Confirmed Signing Demarai Gray

Status
Not open for further replies.
People’s capacity to delude themselves never fails to amaze. Sure, this 25 year old nothing player is going to come good for us. It’s like folk trying to convince themselves that Iwobi, Walcott etc were going to come good for us despite all evidence to the contrary. Massively unimpressed at out business. Hope the lid and Townsend prove me wrong, much like all the other inevitable flops though…I doubt it.

If weve got 31 first team players once Gray signs then surely we could get two high quality wide players if were able to move out 10+ of them...

If Gray signs then we could literally offload 13 players to take us to 18 and use the funds for higher quality players.

Simply playing musical chairs and increasing the squad size doesnt make much sense aside from cost cutting -- cost cutting only makes sense if were in financial trouble OR want to improve the squad.

Great in theory mate but we struggled to shift any players even before the market was covid stricken. Absolute pipe dream to think that we can easily cash in on all our unwanted players like taking your unwanted video games to Game / Gamestation back in the day.

We could easily name all the players we wanna shift:

Delph
Kenny
Tosun
Sigurdsson
Iwobi
Holgate
Baningime
Gibson

How many of them do you truly, truly believe will be sold?

Coming towards prime age, good pace, good skill, capable of being a very good player indeed if he can get rid of the inconsistency, has a point to prove and cost about a 20th of the price of Iwobi.

Excellent bit of business imo.

Good luck lad, hope it works out for you and thus us. ;)

IMG_20210722_212851.jpg

I'm all for signing gray and seeing how he does and believe he could be a success. But a 3 year contract really?? Do we ever learn. There is half a chance he will flop and if he does we are stuck with him on the wage bill again.

People’s capacity to delude themselves never fails to amaze. Sure, this 25 year old nothing player is going to come good for us. It’s like folk trying to convince themselves that Iwobi, Walcott etc were going to come good for us despite all evidence to the contrary. Massively unimpressed at out business. Hope the lid and Townsend prove me wrong, much like all the other inevitable flops though…I doubt it.

I have more confidence in this than Walcott and Iwobi because Walcott had already for years for Arsenal and England not lived up to his potential, and has had to settle on being a decent player, not outstanding like he could have been, and we didn't need that type of player. Iwobi for his price and for the idea of signing him didn't make sense. He was always shifted around positions at Arsenal and never excelled consistently in goals or assists. For £35m, and then to see that we also don't know what position he's best in, makes it a bad signing. Gray is low cost, younger, and it's clear what position he can play.

Given he's a player yet to fulfil his youthful potential I would hope Everton have done some research on what sort of character he is - someone at Leicester perhaps, such as our old friend Steve Walsh. Steve wouldn't give us the wrong steer would he?

Status
Not open for further replies.