ESSG

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s not a response to #27, it’s come about as a result of the Fan Led Review of football by the DCMS and headed up by Tracey Crouch.
I'm saying the timing of the release of information about it has been coordinated to quiet the discontent with the board. This group might have its origins in the fan led review but nothing has been mandated yet so why announce this now when there are so few details about the arrangement?

Nothing has been set in stone or outlined clearly. It smacks of a PR exercise a week after they came under fire at the derby.

Apologies gents..... I don't come on this all day, everyday and was out, so I missed your replies and can't reply to them all as I've still got a dog to walk and butties to make, before another trip to London.

I've clearly stated that I am on the exec of the Shareholders association and explained its connection with the steering group.... and have not tried to hide anything and to suggest otherwise is nonsense.

I understand people's concerns about transparency etc but also know some people love a drama and a conspiracy theory and some of these ravings are laughable and inane. I don't profess to know the whole story because as I've said, my involvement has been indirect and I may have missed the odd meeting of the EFCSA. However, the simple chronology as far as I know it is as follows: All clubs have had to react to the governance issue following the attempted breakaway by the infamous 6. They knew that the Government was looking at it and new legislation might even be in the pipeline, so they wanted to start the process to be ahead of the game. I believe the club initially just wanted the fans forum to act as a working party to look at the issue of better fan representation (on the board). The chairman of the fans forum insisted that it needed a far bigger grouping than just themselves to maintain independence of the process....... and invited representation from several registered fan groups to give a much broader discussion forum for this working party.

This working group looked at what was going on elsewhere, tried to gauge opinion using surveys and conducted workshops, feeding back results and progress to their respective groups.

The result is a simple basic broadbrush proposal to get a fan director on the board with an advisory group beneath him. I don't think any of that is particularly sinister and at the end of the day we all get to nominate and vote for the candidates. If you don't like the proposals contact them and say why. If you don't like the candidates, nominate you own. That's how the democratic process works.

As you were.....
This is so so dangerous and is the first step on the path to all out war. It will go like this
You don't like the candidates then nominate your own

If you want to nominate a candidate why don't you join one of the associated groups, pay your sub and nominate someone

You stand on the outside shouting and roaring, asking questions but you won't become an official member where you could have your say officially

You haven't joined any of the affiliated groups so your not entitled to be heard

Your not even a real fan, I am

I have seen it first hand over the last ten years, small club, completely different economies of scale but the principles and the way this will split the fans into those who believe they are superior and those they believe should be happy to be told what they are told, is absolutely inevitable, the only question that remains is how long will it take?

This is so so dangerous and is the first step on the path to all out war. It will go like this
You don't like the candidates then nominate your own

If you want to nominate a candidate why don't you join one of the associated groups, pay your sub and nominate someone

You stand on the outside shouting and roaring, asking questions but you won't become an official member where you could have your say officially

You haven't joined any of the affiliated groups so your not entitled to be heard

Your not even a real fan, I am

I have seen it first hand over the last ten years, small club, completely different economies of scale but the principles and the way this will split the fans into those who believe they are superior and those they believe should be happy to be told what they are told, is absolutely inevitable, the only question that remains is how long will it take?

It's a bugger this democracy stuff isn't it.........? As far as I know you won't have to be a member of any official group other than perhaps being a season ticket holder or club member to prove that you're an Evertonian. Which seems pretty reasonable to me.....

It's a bugger this democracy stuff isn't it.........? As far as I know you won't have to be a member of any official group other than perhaps being a season ticket holder or club member to prove that you're an Evertonian. Which seems pretty reasonable to me.....
Hmmmm that sounds like a money grab for those fan associations to me.

As an overseas fan my only choice now is to sign up and pay the overseas supporters groups a membership fee before my voice will even possibly be considered by this Fan Advisory Board?

Hmmmm...

That sounds like an entry barrier to this democracy you are preaching.

I have to pay for the right to have a voice.

Its not a democracy when everyone dosent have the same say or when everyones opinion isnt equally valued

As an overseas fan my only choice now is to sign up and pay the overseas supporters groups a membership fee before my voice will even possibly be considered by this Fan Advisory Board?

Hmmmm...

You also need to know who David Francis is to be an Evertonian apparently

Isn't the saying Evertonians are born not manufactured

Smacks of something from North Korea all this nonsense

Fan representation on the board is still vague and doesn't necessarily equate to a board vote.

If it is being mandated by the government then Everton get no credit for doing it now. They're just getting ahead of the regulation to use it for PR.
They're already behind Spurs, ManU and the RS in their planning for fan representation on the board.

@Tom Hughes - you've said you are not part of the ESSG but, by the information you have imparted on here, you are clearly close to one or more of the 'movers and shakers' of the ESSG...

So, are you able to clarify something about the meeting - I assume it was by Zoom - between the ESSG and club officials...

On Twitter earlier today, John Blain (Chairman of the EFCSA) suggested that there was no reason why the minutes of the meeting could not be published, and within minutes, Dave Kelly (the foodbank Blue not the Davek on here) objected as 'no minutes were taken, there was no agenda and no chair of the meeting'

So if there was no chair of the meeting, no agenda and no minutes, please can you advise why not?
I would assume that the club 'hosted' the meeting and as such, probably the CEO was involved and potentially the Director of Communications given the club formally announced the meeting had taken place but, conveniently without one attributable quote from either a club official or a member of ESSG.

With respect Tom, you've mentioned transparency a lot - pray clarify the transparency of the above ?
@Tom Hughes - did you manage to get round to replying to this ?

Is it a requirement to know who he is?

Requirement? You didn't know who the owner of the Everton collection was. The largest collection of any football club's historic material and memorabilia in the world. A fella who was awarded an OBE for services to football history and has been involved in multiple initiatives with our club and AKA Dr Everton.

You thought you were making a strong point when you were only showing a lack of knowledge of the club you claimed to have supported for over 30yrs.

You've had your "Samuelson" moment....
(You might need to look him up too)

Last edited:

I'm saying the timing of the release of information about it has been coordinated to quiet the discontent with the board. This group might have its origins in the fan led review but nothing has been mandated yet so why announce this now when there are so few details about the arrangement?

Nothing has been set in stone or outlined clearly. It smacks of a PR exercise a week after they came under fire at the derby.

Hmmmm...

Overseas supporters groups were represented in the working group. If you are a member of one of those you can take it up with them..... if not, you could be anyone. Are you suggesting that anyone should be able to vote for a fan director?

Not wanting to go back over many pages of arguments etc; can anyone summarise what is the point of this group and what they are hoping to achieve?

Not making any judgement; just want to understand where they are coming from and what they want.

Status
Not open for further replies.