasons alone. Many English CBs who aren't great go for substantial fees. A decent full season behind him and it's absolutely within the realms of possibility that we see a profit.
At the moment he’s not had a decent full season and a centre back who’s biggest weakness is heading and positional sense is not going for north of £20 million. We paid for potential, that potential he to be realised for us to make a profit on him.

Maguire to Manchester United, proves your case.

However, for the other 10 departing players, we made some substantial losses to the tune of £169m.

Now, this is likely not news to anyone
- but when looking at the other 17 signings made under Moshiri who are still at the club, there are 7 players whose value has decreased in their time with the club (arguably more depending on how our new signings fare in the coming seasons):

PlayerValue Change
Dominic Calvert-LewinPROFIT
Jordan PickfordPROFIT
Michael KeaneLOSS
Yerry MinaLOSS
RicharlisonPROFIT
Jarrad BranthwaitePROFIT
Jean-Philippe GbaminLOSS
Moise KeanPROFIT
Alex IwobiLOSS
Andre GomesLOSS
Niels NkounkouPROFIT
Abdoulaye DoucoureLOSS
AllanLOSS
Ben GodfreyPROFIT
Demarai GrayPROFIT
Nathan PattersonPROFIT
Vitaliy MykolenkoPROFIT

One shining light is that our recent signings in Godfrey, Gray, Patterson, Mykolenko seem astute in that they are young and based on fees paid could absolutely turn a profit - it's crucial we continue on this same initiative with our future signings to ensure we get a balance of youth at reasonable prices who provide re-sale value along with an experienced head or two on a free like Townsend who can do a job for us.

Full breakdown in the image attached - keen to hear your thoughts on our wasted money and what we can do to turn it around!?

I mean it's hardly news: older signings are worth less after a few seasons with us, some younger players we overpaid for. You can't get it right 100% of the time. I suspect most clubs have a list like this.

Perceptive as ever

He's in his mid twenties. Not that youthful.
To many aspects of his game need improving. His pace and attitude are pluses for him. But he's still to raw for me. That slice clearence that gave burnley the win. I find it hard to forget that. That had norwich city still stamped all over it.

A players value is the same as any object in the world, their worth is what another team will pay for them above a threshold that we would accept the deal.

I hate all of these fantasy figures and nonsense, honestly it’s the second worst thing about the modern game.

Newcastle decided to spend £25m on Chris Wood. I’m sure nobody on Burnley’s forum would’ve expected that just like nobody on Swansea’s forum would expect us to have given the £45m for Sigurdsson. By the same token we got James for free and sold him for an undisclosed fee - does that make him a profit considering we probably gave him around £150kpw?

I care about watching Everton play football well and winning games. My job involves financial analysis, not my sport.

A players value is the same as any object in the world, their worth is what another team will pay for them above a threshold that we would accept the deal.

I hate all of these fantasy figures and nonsense, honestly it’s the second worst thing about the modern game.

Newcastle decided to spend £25m on Chris Wood. I’m sure nobody on Burnley’s forum would’ve expected that just like nobody on Swansea’s forum would expect us to have given the £45m for Sigurdsson. By the same token we got James for free and sold him for an undisclosed fee - does that make him a profit considering we probably gave him around £150kpw?

I care about watching Everton play football well and winning games. My job involves financial analysis, not my sport.
Never understand reactions to threads like this...the title says Wasting Money... yet despite hating such nonsense you felt compelled to click into the thread solely to state you don't like these threads?

This is like Ricky Gervais' joke about someone seeing a poster on a wall saying FREE GUITAR LESSONS to then ring the number and shout "I DON'T WANT GUITAR LESSONS" - clearly the thread just isn't for you then so move on?

That being said... you're right, a player's worth is determined by what other clubs are willing to pay. My judgment on Godfrey's profit is that there's potential a club would pay more for him than we did.

Never understand reactions to threads like this...the title says Wasting Money... yet despite hating such nonsense you felt compelled to click into the thread solely to state you don't like these threads?

This is like Ricky Gervais' joke about someone seeing a poster on a wall saying FREE GUITAR LESSONS to then ring the number and shout "I DON'T WANT GUITAR LESSONS" - clearly the thread just isn't for you then so move on?

That being said... you're right, a player's worth is determined by what other clubs are willing to pay. My judgment on Godfrey's profit is that there's potential a club would pay more for him than we did.
I love Gervais but your analogy doesn’t work. A thread called wasting money could be on the value of a player’s contribution. If the thread was called ‘made up values for players we haven’t sold and who I think we could turn a profit on’ I absolutely wouldn’t have clicked the thread.

Overall nobody can argue that the return we got from paying near 30 million on Bolasie was not value for money. You could also talk about how less than 10 million for Gueye who was great on the pitch and we doubled on our money on when we sold him was excellent business.

What I’ve got no time for is guessing what people will pay for a player who’s I don’t think we’ve ever received an offer for. So yeah, I’ll leave you to it and not click back again.

I love Gervais but your analogy doesn’t work. A thread called wasting money could be on the value of a player’s contribution. If the thread was called ‘made up values for players we haven’t sold and who I think we could turn a profit on’ I absolutely wouldn’t have clicked the thread.

Overall nobody can argue that the return we got from paying near 30 million on Bolasie was not value for money. You could also talk about how less than 10 million for Gueye who was great on the pitch and we doubled on our money on when we sold him was excellent business.

What I’ve got no time for is guessing what people will pay for a player who’s I don’t think we’ve ever received an offer for. So yeah, I’ll leave you to it and not click back again.
I mean the thread is sort of both. Predicted values of current players is one aspect, sure - but the attachment also shows the aspects you mentioned of players we HAVE sold and the good/bad business.

The speculation on relative value of current players was an attempt to determine what the potential of us conducting further good/bad business may be.

But yeah, you've raised some good points so regardless of your preference for these type of threads I've appreciated your contribution ?

Its more the wages and amortisation killing us then transfer fees.

Outgoings help admittedly and ideally you want a return on an investment, but its not without a risk. People think transfers are about ownership but its not really, you are paying for a service for specific period of time, you are paying another club for the registration of the player for a time limited period. Ultimately though the services we are purchasing are poor value, registration drops in value, no market for the players and we are dragged down by wages or amortisation, that mean the losses we see annually.

Its a bit more nuanced then that though, take Keane his contract is well amortised so his book price is low, so really we are only paying wages at this stage, so anything we are likely to get for him we bank in terms of fee. Gomes book price is 10 mill, so if we sold him for that this summer, its looks like we made a loss, but we wont have to pay his annual 11 odd million in wages and amortisation for two years, so really the value of the deal for us is about 30 million. This is what is meant as trying to clear the wage bill.

More realistically if we sell Richarilsion his book value is 14 million, so to take an arbitrary figure of 50 mill that we may sell him for, we clear 36 million in fee, but save £25.2 million in wages and amortisation, over the last two years of his contract. Obviously we have to fund a replacement.

Objectively we have made some rotten investments, Sigurdsson stands out, 40 odd million, high amortisation, high wage (14mill a year), and essentially nothing coming back, he essentially cost us the guts of 100 mill with no return and i actually rate him as a player.

Wages is the silent killer. To get anywhere near challenging you have to have a wage bill that cannot be supported unless you are regular CL qualifiers.

Other teams get around this by making regular sales to subsidise the wage bill, which needs to be our approach moving forward.

Wages is the silent killer. To get anywhere near challenging you have to have a wage bill that cannot be supported unless you are regular CL qualifiers.

Other teams get around this by making regular sales to subsidise the wage bill, which needs to be our approach moving forward.

It’s what we do with our wages in application mate, we have Gomes, Yerry and before that Bernard on more money then Richarlison, who has contributed significantly more.

Even in Jan we brought in Dele and VDB with reported 100k weekly wages, again Richarlison contributed significantly more.

When you look what our highest earners take Vs contribution, it’s not great or value.

Status
Not open for further replies.