2020/21 James Rodriguez

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whatever else you say about him, he's no Allardyce.
James played in a 10 role under him at Real Madrid albeit for a limited time and I think Benitez likes that formation with a lone striker(won a CL with it, admittedly a while back now)
There is definitely a place for James in his team. If he's fit, he's the first name on the team sheet
Keep posting my friend. You're making me happy

Yep. We would say that, and about Rodriguez.

The issue ultimately is that Benitez can't have another power center at the club, and both he and Rodriguez know that because they've butted heads before.

Circumstances may render them unhappily married for a year before they get a divorce anyway.

I'm not sure they really 'butted heads'.

Benitez's style at Madrid just didn't really suit James. But there was also Ronaldo, Benzema, Bale, Kroos, Modric etc all to fit into the side too.

And James still played a fair bit. Benitez was only there for what, six months.

We don't exactly have those wealth of options at Everton and in Benitez's preferred 4-2-3-1 (going off his time at Newcastle) then with actual wide players there's a spot for James in there.

First name on the teamsheet when fit. If you think differently football is not for you. Hopefully stays

I would say that while I agree with the sentiment, he doesn't need to play every minute he's fit for. I think that was one of the issues last year, and that came around from Carlo not really having another way to play that was any good without James.

Get a way of playing that means James can be dropped in and out and get the best out of him that way.

I'm not sure they really 'butted heads'.

Benitez's style at Madrid just didn't really suit James. But there was also Ronaldo, Benzema, Bale, Kroos, Modric etc all to fit into the side too.

And James still played a fair bit. Benitez was only there for what, six months.

We don't exactly have those wealth of options at Everton and in Benitez's preferred 4-2-3-1 (going off his time at Newcastle) then with actual wide players there's a spot for James in there.

IIRC Benitez was less than gracious to Rodriguez in the Spanish media.

I agree with the last paragraph, which is more or less why they're likely to end up trying to tolerate one another for a year.

Get rid. He will hold us back. He’s a quality player, world class in-fact. But he needs class players around him that can do all the hard work which I don’t think we have. We need to be getting the ball up the field as quick as possible and get balls whipped into DCL in the box, which can’t be just left to Digne. I feel like Rodriguez just slows are already slow team down.

IIRC Benitez was less than gracious to Rodriguez in the Spanish media.

I agree with the last paragraph, which is more or less why they're likely to end up trying to tolerate one another for a year.

Oh yeah I think they both had their moments but from what I've read, Benitez was basically stuck between wanting to criticise a lot of the players but also knowing he couldn't criticise the likes of Ronaldo and Ramos etc.

I reckon he saw James as a bit of an outlet, and obviously James wouldn't have liked that.

But they're both professionals. I'm sure that if the right offer comes in the club would sell but that's the issue for me - it's a stupid move. Benitez will realise the talent James has compared to the rest of the squad. If he and Brands really think it's a sensible move then you've got to question their judgement.

Get rid. He will hold us back. He’s a quality player, world class in-fact. But he needs class players around him that can do all the hard work which I don’t think we have. We need to be getting the ball up the field as quick as possible and get balls whipped into DCL in the box, which can’t be just left to Digne. I feel like Rodriguez just slows are already slow team down.
I feel like that’s why we’ve brought in someone like Townsend. Him and richarlison on the left and right, either side of James doing all the hard work.

Width coming from the full backs.

Ey?????

You suggest James holds us back but that our entire system should be to get balls into the box to find DCL?

Wasn't half of the issue last year that was when James wasn't there, we had no midfielder to get the ball to Digne to get the ball to DCL?

Come on mate. Your entire post is an oxymoron.

I would say that while I agree with the sentiment, he doesn't need to play every minute he's fit for. I think that was one of the issues last year, and that came around from Carlo not really having another way to play that was any good without James.

Get a way of playing that means James can be dropped in and out and get the best out of him that way.
100% agree mate

Status
Not open for further replies.