Match Thread Everton v Brentford. Preview, Match Report and MotM poll

Your Everton MOTM vs Brentford

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just had a panic attack reading that :(
It's not an implausible set of results, is it?

It is definitely on the dark side, though, so let's keep that in mind.

These two home games will determine it, I think. My fear is we are better against sides who dominate possession. Are Brentford and Palace likely to do that? I worry we'll fall short of the four points against these two because we get caught between attacking - which we have to do - and defending deep - which we are competent at. We badly need the cushion of a Leeds defeat on Sunday...

The blue smoke of Goodison Park will turn to a red mist as we suffer a home defeat. I also believe that Burnley and Leeds Utd will lose. So, a chance will be missed, but not the end of the World.

EVEBRE.jpg

It's not an implausible set of results, is it?

It is definitely on the dark side, though, so let's keep that in mind.

These two home games will determine it, I think. My fear is we are better against sides who dominate possession. Are Brentford and Palace likely to do that? I worry we'll fall short of the four points against these two because we get caught between attacking - which we have to do - and defending deep - which we are competent at. We badly need the cushion of a Leeds defeat on Sunday...
I just want this feeling of impending doom to be over. For me, the Brentford game is bigger than Palace as it sets our stall out for the last three games. Losing to Brentford will destroy us mentally and will hand the initiative over to Leeds/Burnley.

For us to go down both Leeds and Burnley need win 2 more games, that's 4 results go against us and us to get less then 4 points from 3 games including 2 at home.
Or, both Leeds and Burnley too both win one more game and us lose all 3.
It's so unlikely to happen I'm stress free going into the weekend, too many games all have to go wrong.
We lose 3 games and they both win 1 each, that's 5 results, go the bookies and put a fiver on it and see the odds, we're laughing

Gun to head, in my worst moments, I am resigned to:

Tottenham H 1-1 Burnley
Leeds Unted 2-1 Brighton and Hove Albion
Everton 1-2 Brentford

Everton 1-1 Crystal Palace
Aston Villa 2-1 Burnley

Burnley 3-1 Newcastle United
Brentford 1-2 Leeds United
Arsenal 2-0 Everton

Leeds 40
Burnley 38
Everton 37

In a nutshell, Sunday is massive. This team, as feeble and hopeless as they are, MUST seize the moment now. Only a win will do on Sunday. We need four points from these two home games. This is the acid test and moment of truth. Failure means relegation and another sacked manager. Put up or shut up time, lads.

@matty1878

For us to go down both Leeds and Burnley need win 2 more games, that's 4 results go against us and us to get less then 4 points from 3 games including 2 at home.
Or, both Leeds and Burnley too both win one more game and us lose all 3.
It's so unlikely to happen I'm stress free going into the weekend, too many games all have to go wrong.
We lose 3 games and they both win 1 each, that's 5 results, go the bookies and put a fiver on it and see the odds, we're laughing
Erm, no. We are 2 points ahead of Leeds and Burnley. If they win once and we lose all of our remaining games we will be relegated.

Erm, no. We are 2 points ahead of Leeds and Burnley. If they win once and we lose all of our remaining games we will be relegated.
Yeah, I said that, it's one of the highly unlikely scenarios.
Safe as houses us, unless a freak chain of events unfolds

Correct Score: Everton 1-0 Brentford (Sky Bet odds: 6/1)​

• Sky Sports: Sunday, 16:30
Everton have pulled themselves two points clear of danger after a strong run of form that has seen them pick up 11 points from a possible 18, and on Sunday they welcome Brentford to Goodison Park, a place they are unbeaten in four, winning three.

Their home process of 1.05 xGF and 0.99 xGA per game under Frank Lampard perfectly illustrates how difficult they are to beat at home, and another win could be enough to secure safety - this is a great opportunity to get it.

Brentford will be a tough out though, and head to Merseyside having won six of nine, but it is worth noting their two defeats in that time have come on the road.

The Bees have been poor travellers from an underlying number standpoint this term, especially compared to their home process, averaging 1.22 xGF and 1.78 xGA per game. This looks a great opportunity for the Toffees to get another win.

People simply have no confidence in these players. I'll speak for myself. I have zero confidence in pretty much any of them. Richarlison can be relied on to miss a gilt-edged chance if he has to think about it. Gray has no brain, so thinking means he malfunctions. The defence is a clown show when we try to defend anything other than our own goal line. The manager is inexperienced and has taken a while to tweak that maybe these players cannot play in the more front-footed manner he favours.

When you put all of that together, ANY point is a positive - even at relegated Watford, who hammered us 5-2 at home already this season.

People are "happy to surrender" two points because we are suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder - except we still cannot call it "post" because it is an ongoing ordeal.

This team is more than capable of going down next Sunday. We are hoping to fall over the line. If we cannot do that, there is always the hope that Burnley or Leeds will drop-out before we even see the finish. In these circumstances, people content themselves with a point because this team is as feeble and flawed as has ever pulled on an Everton shirt in my 41 years of fandom.
Put very well mate, fair play. I disagree solely on the basis that this was the ONE time all season we had anything resembling momentum and so the stars seemed to have aligned when they lost their best players.

Status
Not open for further replies.