2020/21 Alex Iwobi

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get it that one good game doesn't make up for years of him being bad but is it so hard when he does alright to just leave it for a day or two? Like it or not he's got a role to play here and while we could have done with not wasting the money and just developing someone we didn't do that. Seems like some people are so far past rational thought with him.

You weren't on here for the slatings that Leon Osman had when we were actually qualifying for Europe regularly and he was a first choice player.

A few heads I think actually exploded when he was picked to represent England as a full international player.

You weren't on here for the slatings that Leon Osman had when we were actually qualifying for Europe regularly and he was a first choice player.

A few heads I think actually exploded when he was picked to represent England as a full international player.
It got pretty bad for Ross I remember. I think I had about 25 people on ignore all because they'd just bombard his and match threads with abuse any time he did anything.

It got pretty bad for Ross I remember. I think I had about 25 people on ignore all because they'd just bombard his and match threads with abuse any time he did anything.

My point is that you are trying to fight an unwinnable battle here.

Iwobi cost a lot of money. Ossie at least didn't have a fee to hang him with. Ossie was miles better in terms of actual performance.

Iwobi has been a bad signing. Expensive and largely underwhelming. He will have to do something remarkable at this point to gain any favor. A decentish performance against a Colombian club team earns no plaudits.

They get the abuse directly on their own social media. If it is left unchecked, fan sites become an echo chamber. We can all have an opinion on players performance, how we express that is down to each of us. But don’t pretend that players are immune when a poisonous frenzy is whipped up. To me it is the very antithesis of support.

People abusing footballers on Twitter etc. aren’t Everton fans.

Iwobi cost a lot of money. Ossie at least didn't have a fee to hang him with. Ossie was miles better in terms of actual performance.

Iwobi has been a bad signing. Expensive and largely underwhelming. He will have to do something remarkable at this point to gain any favor. A decentish performance against a Colombian club team earns no plaudits.

We are due a rebate off him from two years of sh!tness.

Brands solely to blame here

Apparently I am one of the very few that felt he could be a decent signing, I had seen play at Goodison for Arsenal some time before as a second half sub and I thought there was potential there.

So far I have been wrong.

Even last weekend in the Forida Cup there were a couple of times when I felt he pulled out of challenges.
I don't quite know what he is now, he plays on the wing like a no.10 and plays the no. 10 role like a winger and certainly not a good one.

Why just not simplify his game, tell him he is winger and his job is to take on the full back and get crosses over. He may not be able to do that but at least you would know what he was trying to do.

I thought Anthony Gordon really tried hard at the weekend and if he impressed the manager as another option on the left that will further isolate Iwobi.

I have no doubt we will make a couple of signings in the window and equally no doubt the manager will work with a certain number of players rather than a bloated group of players each getting in each others way.

If I were Iwobi and his agent now I really would be looking for another club.
He played on the right quite effectively taking on the fullback with pace at Fulham,for about 20 minutes.

Honestly never understood the abuse Osman got as a player from some quarters and never will, Iwobi couldn't lace his boots.

The issue is (and Gomes crept into this category post injury) that these players offer absolutely nothing because they don’t accomplish anything on the field. If they were better defensively, maybe you could give them a pass.

They make you significantly worse if they creep into the starting lineup, and knowing our luck with injuries that will almost certainly happen again. We desperately need replacements. Not these nothing players

I was here and the problem was that he stagnated quite a lot, was as mobile as a statue (was never a pacy player, just ridiculous then).

He played for England in 2013 however, he still had value then, and came off a very good year.

2014 was a decent year, but after that we saw the return of "irreplaceable" (apparently) Leon "Foot like a 50p coin" Osman who played too many games.

The thing with Iwobi is that he's similar in the foot-shape-regard - he's either putting the cross out for a throw in or out for a goal kick 75% of the time. He's got fantastic workrate, but his technique is, to put it lightly, inconsistent. Osman at least did the simpler stuff well - a good, accurate weighted pass; a good cross when it happened; decent simple through ball; good enough dribbling so to get a pen for kicking the ground; the occasional BLAMMO (as in vs. Larissa)... Iwobi so far has about 0 of those things on a consistent basis like Osman.

I was here and the problem was that he stagnated quite a lot, was as mobile as a statue (was never a pacy player, just ridiculous then).

He played for England in 2013 however, he still had value then, and came off a very good year.

2014 was a decent year, but after that we saw the return of "irreplaceable" (apparently) Leon "Foot like a 50p coin" Osman who played too many games.

The thing with Iwobi is that he's similar in the foot-shape-regard - he's either putting the cross out for a throw in or out for a goal kick 75% of the time. He's got fantastic workrate, but his technique is, to put it lightly, inconsistent. Osman at least did the simpler stuff well - a good, accurate weighted pass; a good cross when it happened; decent simple through ball; good enough dribbling so to get a pen for kicking the ground; the occasional BLAMMO (as in vs. Larissa)... Iwobi so far has about 0 of those things on a consistent basis like Osman.
Why do people think that being good at crossing is a simple thing? I don't mean just you. I see a lot of people talk about doing the basics and putting crosses in and I just think that's the opposite of basic. Players have made entire careers out of being good at it because it isn't actually an easy skill.

Why do people think that being good at crossing is a simple thing? I don't mean just you. I see a lot of people talk about doing the basics and putting crosses in and I just think that's the opposite of basic. Players have made entire careers out of being good at it because it isn't actually an easy skill.
Never said it's easy - also never said either player is supposed to be like Beckham.

Basic crossing skill is putting the ball in the danger area, instead of booting a hopeful up there blindly (a-la Coleman 99% of the time btw).

Status
Not open for further replies.