Wasting Money...

Status
Not open for further replies.
We need more signings like Dominic but the fan base don't have the patience and to be fair I suppose at the moment we need upgrades no matter the age.

I wonder how our fans would have reacted to a 33 years old Perisic. I think age is irrelevant if the player improves you to a point where he was worth it. (put this in here as it's about spending and a lot seem to get upset by no resale value)

Maybe even slightly off topic but the OP highlights for me how money has ruined the game. It's not just us, many others have invested 10's of millions unwisely... But we're amongst the worst. But all of that detracts from... We're a football club, not an investment management footballing club! I long for days of yore when Kendall put together his wonderful all conquering side, then it was about building a team, matching talent with a style of play and achieving legendary status through on the pitch achievements. I'm obviously getting old, but modern football is not the wonderful thing that it used to be.

We need more signings like Dominic but the fan base don't have the patience and to be fair I suppose at the moment we need upgrades no matter the age.

I wonder how our fans would have reacted to a 33 years old Perisic. I think age is irrelevant if the player improves you to a point where he was worth it. (put this in here as it's about spending and a lot seem to get upset by no resale value)

This is the dilemma i think the club find themself in. Ancelotti brought allen and rodriguez in as the need for instant upgrades. Good or bad is another debate but thats what the signings were for.
Ancelotti though is similar to Conte. I dont see Conte at spurs long. Perisic is a quality player and an instant signing for them. But also dropping into a decent side.
The dilemma part is we're not. But i think we may have to mix it up with a few instant signings because i fear next season if we go into it with a lot of the same players. Rumour is lampard and thelwell want to buy younger players. No problem with me on that. But we're so poor in quality that i think one or two insurances might need adding aswell for next season.

I think there must be around 10 players that we would ideally shift at this point. Keep hold of the 4 or 5 good players we have at all costs. And add a few decent ones. The problem, as others have said, is the wages we pay. Nobody wants to sign poor players who are on big wages, and as a result there are a few we can’t shift. It would be nice if we could dig our heels in and keep hold of Richarlison and Dom, but the reality is we are more likely to sell one or both, than we are to flog 5 average/poor midfielders. It sucks that we seem to be in a position where we can’t keep hold of all of our better players. The contracts we have given to some others are the main reason why. We need a handful of talented youngsters to appear, or I think the next 3 years are just about surviving, and eventually shifting most of the deadwood.

I mean it's hardly news: older signings are worth less after a few seasons with us, some younger players we overpaid for. You can't get it right 100% of the time. I suspect most clubs have a list like this.

The only way to profit consistently from transfers is to sell players near peak value, which usually means before their peak productivity. So you’re buying young talent and selling them to bigger clubs. Then you have to aggregate more gains than losses. It’s a fools errand, all of the “big clubs” will realize losses if they do it right, and by “do it right” I mean construct a squad built to win by getting peak production from their squad.

Iwobi might make a less if we sold but considering what he did in the last few months of the season that loss would be worth it

We've wasted money :eek: I'm shocked, I thought we were doing so well.

Not just wasted it we've been damn right negligent and it is no longer just 'monopoly money' is it, that attitude nearly sunk us. Our record buy is still nowhere near a lot of teams operating above us but we've paid champions league wages to sub standard and injury prone players.

If we extend Delph's contract for instance, we deserve all we get, the blokes bled us dry and he's not the only one.

No chance Delph gets extended. Even Everton aren't that stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.