Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

I feel like I need to post this.

It's 3 years ago that I finally quit all drugs and heavy drinking and smoking.

I was on antidepressants, I was addicted to pain killers, I drank heavily nightly, mostly whisky, I smoked weed/ciggies every day. I couldn't function without that cocktail.

I weaned myself off the antidepressants and painkillers over 6 months at the same time and the weed over a month. The last day was in September 2018 when I decided to stop everything. The following week was the worst of my life, which is saying something. Turkeyin is hard even when your weaning. But I stuck with it. Found the drinking easiest to quit.

I still have days where I get down, get ridiculous levels of anxiety etc but I don't go back there and I know can come back to a level mindset. I've read/listened to alot of books that have helped me, and still do.

I gave up all social media until I felt I was ready to go back on and found that this site is the only one I actually wanted to use.

Since then my life has gone on an upward spiral. I couldn't hold down a job, now I've been promoted 3 times in 2 years, I only drink when I'm out, I've never touched weed since. I only take pain killers when absolutely necessary.

Basically, it'll never go away, but I can control it, doing this has cost me relationships and friendshipbrand I'll never be able to repair them, but that's the cost and I know that even know 3 years on them people still see me as that version. It'll never change. Only I can change, and accept outcomes.

I posted about my job the other day, felt myself slipping, once I had posted I found that the release of getting it out there, anywhere, meant I could get past it, find a resolution, and control the outcome. Work is OK again.

That's all, just a little pat on the back from me to me.

Anyone going through anything, it's OK to give yourself credit, we put ourselves down enough..
Amazing achievement, and a huge inspiration for anyone on here fighting any or all of those battles, I'm sure.

Good on you for getting through it, and good on you for giving yourself credit. You absolutely deserve that and more.

There's a place you'll get to Blue, sometime in the future, where you'll not have a penny to your name, " friends " have been lost and found, and you'll be worn out physically and mentally. But, and here's the thing, you'll be the happiest you've been for a long time. Why? Because you'll have inner peace having a cup of coffee and thinking " I never thought I'd make it, but I have ". You will be drug free, clean and be so so contented.

You have a dual diagnosis , a mental illness alongside an addiction. I can only imagine the turmoil your going through mentally and physically, but with support, and love fro those close to you, you CAN find that piece of mind your looking for. Of course there's a massive wall you have to climb - your addiction - but once your over it your path will be clear. To me it seems so simple, sort out your addiction, and the rest will fall into place. I know so simple isn't it Spotty, I hear you ask! It's not simple though and it's going to be the hardest thing you've ever done but with focus, professional help and grit and determination, I'm sure you can reach your goal. No more having to lie, to live in the shadows and no more worries. You'll be substance free, have a clear conscience and the whole world at your feet. THAT my friend will be your biggest high ever. You don't understand yet, but you have a row to play, to be that inspiration to others in similar circumstances. To say to them " I was there, I know what your experiencing and you can come through it ".

I wish you all the best in the journey towards contentment fella, but I'm sure you can do it. Take care and I'm sure I speak for all of us in wishing you well in your journey of recovery. Good luck.

Great post and can I add that quite a few of the lads that I know who`ve had problems with drugs in the past, have gone onto to become councillors, youth workers or working / volunteering with charities or organisations that help people get back on their feet after hard times.

To a man, they`ve all said, that after getting clean, they almost had a calling to help others in similar situations.

Great post and can I add that quite a few of the lads that I know who`ve had problems with drugs in the past, have gone onto to become councillors, youth workers or working / volunteering with charities or organisations that help people get back on their feet after hard times.

To a man, they`ve all said, that after getting clean, they almost had a calling to help others in similar situations.
This exactly bud

I was on antidepressants, I was addicted to pain killers, I drank heavily nightly, mostly whisky, I smoked weed/ciggies every day. I couldn't function without that cocktail.

I weaned myself off the antidepressants and painkillers over 6 months at the same time and the weed over a month. The last day was in September 2018 when I decided to stop everything. The following week was the worst of my life, which is saying something. Turkeyin is hard even when your weaning. But I stuck with it. Found the drinking easiest to quit.

I still have days where I get down, get ridiculous levels of anxiety etc but I don't go back there and I know can come back to a level mindset. I've read/listened to alot of books that have helped me, and still do.

I gave up all social media until I felt I was ready to go back on and found that this site is the only one I actually wanted to use.

Since then my life has gone on an upward spiral. I couldn't hold down a job, now I've been promoted 3 times in 2 years, I only drink when I'm out, I've never touched weed since. I only take pain killers when absolutely necessary.

Basically, it'll never go away, but I can control it, doing this has cost me relationships and friendshipbrand I'll never be able to repair them, but that's the cost and I know that even know 3 years on them people still see me as that version. It'll never change. Only I can change, and accept outcomes.

I posted about my job the other day, felt myself slipping, once I had posted I found that the release of getting it out there, anywhere, meant I could get past it, find a resolution, and control the outcome. Work is OK again.

Anyone going through anything, it's OK to give yourself credit, we put ourselves down enough..
This post is inspirational, why I love my job because my faith in human spirit sometimes gets questioned but then I read this. I hope I have a modicum of the character you've shown golden. I say well done that man.

Well in mate - life will always throw challenges at us its all about learning to overcome those challenges!

Be careful with social media, especially Twitter and Reddit. The negativity can add onto a bad mental state horribly; I hope I dont sound too thin skinned
Not thin skinned at all. Totally agree not only negativity but also the other side of the coin - Look at me with my wonderful life etc.. can also have an effect especially when we are dissatisfied with certain aspects of our own lives. The impression that everyone is enjoying themselves when we may be having a hard time of it can also be hard to deal with and affect our mental state.

Everton lost an 81 year old fan and a true gent last Wednesday evening.

I'm absolutely heartbroken, thankfully the funeral will only take 2 and a bit weeks to happen, could have been much more thanks to covid.

Cherish those you are close to, I've never hugged my Mum so much in all my life and constantly remind her how much I love her.

RIP, Dad.

All power to you mate thats fantastic. Well done, hopefully others can be inspired by your story. Top man.
You have done a great job helping yourself out of the mess you made of your life, you’ve stuck to your latest lifestyle for three years, brilliant, keep it up and never stop giving yourself a pat on the back every so often. Hope you find real happiness and friendship in the near future, best wishes.

You have done a great job helping yourself out of the mess you made of your life, you’ve stuck to your latest lifestyle for three years, brilliant, keep it up and never stop giving yourself a pat on the back every so often. Hope you find real happiness and friendship in the near future, best wishes.
This was meant for the Golden visionary, sorry about that.

I'm absolutely heartbroken, thankfully the funeral will only take 2 and a bit weeks to happen, could have been much more thanks to covid.

Cherish those you are close to, I've never hugged my Mum so much in all my life and constantly remind her how much I love her.

RIP, Dad.

Sorry to hear mate. We butt heads on here but things like this trump petty bickering.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family x

RIP, Dad.
I’m so sorry to read that , deepest sympathy

I’m so sorry to read that , deepest sympathy

Appreciate it mate, nothing could be done it was so sudden.

He just had his Claddagh ring he'd been pining over resized in Old Swan, my old dear went to buy a potato pealer further up and he took a funny turn. Brain hemorrahage, next to his brain stem, inoperable.

We were all there with him, it was just "one of them". I take solace in the fact there's been so many tributes to him in his parish and my ma's doorbell hasn't stopped ringing.