Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

I hate running tbh. I see it as a means to an end, not an end in itself. I love hiking and ‘climbing’ and it’s one of the few physical pursuits I’m good at (I’m 6 ft 7 with long legs). Problem is I don’t drive so that limits what I can do.
You can get a train from Wolverhampton to Edale in The Peak District, plenty of walking routes there.

I hate running tbh. I see it as a means to an end, not an end in itself. I love hiking and ‘climbing’ and it’s one of the few physical pursuits I’m good at (I’m 6 ft 7 with long legs). Problem is I don’t drive so that limits what I can do.

Ketamine is one of the few drugs I’ve never really taken to. I had a very heavy spell on mushrooms in my early twenties (my favourite drug by a mile) so I enjoy hallucinogenic drugs, but K is hard to place. Neither here nor there for me.

I’m an idealist at heart so the ‘alive’ feeling I talk about isn’t so much physical as intellectual. My friend who came over to comfort me did philosophy at Kings College Cambridge - he’s fiercely intelligent but we grew up together and just chatting with him makes me feel so full of hope and ‘alive’.

All that being said I think the idea of a physical pursuit to replace drug use is a solid idea. Just need to find the right thing.
Do you read much mate? There is wisdom and a better kind of escapism alive within the pages of the 'right' books.

Ketamine is one of the few drugs I’ve never really taken to. I had a very heavy spell on mushrooms in my early twenties (my favourite drug by a mile) so I enjoy hallucinogenic drugs, but K is hard to place. Neither here nor there for me.

I’m an idealist at heart so the ‘alive’ feeling I talk about isn’t so much physical as intellectual. My friend who came over to comfort me did philosophy at Kings College Cambridge - he’s fiercely intelligent but we grew up together and just chatting with him makes me feel so full of hope and ‘alive’.

All that being said I think the idea of a physical pursuit to replace drug use is a solid idea. Just need to find the right thing.

Im biased but if you aint into the generic running/cycling scene you could do worse than sign up to a local martial arts dojo / MMA gym and take up some classes as you'll quickly start to take time out and research/learn a particular martial art and its origins/disciplines and it does somewhat take over a big part of your free time which sometimes can benefit you when you're trying to clear your mind / find a distraction.

In terms of the adrenaline rush you mentioned I've done BJJ on and off for about 12 years and even now the rush you get trying to stop someone from attempting to choke you out even just in a training session is immense - its a very humbling experience and one that puts into perspective how fragile life is when you realise it takes seconds for another person to put you out if they wanted lol

The Midlands has a solid base for BJJ I've been down Birmingham many occasions for competitions - you'll find a good gym down there.

Wing Chun is another I would personally recommend.

I guess mountain/off road biking could be an option. Sort of ties in with what you like plus stops as much need for a car.

I was kind of microdosing k and it just became the norm. Nothing bad really happened from it, just obviously not a good thing to rely on. So cheap too. Started off as taking it at after parties from the club and it was huge in Oxford at the time.

All nice and innocent at the time until you are taking some before a lecture at 10am without a care in the world.

Like the idea of off road biking but it’s a bit of a financial leap.

When I first came into contact with it the price was about 15 a G. These days it’s same price as yayo which is ridiculous to me.

Haha I can relate. When I first started getting very good MDMA I reached a point of taking a small dose on a morning and going to look at the trees for a few hours. Can’t imagine taking K in a lecture. What did you study?

Do you read much mate? There is wisdom and a better kind of escapism alive within the pages of the 'right' books.

I haven’t achieved much with my life but the one thing I can say with absolute honesty is I rarely meet anyone who is better read than me. That might sound a bit arrogant but it’s just the result of hours upon hours of solitude and having had parents who encouraged me to read from a young age.

Im biased but if you aint into the generic running/cycling scene you could do worse than sign up to a local martial arts dojo / MMA gym and take up some classes as you'll quickly start to take time out and research/learn a particular martial art and its origins/disciplines and it does somewhat take over a big part of your free time which sometimes can benefit you when you're trying to clear your mind / find a distraction.

In terms of the adrenaline rush you mentioned I've done BJJ on and off for about 12 years and even now the rush you get trying to stop someone from attempting to choke you out even just in a training session is immense - its a very humbling experience and one that puts into perspective how fragile life is when you realise it takes seconds for another person to put you out if they wanted lol

The Midlands has a solid base for BJJ I've been down Birmingham many occasions for competitions - you'll find a good gym down there.

I did Judo as a teenager (two years) and wrestled for a few months through a wrestling club in Wolverhampton. I’d love to get back into wrestling but it’s hard work and I’m not sure I’ve got the dedication required.

A former friend of mine while he was inside for a few years determined to turn his life around studied to be a drug councillor. Now hes out hes trying to keep kids off the stuff he used to supply.Guilty conscience obviously, knowing he ruined manys a life but apparently hes full into it now keeping kids off it. Too early for you to try something like that, you need to give it up first. Try the swimming, cycling, gym, boxing or whatever you can that'll fill your time and give you a natural rush. Youre obviously educated and smart enough to know how its affected you maybe you could look into warning others down the line after you get yourself sorted first. It could give you the control, pride, direction and senxe of purpose you want back into your life but you got to get off the [Poor language removed] first mate before it ruins you. If you ever want someone to listen mate just give me or anyone on here a shout.

I don’t want to turn this place into my personal Carlos type thread so I’m going to bow out. Thank you for everyone’s support and help today. You’ve helped me get past a particularly low point and I can’t convey how grateful I am.
Glad you found it helpful mate, that’s why it’s here .

I have no input but I mean as I see it it’s nobody’s thread and everybody’s , use it as much as you want or need I’d say .

I don’t want to turn this place into my personal Carlos type thread so I’m going to bow out. Thank you for everyone’s support and help today. You’ve helped me get past a particularly low point and I can’t convey how grateful I am.
Mate I know exactly what you mean. I felt the same way a few weeks ago when my wife passed away. It seemed to me at the time that other people had stopped using the thread and I felt incredibly guilty.

I spend most of my time in the MessyMascot update thread these days. If you're ever feeling a bit down or lonely, just pop in there. They are a great bunch, basically the same people who frequent this thread, so no introductions needed. They'll all know your situation. They are just there for you and of course by being in there you're also showing your support for Messy and what he's going through at the moment.

I haven’t achieved much with my life but the one thing I can say with absolute honesty is I rarely meet anyone who is better read than me. That might sound a bit arrogant but it’s just the result of hours upon hours of solitude and having had parents who encouraged me to read from a young age.
Do you still indulge yourself with good books now?

I did Judo as a teenager (two years) and wrestled for a few months through a wrestling club in Wolverhampton. I’d love to get back into wrestling but it’s hard work and I’m not sure I’ve got the dedication required.
Boxing was always mine , I’m way too old now mind but I still do a bit of training and it helps my focus . As @ForeverBlue92 has mentioned anything like that is great , he’s clearly significantly more experienced than me , but I signed up for some genetic MMA stuff a few years ago and still pop in and out and as he said you might well find that rush there . When you talk about not having the dedication firstly that doesn’t come over night and you’ll know that having spent years at your judo but also you don’t have to do it to compete or look at any kind of serious progression just start by looking at it as something to help your fitness , occupy an hour or so and help with your overall physical and mental health .

In reality though any form of exercise can probably give you something and given what little we can glean of your personality you seem like you’d focus on it and enjoy the pride it brings . You’ve taken The first step so you should already be proud of yourself .
Mate I know exactly what you mean. I felt the same way a few weeks ago when my wife passed away. It seemed to me at the time that other people had stopped using the thread and I felt incredibly guilty.

I spend most of my time in the MessyMascot update thread these days. If you're ever feeling a bit down or lonely, just pop in there. They are a great bunch, basically the same people who frequent this thread, so no introductions needed. They'll all know your situation. They are just there for you and of course by being in there you're also showing your support for Messy and what he's going through at the moment.
As Fred had said , it’s a little oasis of openness and friendliness which goes from topics including food , puns and the usual Everton nonsense .

As regards you being well read that’s something to be really proud of and it’s also something easy to fall out of the habit of but what a fantastic escape it can be . Maybe that’s something you can try and set aside some time for once you start to find your feet.

Realise this is "Dr Google" territory, but has anyone else had a period where they find they wake up at silly o'clock? For the past few weeks I've been getting up at around 4.30 every day, which is a good hour/hour and a half earlier than normal. Weirdly I don't feel particularly tired as a result.
I've been doing this for the past few months no matter what time i go to sleep, its always between 4-5am. I actually haven't set my alarm for months for work (Start at 7am) because i know i will be awake.