Congratulations, you have unlocked Cult Hero Status

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kanchelskis?
He was exactly the player I was thinking about when wondering if I was right or wrong... but then I thought, I can't remember a game where he played badly for us. In my memory (admittedly, I was only a youngster), he always played well. But perhaps I'm wrong on that.

I’d maybe say they’re the only two you could realistically class as icons/legends at a push. Ferguson won a trophy with us but also played an important role in digging us out of relegation scraps when we had a very poor side.

As a teenager growing up Cahill was my favourite Everton player in my lifetime and still is to this day, I’m sure he’s that for a lot of people my age too. His will to win was just something else, haven’t seen it from any player that’s played for us since, proper captain material without being captain. Baines comes up just short behind him. Those two deserved a trophy more than anyone I can think of.
Samesies. 33 now

See i think the fact he wasnt here long is exactly the reason he has cult status

He's not a legend or a hero but for a certain group of fans he lives large in the memory

Guess it depends in how you define cult status

….good point, although I fear somebody will now mention Straquelasi.

The Straq. Utter turd, but boy did he seem to try his best and love this club in the short amount of time he was here.

Absolutely the Straq.

Being at those games against Man City and Chelsea was something else. I know he maybe didn't reach the quality level required but the way he played was the perfect representation of the fans on the pitch. He chased everything, fought for every ball, dived for headers off defenders feet and gave absolutely everything he had.

He still loves the club too and talks us up every chance he gets.

Absolutely love Straq.

I think the club have misjudged the Ferguson thing.
They seem to think there will be a riot if he is removed as first team coach - in realty there would be a shrug and most fans would like to see him go and manage elsewhere to see if he’s up to it.

He was a good player but he’s no legend.

Hi Guys

Was just thinking, Ferguson was quite clearly a cult hero for us blues and there were many many names before him too.

I'm 30 and have been a blue for over 20 years and I look back at my viewing over that time and think who all are the standout few that could be called a "Cult hero" what exactly is a Cult hero? Is it only someone who has achieved something extraordinary? Service to the club? Commitment to the club?

If there was a voting process to who I believe has embodied everything in a club and led from the front in their own passion that connected to us fans, over my time as a conscious human with thoughts and feelings

I've would probably list
Cahill
Baines
Coleman.

In future I will always look back on their time with fond memories and those memories will age like a fine wine.

Thoughts?
Why weren't you a evertonian when you were born just asking like

Sandy Brown

That always gets Sandy mentioned - no mention of his headed goal at the right end in a 3-1 win over the other lot ...
Sandy was a great character player hard as nails with a thunderous shot -
A certain Bill Shankly stated he would have signed him for the other lot as he was so versatile as a player .....

Big Dnc for me was never a legend - just in bad times an Everton icon as his stats back that up never a prolific goal scorer for us as a no 9 - we got him at his peak - as a young player he was brilliant & if we have signed him young maybe he would have become a legend .....

….whilst appreciating the current generation haven’t had much to shout about, I just don’t get the adoration for Ferguson. I certainly can’t have him near the top category of no9s I’ve seen over the years. For me, Cahill was much more of an effective player of the more recent era.

I also didn’t get the hero status of Duncan McKenzie, but I was spoilt seeing the great sides of the 60s, 70s & 80s.
When Ferguson was fit and fired up in the right way he was unplayable, a real talent and a total bully to some of the best CBs in the game. Unfortunately, his day was about 3 games a season so whilst he had some incredible games against Man U and the RS, they were few and far between.

As mentioned above Kevin Campbell was the one for me. Saved our arses from the drop with vital goals and has gone on to be a great ambassador for the club whenever he’s on tv now. Ferguson never did anything more than give us a few big wins against the odds but ultimately his injuries and discipline made him unreliable.

Status
Not open for further replies.