Confirmed Signing Andros Townsend

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was never a regular starter for us and ended up going to Norwich where he did not shine either.

He was very average. Lovely bloke and he could finish quite well when a chance came his way but that's about it.
Sometimes average is ok if that's what you know you are gonna get. Our other supposed wide players often give substandard levels and they come with high fees and wages.

I like the fact that we have supposed lesser players who can do a job ..... It will create an element of competition.

Interesting how he mentioned that Benitez was the first manager who taught him about working off the ball. That’s something that has been completely lacking in Everton squads recently. We can do shifting from side to side day deep quite well but actual movement off the ball in the attacking third or wingers working both ways has been alien to us.

Interesting how he mentioned that Benitez was the first manager who taught him about working off the ball. That’s something that has been completely lacking in Everton squads recently. We can do shifting from side to side day deep quite well but actual movement off the ball in the attacking third or wingers working both ways has been alien to us.
Exactly
The movement from our midfield and forewords is shocking. People complain we pass back and sideways..,.

Struggled to get in the Palace team? He played 36 games last season!

I don't love any of the players we are bringing in or anything (I am OK with one of them, 3-4 of them is a bit much) but there is no way that Bernard is better than either of them (at least on a Premier League stage) I don't even know why either really, he has talent but a raft have managers have chosen not to play him now so there is obviously an issue there.

I actually think Gray is a good signing regardless. A highly touted player who has lost his way a bit. Similar to how Pienaar was before we signed him, it is not beyond the realms of possibility that he can do well here.

We have signed big name players who have been crap too. Probably still will...
Many of those games were off the bench. His stats aren't good though, no better than Iwobi's for us based on a similar number of games (again many from the bench). He scores the odd worldie but apart from that offers little. I don't know why people think this will improve and I guarantee many of those supporting the purchase now will be slagging him off well before Christmas.

I liked Gray when he was around 21, but he hasn't just not improved but also gone very much backwards since then. What makes you think he will get that 21 form back? Players like Pienaar are the exception, not the rule. We'll see I suppose. I might be pleasantly surprised which won't be difficult as my expectations are close to zero with him.

These are all opinions of course. We'll see which one of us is right in a few month time. At the end of the day I hope I'm the one who is wrong because I want us to do well.

Look, despite employing Benitez, I did feel fairly optimistic about this season because I believe we have good players in the squad and are 2 or 3 positions away from a strong first XI if we purchased well. But the purchases so far have been totally underwhelming, and the news that we are selling our best player has left me totally devastated as an Everton supporter.

I judge players by how they play football. Simple as that. So when you add value to the team, in my opinion, you have to be improving the quality of the team. But just for clarity, that's why I emphasised in terms of ability.

I see where you're coming from, but the reality we face is that we simply cannot attract the players with the best ability to this club in our present incarnation and with FFP constraining our apparently bulging pockets.

Many of those games were off the bench. His stats aren't good though, no better than Iwobi's for us based on a similar number of games (again many from the bench). He scores the odd worldie but apart from that offers little. I don't know why people think this will improve and I guarantee many of those supporting the purchase now will be slagging him off well before Christmas.

I liked Gray when he was around 21, but he hasn't just not improved but also gone very much backwards since then. What makes you think he will get that 21 form back? Players like Pienaar are the exception, not the rule. We'll see I suppose. I might be pleasantly surprised which won't be difficult as my expectations are close to zero with him.

These are all opinions of course. We'll see which one of us is right in a few month time. At the end of the day I hope I'm the one who is wrong because I want us to do well.

Look, despite employing Benitez, I did feel fairly optimistic about this season because I believe we have good players in the squad and are 2 or 3 positions away from a strong first XI if we purchased well. But the purchases so far have been totally underwhelming, and the news that we are selling our best player has left me totally devastated as an Everton supporter.
I don't really do stats, they don't reflect the game well on a real level and the variables are massive. I put Townsend in the solid if unspectacular player group. Then again I rated Walcott so...

Gray may just need the right manager to bring the best out of him, he is still young enough to improve/get back to where he looked like he was going and for the minimal outlay that he costs I have no problem with that one. Worst comes to worst we sell him next season for a small profit.

I'm the reverse, with our new manager in charge I have kind of gone past caring. No matter if we sign good or bad players we always end up in a similar position. It's kind of boring really. I suppose time will tell though too, hopefully we will also sign some bigger name players to compliment the ones who have arrived so far.

I see where you're coming from, but the reality we face is that we simply cannot attract the players with the best ability to this club in our present incarnation and with FFP constraining our apparently bulging pockets.
That may be the reality of the situation. I don't know. But if it is it's totally self inflicted and down to the very poor decisions made by management and senior officials at the club over the last 5 years.

As a fan I have a right to be angry about that and to criticise the club.

If you know my posting history you'll know I'm normally very positive and have frequently defended the club, managers and players against attacks from other posters on here. Well, with the exception of Sam Allardyce that is :)

But I can honestly say I have never felt more distanced from the club I supported as a boy, and I'm 60 now. Truly horrified by what I'm seeing.

Sorry for being thick but who has been announced/rumoured as leaving?

Gray always seemed a headless chicken - that's one of those things that can improve with age and experience.

He still has his pace, he just needs to add more strings to his bow, because up to now he has essentially been a crap Raheem Sterling.

Status
Not open for further replies.