2021/22 Rafael Benitez

Well?

• IN

• OUT

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Amazing when you get a tactician in as a manager.

Got more football IQ in his little finger than BFS has in his rotund body.

Burnley had worked us out obvious within 10 mins of the start... Dacoure and Allan don't offer the creativity.
Not sure about here but at the game there were shouts for that Gomes substitute long before it happened...

All I'm saying is he dropped one by changing to a back 3/5. I said the same last year when Carlo played it. It doesn't suit us at all. He changed it on the hour and we turned it round, which we wouldn't have been able to do against som better teams.
That of course presupposes he'd try it against a better team. Perhaps he wanted to experiment with it in a match where he knew he'd have a good chance of recovering from it if it was a disaster?

Really, it's hard to criticise a manager for trying something, spotting the failure, and correcting it in precisely the right fashion.

I think that's fair

If you give Benitez credit for that Gomes substitution (which was perfect, but not one many in the crowd would have wanted) and our general change in style and system, I think it's also fair to point out that he got it wrong with that initial shape. It seemed to be set up to man mark their two big strikers with Godfrey acting as a spare man to get 2nd balls - paying Burnley too much respect.

First thing I think he's got wrong since he's been here really, but he changed it and we won, so it doesn't matter too much.
Agreed, on the proviso that he learns from it.

I actually called it at half time last night , we'll sort of. Said he needs to either change it to 442 by bringing Rondon on, or 433 by bringing Gomes or Gbamin on.

We lost to nearly everybody at home last season.

Look Mike. I've given credit where it's due to Benitez for finding a system that suits the players and for getting them fitter and able to end games stronger. I think we're a better proposition than we were last season.

All I'm saying is he dropped one by changing to a back 3/5. I said the same last year when Carlo played it. It doesn't suit us at all. He changed it on the hour and we turned it round, which we wouldn't have been able to do against som better teams.

The difference so far this season has been the ability to get the second goal and put a game to bed. We've scored more than once in all 5 games, and all our league wins have been by 2 clear goals. I don't think we won often by more than one last year. There was lots of hanging on at the death and backs to the wall stuff. This has been slightly better for my stress levels, although you obviously can win by 2 every time. We will have to find ways to grind results out at times.

I don't like the three at the back system any time we try it, no matter who the manager is. I'm not sure it's sensible to try it against better sides.

The manager has been in charge for 5 competitive games and is still learning.
The five at the back didn't seem to work last night but Benitez will have learned probably more from that game than any other.
Yes, we now know that he trusts Keane more than Godfrey, and that his Plan B is to throw Gomes on.

I think that's fair

If you give Benitez credit for that Gomes substitution (which was perfect, but not one many in the crowd would have wanted) and our general change in style and system, I think it's also fair to point out that he got it wrong with that initial shape. It seemed to be set up to man mark their two big strikers with Godfrey acting as a spare man to get 2nd balls - paying Burnley too much respect.

First thing I think he's got wrong since he's been here really, but he changed it and we won, so it doesn't matter too much.
He didnt get anything wrong last night, the first half was grim to watch but a game is 90 minutes.
It's about a game plan, and it was spot on last night.

The manager has been in charge for 5 competitive games and is still learning.
The five at the back didn't seem to work last night but Benitez will have learned probably more from that game than any other.
yes... and you know?...and I appreciate the wild, ridiculousness of this propounding... but I genuinely think he knows more about togger, than us forum experts.

....(much as it will hate some on here to accept)

That of course presupposes he'd try it against a better team. Perhaps he wanted to experiment with it in a match where he knew he'd have a good chance of recovering from it if it was a disaster?

Really, it's hard to criticise a manager for trying something, spotting the failure, and correcting it in precisely the right fashion.
He's doing great. I'm made up with the start. I don't know how many times I have to say that. We should actually be top with maximum points because we deserved to win the Leeds game too.

But you should still be able to point out errors he makes, the same as anybody else. He is not untouchable

??
His Fitness guy is famous for keeping players at 80% fitness out of fear of overtraining.
Besides, it's easy for our players to look fitter if you only play for 30mins at the end of a match.
Benitez showing us how it's done. He keeps himself at 5 percent fitness, no movement and at 150 percent weight so he can keep going the entire year without risk of injury or fatigue...

Yes, we now know that he trusts Keane more than Godfrey, and that his Plan B is to throw Gomes on.

I suspect its more to do with fitness.
Godfrey played every minute of pre season for him near enough.

I can understand the five at the back against Burnley. It wasn't working. Could have changed it earlier. But he did and then we battered them.

Doesn't he look well too. Lost pure weight.

Benitez showing us how it's done. He keeps himself at 5 percent fitness, no movement and at 150 percent weight so he can keep going the entire year without risk of injury or fatigue...
I thought the extra ballast was to stop him taking off when desperately flapping his arms around and playing charades with the midfield to keep them awake?

Status
Not open for further replies.