Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Haha an Atticus Finch! That sounds very heavy although I imagine it’s a topic close to your heart.

Well at least you didn’t end up in conveyancing. You’re a Barrister! I’m very impressed. I remember when the Solicitor I worked under had to instruct counsel for whatever reason - they used to sometimes get a brief and the bundles late in the evening but could go out and bat the next morning. Incredible.
Thank you mate but don’t be impressed by me. I’m just doing my what works for me.

I’m a Toffee, die hard Blue who puts a game face on for work but I struggle with being able to just relax. For an Everton game I can give 110% but any other game or TV show I am anxious. No reason for it but I am flicking the paper, scanning the phone or similar nonsense.

Gotta work on this relaxation thing.

We all make decisions mate, rightly or wrongly and sometimes we can regret them but at the time of making them they make sense.

My dad passed away last August (he left us when I was 11) but growing up, becoming an adult and a father myself I tried time after time to get the relationship to work but it wasn't to be. I didn't attend his funeral, I never got tosay goodbye, never got to say I love him, never got to pull him up over all the pain he caused the family over the years.....but....my conscience is clear with my particular decision and every now and then a song comes on the radio that reminds me of him and I look up and say "hey you daft sod I hope your alright and I still love you".

Sorry mate, probably gone off on one a bit there haven't I. I just wouldn't want you beating yourself up when I reckon you would have made the decision in good faith at the time not to go the funeral or not try and speak to him at that particular time.
Good thing you went off a bit because your post was very reassuring and a comment that Spotty has appreciated.

Thank you mate but don’t be impressed by me. I’m just doing my what works for me.

I’m a Toffee, die hard Blue who puts a game face on for work but I struggle with being able to just relax. For an Everton game I can give 110% but any other game or TV show I am anxious. No reason for it but I am flicking the paper, scanning the phone or similar nonsense.

Is that something you’ve always struggled with? The anxiety and restlessness?

No you didn't go off on one bud. I've made some howlers in my life and had no right to cast judgement on him. Just get days when I reflect and think I failed him. I believe in God, was raised a Catholic and believe I will see my loved ones again but I very very much regret what I didn't do. We all make mistakes yes, but that one remains very fresh dispute the years. Still my bad days are sporadic thankfully.

He’ll have forgiven you and will be eagerly waiting to see you again. Until that day you deserve to be free from any regret or sorrow.

It'll be the resumption of them host community parades after lockdown thats stopping you from relaxing. The fire burns true

Not posted in a while but am going through a bit of tough time at the moment. Things had been pretty good for a pro-longed period but over the past few months frustration has built up about something and I can't hold it in anymore.

I work in a stable place and most of the people I get on with, it's not a long term thing but it finally seemed a good fit for me to get my head down and just settle for a while whilst I slowly planned out my future. A few months ago however someone joined who sits directly next to me whom I just can't bare. It's a personality clash mostly, I'm a quiet and private sort but he's a talker whom constantly tries to force conversations about anything, even dropping comments about things that make me really want to snap at him for being so arrogant and disrespectful. It doesn't help that he's constantly over-stepping himself, trying to pick and choose the work he does (always trying to avoid one thing but will always try to be the first when it's time to do another thing) and the fact he's always seeking gossip. I've learnt others in the place feel the same but have to deal with him far less so it doesnt affect them as much. They just think he's ignorant/thick but I trust my read of people and to me he acts friendly but is actually very slimey. Even at the end of the days he always wants to walk together but I've shut that right down, i just throw my headphones in and walk on ahead of him or purposely stay behind to make sure he gets the message (I think he has now but bloody hell it took WEEKS of this). Once we're out of the workplace I refuse to stomach him.

Has anyone been through something similar or have any advice? Much appreciated.

Last edited: