Congratulations, you have unlocked Cult Hero Status

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just two in last 30 years. Dunc and cahill. Players with fight and passion. And score important goals throughout a long spell. Especially v United and RS. And usually when they in particular score the crowd lose it. And they have boss celebrations.

The way some people are defining it. Tony Hibbs could be a cult hero.

I’d maybe say they’re the only two you could realistically class as icons/legends at a push. Ferguson won a trophy with us but also played an important role in digging us out of relegation scraps when we had a very poor side.

As a teenager growing up Cahill was my favourite Everton player in my lifetime and still is to this day, I’m sure he’s that for a lot of people my age too. His will to win was just something else, haven’t seen it from any player that’s played for us since, proper captain material without being captain. Baines comes up just short behind him. Those two deserved a trophy more than anyone I can think of.

Last edited:
Royston Drenthe had everything we wanted to become a proper cult hero.

So did Andy van de Meyde.

F27E110F-238B-4BAF-96EF-FB8F43E8EF96.jpeg

….whilst appreciating the current generation haven’t had much to shout about, I just don’t get the adoration for Ferguson. I certainly can’t have him near the top category of no9s I’ve seen over the years. For me, Cahill was much more of an effective player of the more recent era.

I also didn’t get the hero status of Duncan McKenzie, but I was spoilt seeing the great sides of the 60s, 70s & 80s.

Status
Not open for further replies.