2021/22 Seamus Coleman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually thought the 3 ATB might be a small revitalizer to his career. Worked for Azpilicueta.

That’s saying nothing though about how much I hated the 3 ATB.

He's obviously a great captain. Too many people have called out his leadership skills to deny that, so it would be foolish for any fans with no inside knowledge to try to dispute it. Yet he's no longer reliable at this level and it's completely understandable. His mate Baines knew when to call it a day, and I think he'll have one more season as a squad player before retiring at the end of his deal in June 2023. You'd be foolish to walk away on a guaranteed 2/3m million just because the fans don't think you're up to it, even if you're already loaded.

He's obviously a great captain. Too many people have called out his leadership skills to deny that, so it would be foolish for any fans with no inside knowledge to try to dispute it. Yet he's no longer reliable at this level and it's completely understandable. His mate Baines knew when to call it a day, and I think he'll have one more season as a squad player before retiring at the end of his deal in June 2023. You'd be foolish to walk away on a guaranteed 2/3m million just because the fans don't think you're up to it, even if you're already loaded.
Seamus is a symbol of the club's predicament: a microcosm of our decline. He has been an honest servant over the years. As an Irishman, he has been our only leading representative in top-flight English football. He is admired in Ireland for that. But he is well past what he was now and has been on the slide for five years. His only role at the club should be as a non-playing club captain who is called on in an emergency. He cannot be considered a regular starter if Lampard is vaguely serious about making a success of his job. One thing I will say about Seamus is he never hid. He was always available in this crisis. I respect him for that - but his days as a first teamer MUST end now. He should be transitioned to the coaching staff and kept in reserve for injury crises and then retire from playing next summer.

So glad he got absolution after his error for the second. Had a patchy season with awful and good games. Got a lot of respect for him. Never hid.

But he is at the point he needs to be phased out. Whether the plan was for Patterson to be eased in this season or if he's for the future, who knows. I'd be looking for a starting right back for next season regardless.

He’s 34 this year. Good age and good time to slip into the coaching side if he wants that. Just cannot be our starting full-back next year if we don’t want to repeat this season.

he needs to learn his coaching skills elsewhere, we need the best coaches in. if he becomes a top coach then bring him back.

He can’t just choose to be a squad player though. We have to have a better alternative to put on the field in his place

Status
Not open for further replies.