Confirmed Signing Demarai Gray

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not necessarily - Benard just isn't suited to the Premier League whereas Gray is albeit he's at the last chance saloon. If he struggles this season he'll likely be out the door next season.

Townsend is probably similiar quality to Walcott agreed but is more of a committed player and less injury prone. You could argue had we had Walcott on the bench at times last season when we had 2 goalkeepers and a bunch of kids we could have gotten Europe...

Walcott is better than Townsend IMO. I'm more than happy to let him go, but I think there's an argument we could have found 1 or 2 extra results if we had him as an option last year. He offered something different than everyone else.

So you think if we sign him then we could instantly sell him for £8-10mil ?

Thus pocketing a tidy £6.5-8.5mil profit...

Or sell a little cheaper at say £6mil and quadruple our investment?

That is one vivid dream...

Thats a bizarre thought process.

Begovic: Rumoured to be a 1 year deal
--Signs a 1 year deal, experienced backup.

Townsend: Rumoured to be a 1 year deal
--Signs a 2 year deal, experienced backup but should really have been 1 year + a club option to extend.

Gray: Rumoured 2 year deal + 1 year option
--Should be nowhere near the club and now its mooted that its a 3 year deal + 1 year club option.
Illogical, stupid and disappointing

Everything youve written about him ive heard from others as well...now to top it off hes flopped in Germany for a team which uses wingers and where he should shine.

Whoever signed this off (Benitez) shouldnt be working in football.

1 year deals for the three of them would have made some sense...2 and 3 year deals are just adding to our deadwood.
exactly. He's 25 and been playing for Leicester for the last 5 years. WE'd get £8m easy

Walcott is better than Townsend IMO. I'm more than happy to let him go, but I think there's an argument we could have found 1 or 2 extra results if we had him as an option last year. He offered something different than everyone else.

Whether you like Townsend or not 1 goal and 5 assists last season on a free transfer as a squad player is "ok" business.

Thats not far off McNeil who everyone wants to pay £25-30 million for...

I’m sorry but they don’t, both those players were highly talented and extremely gifted technical players. Pienaar had many suitors when he went to Dortmund, was on the best youth prospects in Europe prior or to his move. He only bombed because he played in a totally different position, being asked to replace tomas rosicky.

Arteta had been great at Rangers and PSG and had one disasterous season at Sociedad when trying to replace Alonso.

Gray was a decent prospect in the Championship and couldn’t live up to the premiership were having a footballing brain is essential but raw pace is an attribute

Yes Pienaar had many suitors before going to Dortmund and then once he was at Dortmund he was deemed a busted flush (hence him coming to us).

Arteta was OK at PSG nothing more which is why he ended up at Rangers.

They parallels are there, nothing more than that and it means nothing at the end of the day but I can see why the comparisons are being made. He is still fairly young too, it's not like he is the finished article. Would I have signed him? Probably not, but I can see the logic behind the punt on him.

Well I put this guy ahead of Iwobi in the pecking order already so that tells you just how bad a signing he was, same for Townsend. I was delighted when he came out and said he prefers to play on it right, ie in Iwobi's position.

Of course we need to cut our wage budget, but we have replaced some surplus players with more poor players.

You can't just sign people because they are cheaper than what we had before and expect to improve. We need to improve the calibre of our players and by letting go Bernard and Walcott and bringing in Townsend and Gray, all we are doing is replacing average with average.

We need to sign a quality attacker and a quality right back to improve. If we don't get those players then the squad is no better off. I'm not interested in just the numbers and finances. That's what the day job is for, not following a football team. If bringing in Gray and Townsend as replacement squad players allows us to bring in proper quality, then fine. But if they are the types of players we are now going to focus on, then nothing other than midtable awaits, and perhaps worse.
Walcot wasn’t even here last year and we’ve replaced him with Townsend, on a third of the wage and with one of the highest crossing accuracies in the league last year.
bernard was so crap he was totally overlooked, even when we were desperate, he’s been replaced by someone with a point to prove on a fraction of the wage

the squad is far better off this way

He's in Florida apparently. Well I sincerely hope he can find some consistency as he would be doing us a huge favour if he can.

Status
Not open for further replies.