Confirmed Signing Demarai Gray

Status
Not open for further replies.
why? He finished 6th in the bundesliga and helped his side qualify for europe
He didn't really. He came on as a late sub on his debut and scored the 5th in a 5-2 win, and got an assist in his second game, also as a substitute. Was then given a run of 4 starts during March, 3 of which they lost and in which he was substituted, two of them coming at half time. He then barely featured until he played the full 90 in the last game of the season, a dead rubber having already qualified for the Europa League, which they also lost. His 10 appearances, of which 6 were starts, averaged barely 40 minutes per game, and there were as many games he was an unused sub or didn't even make the squad.

Now I'm all for giving the lad a fresh start and, now he's here, I really hope he can recapture his form from 2/3 years ago, but please let's not try and make out that he's coming here on the back of a recent run of good form. He isn't. That's reflected in his transfer price. I don't think that Leverkuson tried very hard to keep hold of him either.

He was one of those players in Div One that looked the part when he was at Birmingham rather like Alli at MK Dons
Seemed to disappear at Leicester

Young enough to come again but all a bit underwhelming

He didn't really. He came on as a late sub on his debut and scored the 5th in a 5-2 win, and got an assist in his second game, also as a substitute. Was then given a run of 4 starts during March, 3 of which they lost and in which he was substituted, two of them coming at half time. He then barely featured until he played the full 90 in the last game of the season, a dead rubber having already qualified for the Europa League, which they also lost. His 10 appearances, of which 6 were starts, averaged barely 40 minutes per game, and there were as many games he was an unused sub or didn't even make the squad.

Now I'm all for giving the lad a fresh start and, now he's here, I really hope he can recapture his form from 2/3 years ago, but please let's not try and make out that he's coming here on the back of a recent run of good form. He isn't. That's reflected in his transfer price. I don't think that Leverkuson tried very hard to keep hold of him either.
You have to factor in new country, new club, new league,new language.
Not everyone settles quickly, some not at all.
Such a quick return may indicate he struggled to settle

I think this is a good
Another inconsistent winger. We love signing them. Walcott, Lennon, bernard, iwobi, bolaise.
But The fee is low and prob worth the risk on this one compared to the above fees and wages. Best of luck to him and hope he can prove a success.
Yep, this is the kind of deal those others should have been signed on. Scandalous what we have paid for them.

You have to factor in new country, new club, new league,new language.
Not everyone settles quickly, some not at all.
Such a quick return may indicate he struggled to settle
Maybe

I'm not judging him. Just pointing out that he didn't make that big a contribution to his club finishing in a Europa spot, which the OP was implying.

It did surprise me when you got linked with Gray but good luck to him now you've signed him.

One of those players that occasionally did good things for us. He may just need an arm around him for encouragement.
Well he won't get that from Benitez , but if it's a kick up the arse he needs then Benny's yer man.

Status
Not open for further replies.