2021/22 Rafael Benitez

Well?

• IN

• OUT

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the fitness of Rafael's sports science guy will be a big help. In theory Carlo's "run at intensity for x" training instead of high intensity all the times works, but in reality it lowers conditioning for 90+ a week and sometimes numerous times a week.
??
His Fitness guy is famous for keeping players at 80% fitness out of fear of overtraining.
Besides, it's easy for our players to look fitter if you only play for 30mins at the end of a match.

Maybe he thinks we cant sustain that playing style for 90 minutes?
Changing the formation got them confused and disorganised, hence the quick goals.

First half was awful, Burnley didn't help with time wasting antics after 5 minutes
That's probably true. Also, it appears he is confident enough to do the game management stuff at the start of the match and go strong at the end rather than the other way round.

And I fully agree that Burnley did nothing to help with the game being an enjoyable spectacle. Cynical tackling like that should have seen a few cards and maybe it would have stopped. And time wasting from the off is a sign of very poor ambition. I'd rather watch a Norwich who try to play than a Cynical side like Burnley that doesn't.

Win these home games and pick up points away. We are in a league outside the Top 4/5 but thats still plenty of points to play for, and we are getting them.

I don't think we'll make Europe but if we did, then it's the turnaround last night that gets us there. We simply have to beat Burnley at home and we did that.

Possession is the most annoying stat in football, its a stat that academies at grassroots don't don't even tally up, they go for the possession in the final third as a barometer.
In football nothing better than the opposing team having the ball tippy tappy for for 5 minutes or so, break it up race forward and score. I love the break away goals, something we haven’t seen much recently as most of our players have been so slow.

Normally these are the kind of games we screw up, but what a great comeback after going one nil down. I have to give credit where it's due. It's a results based business, and Benitez so far is getting them. Everton winning matches with Benitez as our manager, will annoy the more bitter and twisted reds supporters even more. So whatever your thoughts are on the manager, whether you agree with the appointment or not, it's still great when Everton win.

It's in this clubs best interests that Benitez is a success here. I think we need to go for a reverse psychology approach. The folk on rawk enjoy seeing us being upset about r a f a being our manager. So i think we need to deny them that satisfaction, by taking a less hostile approach to the manager. Everton winning matches, also goes a long way with regards to helping Benitez win the fans over.
Doesn't really fall in line with what you said earlier
Post in thread 'Rafael Benitez Appointed Everton Manager' https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/...appointed-everton-manager.112986/post-8959420
You're welcome, plenty more in the archives.

In football nothing better than the opposing team having the ball tippy tappy for for 5 minutes or so, break it up race forward and score. I love the break away goals, something we haven’t seen much recently as most of our players have been so slow.
Me too - that 5/6 mins when the goals went in - if you could bottle that.... thought we started with the wrong formation but got there in the end. This swarming opposition players then breaking quickly will get goodison going when it’s executed well.

I'm very happy with 10 points and a cup win from the first 5 games, but it's not the time to get carried away yet. We've had decent starts before but then there is usually an Autumn blip around the corner. There are no easy games in this league, but we have had a relatively kind start.

Villa away on Saturday will be a very tricky game for us. Yes they don't have Grealish anymore, but they still looked good at Chelsea except for the final pass or shot. I think we can definitely get something from the game, but there is a slip up coming and it's all about how we deal with it. Last year we lost a game and it became a very poor run of something like 5 or 6 points in 7 games, with 3 straight losses in October. We can't allow that to happen this year or we will quickly fall back towards midtable.

Consistency and keeping up our home form is what will matter. The signs are encouraging but there is still a lot to work on, and it's only 4 games.

Win these home games and pick up points away. We are in a league outside the Top 4/5 but thats still plenty of points to play for, and we are getting them.

I don't think we'll make Europe but if we did, then it's the turnaround last night that gets us there. We simply have to beat Burnley at home and we did that.

TBF there is nothing wrong with aiming for the top four - United haven’t convinced except vs two dire sides, the RS are a new drug test release away from being banned and even City haven’t been that convincing.

We lost to that exact team last season.
We lost to nearly everybody at home last season.

Look Mike. I've given credit where it's due to Benitez for finding a system that suits the players and for getting them fitter and able to end games stronger. I think we're a better proposition than we were last season.

All I'm saying is he dropped one by changing to a back 3/5. I said the same last year when Carlo played it. It doesn't suit us at all. He changed it on the hour and we turned it round, which we wouldn't have been able to do against som better teams.

I think he's always got us. Even back when he was Liverpool manager. He knew precisely what to say to wind us up.

He understands very well what football means on Merseyside, and what it means to Evertonians.

We lost to nearly everybody at home last season.

Look Mike. I've given credit where it's due to Benitez for finding a system that suits the players and for getting them fitter and able to end games stronger. I think we're a better proposition than we were last season.

All I'm saying is he dropped one by changing to a back 3/5. I said the same last year when Carlo played it. It doesn't suit us at all. He changed it on the hour and we turned it round, which we wouldn't have been able to do against som better teams.

I think that's fair

If you give Benitez credit for that Gomes substitution (which was perfect, but not one many in the crowd would have wanted) and our general change in style and system, I think it's also fair to point out that he got it wrong with that initial shape. It seemed to be set up to man mark their two big strikers with Godfrey acting as a spare man to get 2nd balls - paying Burnley too much respect.

First thing I think he's got wrong since he's been here really, but he changed it and we won, so it doesn't matter too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.