2020/21 James Rodriguez

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn’t look like he wants to be there, can’t blame him, but in the end you have to say he hasn’t had the career he should have with the skill he has.
I love him, when he’s healthy and on the pitch, but honestly he’s been dining out on the 2014 WC his entire ycareer, he’s had some great club seasons but never enough to really stake a claim to true greatness.

I love him, when he’s healthy and on the pitch, but honestly he’s been dining out on the 2014 WC his entire ycareer, he’s had some great club seasons but never enough to really stake a claim to true greatness.
Meh. I don't believe it's necessarily out of lack of trying. He obviously cares for his quality of life after football considering he's already had a lot of injuries, but I don't doubt that he wants to win when he's on the pitch.

Can we play an attacking player that doesn’t press, doesn’t run with the ball and doesn’t move off it?
Obviously a world class passer and striker of the ball but I’m not sure he fits in a modern Premier league team.

Can we play an attacking player that doesn’t press, doesn’t run with the ball and doesn’t move off it?
Obviously a world class passer and striker of the ball but I’m not sure he fits in a modern Premier league team.

His utility is as a 'lockpicker' against sides that sit deep.

I'd rather have him here than not here... if he wants to be here. I don't think he does, so I think we're in a holding pattern until a bid of some sort comes in for him later in the window.

His performance yesterday was that of an exhibition, a player whose primary objective was to avoid injury.

Yeah it’s this for me - I think from Benitez’s ‘fitness comments’ after the game he thinks the same. I can’t see him here at the start of the season.

It would be fine in a way if he was happy to not play every game and we could use him against the teams we struggle to break down at home, but he’s James Rodriguez and on a massive wage for that role.

You could see the difference even 2nd half yesterday when we had genuine pace/people who could press high up the field.

His utility is as a 'lockpicker' against sides that sit deep.

I'd rather have him here than not here... if he wants to be here. I don't think he does, so I think we're in a holding pattern until a bid of some sort comes in for him later in the window.

His performance yesterday was that of an exhibition, a player whose primary objective was to avoid injury.
It was, for all intents and purposes, an exhibition match. I think that will have been the case for 21 players who got on the field.

It was, for all intents and purposes, an exhibition match. I think that will have been the case for 21 players who got on the field.

Yeah but I mean for him it didn't even seem like a warm up for fitness purposes. It was more like Floyd Mayweather against that midget Japanese bloke who he knocked out in the first round - didn't break a sweat, waltzed around.

Yeah but I mean for him it didn't even seem like a warm up for fitness purposes. It was more like Floyd Mayweather against that midget Japanese bloke who he knocked out in the first round - didn't break a sweat, waltzed around.
We can find problems wherever we choose to look for them.

It was an exhibition match. Most players looked like they were finding their way back into it, and when he was on the ball, he still looked sharp and a class above.

He was there, smiling and cheering us on with the other players when the pens were being taken. It just seems like the cool thing now to point out unfit/disinterested James is now regardless.

I don't see him staying and I would be stunned if fat boy plays him on the right, we're going full 80s and 90s Wimbledon for this season - wingers and headers.
Not a bad idea,DCL and Richarlison both good in the air and to be honest this playing it out of defence is getting old.

Not a bad idea,DCL and Richarlison both good in the air and to be honest this playing it out of defence is getting old.
I’ll be delighted to see less playing out of defence. It has its place, but sometimes we need pacy attacks that are not built out of the back.

Status
Not open for further replies.