Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Thanks for replying mate. How long have you been suffering?? The reason I ask is you seem from your posts to be sensible and educated. You and I know life and people are constantly changing. We're not the same people we were 10yrs ago and we'll be different people again in another 10yrs. Dont give up on yourself mate - so what if you've tried and failed before, try again, even if you keep falling - having the want inside to change will mean you'll get clean in the end. Suicides never a solution mate - its not a rest or a break from life mate its a complete end to life and your problems dont finish mate they just get thrown on to the shoulders of those you leave behind - who care and love you. Please keep trying brother and if you need help or an ear from a stranger let us know theres many of your blue brothers on here who'll be glad to do anything we can for one of our own.Love you brother, God Bless.

I started using drugs at thirteen but I’ve been addicted to hard drugs for around seven or eight years. Mostly cocaine but I have dabbled with opiates. I’m 31 so it’s all I really know at this point. I didn’t mean to come across as suicidal, I have no imminent desire to end my life. But I can’t see myself ever breaking the habit, regardless of optimism or wishful thinking, so it’s a fairly bleak situation. What I really needed was just to be able to type these things out and be honest because day to day I have to lie incessantly to hide my addiction.

I started using drugs at thirteen but I’ve been addicted to hard drugs for around seven or eight years. Mostly cocaine but I have dabbled with opiates. I’m 31 so it’s all I really know at this point. I didn’t mean to come across as suicidal, I have no imminent desire to end my life. But I can’t see myself ever breaking the habit, regardless of optimism or wishful thinking, so it’s a fairly bleak situation. What I really needed was just to be able to type these things out and be honest because day to day I have to lie incessantly to hide my addiction.
Im almost 20yrs older than you mate, I've never taken hard drugs. I was no angel growing up either I loved my grass and would have drunk anyone under the table. I grew up in the north of ireland thankfully we didnt have hard drugs back then thank God or im sure I'd have tried them. We had the troubles which kept all the hard stuff out of this country - youd have been killed for bringing that stuff in - youd even have got your knees done if you were caught with grass. The place is full of everything now though especially spice and heroin more dying here now with drugs than got killed during the troubles. I was talking to a kid the other day whos 25 and he used to be a cracker wee footballer he'd trials with Celtic, Arsenal and Forest he was in a wheelchair, he'd got his leg amputated from injecting all the time and hes still on it. Its scary buddy but i know others who've got off everything including a mate who'd batter me if he knew i was talking about him he was big into his meth but is off it years - and is training to be a priest now lol, so dont ever give up mate 1 day youll break it, dont let the demons in your head or anyone tell you otherways we're alot stronger than we think we are. If you need any help mate reach out nobody here going to judge you brother or you just want to talk to a stranger who cares just let us know. Im sure others here can relate to what you're going through. God Bless Brother, U.T.T.

Im almost 20yrs older than you mate, I've never taken hard drugs. I was no angel growing up either I loved my grass and would have drunk anyone under the table. I grew up in the north of ireland thankfully we didnt have hard drugs back then thank God or im sure I'd have tried them. We had the troubles which kept all the hard stuff out of this country - youd have been killed for bringing that stuff in - youd even have got your knees done if you were caught with grass. The place is full of everything now though especially spice and heroin more dying here now with drugs than got killed during the troubles. I was talking to a kid the other day whos 25 and he used to be a cracker wee footballer he'd trials with Celtic, Arsenal and Forest he was in a wheelchair, he'd got his leg amputated from injecting all the time and hes still on it. Its scary buddy but i know others who've got off everything including a mate who'd batter me if he knew i was talking about him he was big into his meth but is off it years - and is training to be a priest now lol, so dont ever give up mate 1 day youll break it, dont let the demons in your head or anyone tell you otherways we're alot stronger than we think we are. If you need any help mate reach out nobody here going to judge you brother or you just want to talk to a stranger who cares just let us know. Im sure others here can relate to what you're going through. God Bless Brother, U.T.T.

Thank you for lending an ear. I think becoming a priest might be a good idea haha - a father Ted possibly. U.T.T

Went to psychiatrist Wednesday thru want me off the benzos, clean break. Starting something called Seroquel. It, too, is a bipolar/schizophrenia drug. And the plan is probably to add lithium, yet ANOTHER bipolari/schizophrenia drug. I asked them a couple times of they think I am because they keep pushing me towards those and they said they didn't think I was. So why push the drugs that are meant for them?

Side effect of the Seroquel is MASSIVE fatigue. I woke up this morning, took the pill and we back asleep 90 minutes later.

Was going to try something called a partial hospitalization program next week or week after where you are with counselors psychiatrists and therapists from 9am to 4pm but I can't fathom how with how exhausted this makes me.

Just a quasi rant/update, sorry.

Good to get off the benzos if it’s possible and your shrink thinks its a good idea?

The other drugs - I can understand your scepticism, however if it might help maybe just have a go?

Went to psychiatrist Wednesday thru want me off the benzos, clean break. Starting something called Seroquel. It, too, is a bipolar/schizophrenia drug. And the plan is probably to add lithium, yet ANOTHER bipolari/schizophrenia drug. I asked them a couple times of they think I am because they keep pushing me towards those and they said they didn't think I was. So why push the drugs that are meant for them?

Side effect of the Seroquel is MASSIVE fatigue. I woke up this morning, took the pill and we back asleep 90 minutes later.

Was going to try something called a partial hospitalization program next week or week after where you are with counselors psychiatrists and therapists from 9am to 4pm but I can't fathom how with how exhausted this makes me.

Just a quasi rant/update, sorry.
Riddick the medications you mention are " multi use drugs " This means they can be prescribed for a wide range of diagnosis. Psychotropic medications are notorious for having a wide gamut of side effects, some " minor " others absolutely debilitating. Unfortunately they often themselves put patients in a horrible dilemma. For example someone might see a massive improvement in their psychotic symptoms, however, they are spending half their lives drowsy, asleep with no quality to their life. I promise as a psychy nurse it's our worst problem striking a balance and it's really hard to get the right balance. Perhaps having a one to one with your prescriber and telling them how drowsy your always feeling. The medication your on Seroquel - Quuetiepine - is an A typical anti psychotic that is supposed to have fewer side effects. I don't know how many anti psychotics you've tried but Lithium is a mood stabilizer, with a high salt level which is why you have to watch your liquid intake. Please speak to someone about your side effects because there are other options but ALL I'm afraid have a side effect profile. Good look buddy but if you continue to experience debilitating side effects please tell someone. I will close by telling everyone all medications bar none for use in mental illness should be given 3-5 weeks. Take care buddy.

I just need somewhere to vent a bit as I don't have anyone else to really unload stuff onto.

My long term relationship has fell apart in front of me, my whole world is just crumbling. I haven't been able to eat a thing all week, I'm literally surviving off fizzy drinks at the moment. I can't sleep for more than 20 minutes and I spend all day in tears.

I've been on Sertroline for a couple of weeks now but it's not having any impact. My mood is still on the floor.

I've told work that I am struggling to complete my tasks because I just cannot concentrate and so I've had to jiggle stuff around to get easier stuff to focus on which is embarrassing for me.

I'm at a complete loss and I don't see any light at the end of the tunnel.
Master Chef you really must prioritize your mental health. I would suggest taking time of work - if you can - to concentrate on getting mentally well. " Struggle to complete my tasks " is a red flag buddy. I suggest you can't see the woods for the trees and being at work is complicating things. Your mind might I suggest needs a rest, to not be thinking too much. You in my humble need a period of stress free reflection. Why have you become poorly, what have been the triggers. Take your time if you do as I hope, take time off work. Let your mind rest fella, let it recuperate and as it does you can take stock. What do I mean by taking stock? By recognizing why you have become unwell and importantly what practical steps can I take as preventative measures. Tell people you are mentally unwell, friends and loved ones will help and understand but first buddy, start the process of recovery, be kind to your mind, let it shut down and recover. Without peace of mind, without rest and filling your head with thoughts it can't manage just yet is not helping. Your medication takes 3-5 weeks to start being therapeutic. If after that you feel it's not working talk to your GP. Be good to yourself, take time to recover and your mind will recouperate. Take care buddy you can do it if your good to yourself.

Can’t get clean or sober. The addiction has undermined relationships and jobs several times. The rest of my life is a constant knife edge between hiding my substance abuse and trying to keep it going.
You can get clean and sober. It isnt easy and there will be times when it seems impossible. Please don't give up on yourself. Have a look at some of our Evertonian family, Speedomick and Billy Moore ( follow him on Twitter if you do Twitter) spring to mind. They have done it and are just normal folk like you. There are people who love and care about you and many people on here who would have your back in your struggles. Much love x

Exa
You can get clean and sober. It isnt easy and there will be times when it seems impossible. Please don't give up on yourself. Have a look at some of our Evertonian family, Speedomick and Billy Moore ( follow him on Twitter if you do Twitter) spring to mind. They have done it and are just normal folk like you. There are people who love and care about you and many people on here who would have your back in your struggles. Much love x
Exactly this. Take one day at a time but if that is too overwhelming concentrate on getting through the next hour. I have got through some tough days by taking them one hour at a time. You can do it, don’t give up, wishing you all the best?

Riddick the medications you mention are " multi use drugs " This means they can be prescribed for a wide range of diagnosis. Psychotropic medications are notorious for having a wide gamut of side effects, some " minor " others absolutely debilitating. Unfortunately they often themselves put patients in a horrible dilemma. For example someone might see a massive improvement in their psychotic symptoms, however, they are spending half their lives drowsy, asleep with no quality to their life. I promise as a psychy nurse it's our worst problem striking a balance and it's really hard to get the right balance. Perhaps having a one to one with your prescriber and telling them how drowsy your always feeling. The medication your on Seroquel - Quuetiepine - is an A typical anti psychotic that is supposed to have fewer side effects. I don't know how many anti psychotics you've tried but Lithium is a mood stabilizer, with a high salt level which is why you have to watch your liquid intake. Please speak to someone about your side effects because there are other options but ALL I'm afraid have a side effect profile. Good look buddy but if you continue to experience debilitating side effects please tell someone. I will close by telling everyone all medications bar none for use in mental illness should be given 3-5 weeks. Take care buddy.
I figure Im going to tell them on our appointment Wednesday. It was literally day 1.5 so maybe that contributed. Woke up today and didn't feel good but who knows what that's attributed to. My issue is that I want to do a partial hospitalization program but I have no idea how I would get there/participate if I am too sedated or whatnot. Not trying to jump off the Seroquel, just a worry I have as Im meant to meet with the intake people on Wednesday.

And I get the time frame is needed to start to feel the effects but it's just so devastating when one doesn't work then you have to start alllllll over again for another 3-5 weeks of feeling like [Poor language removed]. Psyche is a fragile thing, I don't know how many times I can deal with "ok, that didn't work, let's try THIS" and have to wait another 3-5 after.

About two weeks ago I woke up in the middle of the night after eating a huge meal and felt dizzy, heavy breathing and as silly as it sounds felt like I was about to die. I couldn't explain to my wife what was wrong i just said we may need to call 999 but after ten minutes I calmed down and was fine. Since then I seem to have bouts of anxiety where every little twinge or my arm or chest sends me into a panic. I had heart burn yesterday so went to A&E and had the full mot done. Blood pressure, pulse, blood sugar and ECG. All totally fine but I still can't help feeling like something I wrong with me despite getting the all clear. I feel like I can feel my heart beating if that makes sense

Dr said if it continues we can try anxiety meds but reluctant incase I become dependant. Any experience with "panthanol" i think he said?

I'm in my 30s, not in the best shape but have started a healthier life style.