Everton Summer transfers 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's fine. I don't even want James central. I want him wide right. However that would have required that right-back we've needed for three years to come in, though if Gbamin can stay fit we could play a midfield three.

The point is, and I'm sure you'd agree, we'd have options. And James is a very good option so people (not you in this case) need to stop acting like he's the worst player to ever play for us.
Clearly James is a superbly talented footballer with wonderful technique and vision.
However he doesn't fit into how Benitez wants to set his team up so apart from an impact sub I really can't see him getting a game.
Equally I can't see James being happy with such a role.

I like our current system and it is not a system where James can play wide right. Actually I only really see that as an option if we start to really press and failing that the right wingers responsibility for covering the left back will be something he can't overcome. I hate that I'm doing defensive responsibilities for attacking players but he's a bigger liability than can just be ignored.
I kind of meant in a 4-3-3ish shape, or even a 3-4-3 like we saw at Huddersfield.

Not as a wide midfielder.

In the 4-3-3 case you'd need Gbamin, Allan and Doucoure for the legs in midfield.

I don't see why it couldn't work, and you'd have Rich on the left and DCL central.

Can then rotate easily with Gray and Townsend and Iwobi and change systems. Options.

It shouldn't be hard to coach more than one system into a team.

We’re skint because of FFP and will be for a while. It’s just so frustrating to see Chelsea, United and City spend what they want. Saying that, fans are pathetic wanting more and more all the time. We splurged on [Poor language removed] and the fans lapped it up, this is what happens when you spend on tosh with no agenda or plan.
Perhaps Benitez has also decided he was going to more or less work with what he inherited, as we know there been big expensive buys that have not delivered. some of those weren’t bad players players before they came here, but I feel they have been mis managed by former managers, on paper our squad doesn’t look that bad, obviously RB was the main issue and also a back up striker but with Rondon that one looks to be covered. We will just have to make do with the versatile players that can cover the full back roles if needed. Not a great transfer window, but I do feel we did really needed to take a step back and be sensible rather than going mad spending loads and loads even if FFP wasn’t an issue, I believe there is money we just can’t spend it due to FFP which tbh might not be a bad thing in the grand scheme of things.

Clearly James is a superbly talented footballer with wonderful technique and vision.
However he doesn't fit into how Benitez wants to set his team up so apart from an impact sub I really can't see him getting a game.
Equally I can't see James being happy with such a role.
That's fine but James is only here until next year (either Jan or the end of the season)

So if he's an impact sub, he's one of the best in the league

Youre missing his point: James is a fantastic player but he needs some specific players around him to work the most efficient. Maybe this was Ancelottis biggest mistake: gettinga player that brings a lot of additional questions from a squad that doesnt have any. Take the first couple of games: then the new manager impact worked well and ive rarely seen everton swing so nicely in attack. The minute they had to shift into defending it was all over. By game 6 or 7 the opposition had it figured out and it was done with teh hollywood attacks. Even when he came back from injury, Ancelotti tried but failed miserably. For us, bot Ancelotti and James is a step too far atm. Benitez is much more a realistic approach.

Happy to keep James, and maybe he proves a point here or there, but the previous poster nailed it imo.

I don’t agree with any of that mate. Your also wrong, we were second in the table heading into the turn of the year, so it wasn’t a 6/7 game thing.

Im all for differing opinions, but if you think James doesn’t significantly improve any team, let alone us then your off your rocker. Does no one remember the World Cup and international tournaments he starred in his time at other lesser clubs and impact before he was acknowledged by the big clubs.

I’ll restate my point, the best players can play in any team, with any players, in any system and formation, Sometimes the game is that simple when you step away from “big chances created“ & “XG”. A lot of over analysis goes on in modern football, 70% of it rubbish.

Happy to agree to differ. ;)

I kind of meant in a 4-3-3ish shape, or even a 3-4-3 like we saw at Huddersfield.

Not as a wide midfielder.

In the 4-3-3 case you'd need Gbamin, Allan and Doucoure for the legs in midfield.

I don't see why it couldn't work, and you'd have Rich on the left and DCL central.

Can then rotate easily with Gray and Townsend and Iwobi and change systems. Options.

It shouldn't be hard to coach more than one system into a team.
I just want to know how it looks in practice that is an upgrade. We saw it early last season but teams worked out overloading the left flank forces James to do something and it went to crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.