Confirmed Signing Demarai Gray

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m ok with this as a replacement for Bernard on the bench.
If he improves he might end up being a regular, but until then will be an impact sub with a bit of pace who can run past people.
No big expectations, just an upgrade in the league we play in on the player he is replacing.

Bernard offered nothing off the bench most times he came on and the other off the bench option was Iwobi.
For net positive wages just from shipping Bernard and bugger all transfer fee Townsend and Gray are worth a punt, I certainly can’t see them contributing less!

To do that would mean signing 1 wide player which leaves us even more bare on the bench.

Thats the provlem mate we can't spend money on 2x wide players + Gray.

What we are doing is sensible providing we have money to bring in a quality RW for the starting 11.

Our squad is big enough??? Have you seen our squad? It’s full of over paid lazy tits, we need to get rid of the wage bill and invest the saving in quality starting players. Basically, WCA rly what we have started in motion, get rid of people that were not even playing and freeeing up huge amounts for actual players
I know this is too complicated for you, but trust me and the club, it is the right way

Ive copied this from the 'Player contract expiry dates' thread:

10 Expiring 2022
James
Sigurdsson
Bernard
Tosun
Delph
Coleman
Kenny
Baningime
Gibson
Begovic

7 Expiring 2023
Mina
Davies
Nkounkou
Allan
Doucoure
Branthwaite
Townsend

7 Expiring 2024
Virginia
Richarlison
Pickford
Iwobi
Kean
Gbamin
Gomes

6 Expiring 2025
Calvert-Lewin
Holgate
Gordon
Keane
Godfrey
Digne

Thats 30 players.

So, yes adding Demarai Gray to this group of players --not including youngsters--puts us on 31 first team players.

We could offload 12 of these guys and still have 18 players to fill a first team squad before buying anyone -- again, not including younger players.

So, the point which people are making is that by offloading deadwood --of which we have plenty --we should be bringing in fewer players of a higher quality.

What happens when Gray joins and lets say Bernard leaves and were back to 30 players on the books...we have 3 players which are effectively deadwood...to add to the list.

This is how it works on here during transfer windows. There are a handful of players that are collectively agreed as ‘must buys’ for each window. For the last few it’s been Grealish, before that it was Zaha, this window it’s Bailey. Almost every single transfer post about any player will be followed up by ‘we should be going for x instead’

Then there’s the next acceptable layer. This is a group of players between 20-24 who don’t play in England (as long as they’re not already in that first group). People have decided that these players are class even though the majority have never watched them. The only acceptable fees for these players are between 15 mill and 30 mill. Some of these plyers might not even have made their nationals quads for euros or be first team for who they play for, it doesn’t matter, they are indisputably class. God forbid they are linked to either Liverpool or Leicester either because this just sends them straight into group 1 of a player that will be mentioned all day every day until the window closes.

Anything outside of those two groups though and the signing is immediately written off as complete rubbish before a ball has been kicked. Barcelona cast offs aren’t welcome, unknown teenagers on cheap deals not welcome, lads from the championship not welcome (despite the success of DCL Stones Holgate), proven players from other prem teams to cover squad gaps not welcome. Player who might not have settled anywhere not yet fulfilling potential so available for cheaper not welcome.

The list of players we would be able to buy and be met with approval by some on here is absolutely minuscule and at the moment seemingly only consists of Leon Bailey.

This reads just like the Benitez argument.

"Everyone should immediately back the manager"

Is the same as

"Everyone should accept us adding deadwood, to deadwood because its cheaper".

We should be adding quality and moving on a heck of a lot of players.

Thats coming from me who is fine with Townsend and Begovic.

Demarai Gray makes no sense at all.

We need 3 high quality wide players if 2 wide is the strategy.

Townsend can be 4th choice...we have Richarlison as 1st choice. We need 2 more....

If Demarai Gray is one of those 2 then were in trouble.

I’m ok with this as a replacement for Bernard on the bench.
If he improves he might end up being a regular, but until then will be an impact sub with a bit of pace who can run past people.
No big expectations, just an upgrade in the league we play in on the player he is replacing.
For less wages - which, like Townsend, I think is the key

GRAY IN FLORIDA FOR EVERTON MEDICAL

Bayer Leverkusen
winger Demarai Gray has arrived in Florida to complete his move to Everton

The deal, which is expected to be announced later today, will cost Everton around £1.6m and Gray will sign an initial two-year contract.
TWO YEARS! REJOICE! IT ISN'T PATHETIC ANYMORE!

Turn your urethras to "suck" mode and hoover that wee back up you insufferable whingebags.

Townsend can be 4th choice...we have Richarlison as 1st choice. We need 2 more....

Agree we need 2 more as it stands. Disagree Gray being one of them is a bad thing.

There was no way we were going to sign 2 top quality wide players in the same window, at least without a major outgoing.

If we sign 1 quality option (Bailey, McNeil, Pereira) out wide along with Gray then that's great imo.

Richarlison and the hypothetical new guy as first choice, Townsend as more conventional winger option / a pragmatic option when needed, Gray as a bit of a wild card who at the very least will provide pace and direct play against tired legs off the bench.

For less wages - which, like Townsend, I think is the key

Bingo, while we have just effectively replaced our bench options... they're bench options who are more suited to the Prem, cost 1/15th of the likes of Iwobi and Bolasie, and will be on much less wages than Bernard, Walcott, Bolasie etc...

It's not exciting but it's smart-spending and good business for us. Imagine we'd been doing this the last few years when we had more money to spend? Would have us in financially much better stead to actually add a truly quality player every window or 2.

Bingo, we have just effectively replaced our bench options... they're bench options who are more suited to the Prem, cost 1/15th of the likes of Iwobi and Bolasie, and will be on much less wages than Bernard, Walcott, Bolasie etc...

It's not exciting but it's smart-spending and good business for us. Imagine we'd been doing this the last few years when we had more money to spend? Would have us in financially much better stead to actually add a truly quality player every window or 2.
Defo
We’ve had huge earners on the bench not contributing which in turn has made it harder to sign quality players due tour wage bill

all now happily heading in the right direction

Defo
We’ve had huge earners on the bench not contributing which in turn has made it harder to sign quality players due tour wage bill

all now happily heading in the right direction
Honestly pal, I will be the first too hold my hand up and admit I was wrong and despite the way I may be coming across, I want them to be a success. It is in our best interest if they are. I don't profess to be a fountain of knowledge and have been known to be wrong on many occasions. Fingers crossed this is one of those times.

Ive copied this from the 'Player contract expiry dates' thread:

10 Expiring 2022
James
Sigurdsson
Bernard
Tosun
Delph
Coleman
Kenny
Baningime
Gibson
Begovic

7 Expiring 2023
Mina
Davies
Nkounkou
Allan
Doucoure
Branthwaite
Townsend

7 Expiring 2024
Virginia
Richarlison
Pickford
Iwobi
Kean
Gbamin
Gomes

6 Expiring 2025
Calvert-Lewin
Holgate
Gordon
Keane
Godfrey
Digne

Thats 30 players.

So, yes adding Demarai Gray to this group of players --not including youngsters--puts us on 31 first team players.

We could offload 12 of these guys and still have 18 players to fill a first team squad before buying anyone -- again, not including younger players.

So, the point which people are making is that by offloading deadwood --of which we have plenty --we should be bringing in fewer players of a higher quality.

What happens when Gray joins and lets say Bernard leaves and were back to 30 players on the books...we have 3 players which are effectively deadwood...to add to the list.

This reads just like the Benitez argument.

"Everyone should immediately back the manager"

Is the same as

"Everyone should accept us adding deadwood, to deadwood because its cheaper".

We should be adding quality and moving on a heck of a lot of players.

Thats coming from me who is fine with Townsend and Begovic.

Demarai Gray makes no sense at all.

Demarai Gray has the potential to be a good player. It’s a risk but hence the price tag. He’s certainly not deadwood and I’ll bet he offers an awful lot more to the team than anything Bernard Iwobi Siggurdson Walcott have done from out wide when playing for us.

10 Expiring 2022
James - will be sold this season, if not he will leave for free when his contract expires
Sigurdsson - no comment
Bernard - is being sold
Tosun - will probably be sold for a low fee in january or will leave for free when his contract expires
Delph - will probably be sold this summer, if not he will leave for free when his contract expires
Coleman - will probably be offered 1/2 year deal on lower wages
Kenny - will probably be sold this summer or loaned out and will leave for free when his contract expires
Baningime - will probably be sold this summer or loaned out and will leave for free when his contract expires
Gibson - will probably be sold this summer or loaned out and will leave for free when his contract expires
Begovic - will probably be offered a 1 year deal again when his contract expires

Honestly pal, I will be the first too hold my hand up and admit I was wrong and despite the way I may be coming across, I want them to be a success. It is in our best interest if they are. I don't profess to be a fountain of knowledge and have been known to be wrong on many occasions. Fingers crossed this is one of those times.
Thanks for that.
We both want the same thing, fingers crossed it happens
Not holding my breath

Agree we need 2 more as it stands. Disagree Gray being one of them is a bad thing.

There was no way we were going to sign 2 top quality wide players in the same window, at least without a major outgoing.

If we sign 1 quality option (Bailey, McNeil, Pereira) out wide along with Gray then that's great imo.

Richarlison and the hypothetical new guy as first choice, Townsend as more conventional winger option / a pragmatic option when needed, Gray as a bit of a wild card who at the very least will provide pace and direct play against tired legs off the bench.

If weve got 31 first team players once Gray signs then surely we could get two high quality wide players if were able to move out 10+ of them...

If Gray signs then we could literally offload 13 players to take us to 18 and use the funds for higher quality players.

Simply playing musical chairs and increasing the squad size doesnt make much sense aside from cost cutting -- cost cutting only makes sense if were in financial trouble OR want to improve the squad.

10 Expiring 2022
James - will be sold this season, if not he will leave for free when his contract expires
Sigurdsson - no comment
Bernard - is being sold
Tosun - will probably be sold for a low fee in january or will leave for free when his contract expires
Delph - will probably be sold this summer, if not he will leave for free when his contract expires
Coleman - will probably be offered 1/2 year deal on lower wages
Kenny - will probably be sold this summer or loaned out and will leave for free when his contract expires
Baningime - will probably be sold this summer or loaned out and will leave for free when his contract expires
Gibson - will probably be sold this summer or loaned out and will leave for free when his contract expires
Begovic - will probably be offered a 1 year deal again when his contract expires

That's the upside of the next 1-2 years - the deadwood will, finally, be by and large gone, FFP will ease up and we'll be able to be serious again possibly.

Although I must admit my views this week are tinged with optimism due to the realisation a certain fraud scumbag will never pull on an Everton shirt again. I've waited for this years. Worst signing in our history.

Status
Not open for further replies.