New Everton Manager

Next ex-Everton manager

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
You do have to question about what on earth there is left to talk about between them and Benitez.

I think Greg O'Keeffe said the appointment was very close but not imminent which is surely a contradiction in terms.

I don't think there will be news until next week now.
A significant signing?
Which will be unveiled at the same time?
Bubbles Bill saying it was all down to FSW?

I'm sorry you feel that way. I suppose different folk just see things in their own way. I think most supporters were wanting Martinez out before we got to the semi final against utd (some reports that the team was even managing itself that day) and although he's hard to hate he had royally pissed me off for the last 2 years but had we won something even though he had nothing to do with it I still would have not cared a jot.

I suppose that said I wouldn't like to see Delph celebrating a trophy win but that would just be a fleeting 0.001% disappointing moment.
Jesus, visions of winning a trophy with benitez as manager and delph as captain. God forbid.

I wanted Potter from the off, have enjoyed watching Brighton when I've seen them.

You have to admire Benitez for having the balls to take the job knowing he will be hated from the off with no honeymoon period allowed. He will need to hit the ground running.

I've accepted his arrival and hope he proves us all wrong and is a success.
Not at all. All it proves is he is a shameless mercenary who doesn't give a toss except for lining his own pockets.

We need someone to be able to builld and lay foundations for a future top class manager to work on like Moyes left El Loco

If this was the squad Moyes left, I’d be all for taking a punt like Potter or Gaultier.

The harsh reality that some are not accepting though is that this squad will have any manager other than a disciplinarian pragmatist in relegation trouble. We need a bridging solution until a dependable squad is back in place.

An ex-Liverpool manager who hasn’t been relevant for a decade, spent a few years blagging everyone that was was doing a good job at Newcastle (before Steve Bruce came along afterwards and did an identical job… LOL) before finally washing up in China.

Couldn’t find a more ‘Everton’ appointment if we tried.

Club’s a joke.

His MO is buying big physical players. We probably won’t be very good to watch but I’m hoping it means the end for us being the slowest weakest squad in the league. If he naffs off in 18 months but he’s left us with a squad that can actually play at the pace of the premier league then it would be job done from my perspective and a new manager can then build on laying some style on that squad.

Any manager that comes in and tries to get this lot playing football will just be in a relegation battle. They can’t do it.
I think we might get a lot more attention to detail. Defence will be more compact; we have forwards who will work their socks off and can defend from the front when told to; if he gets a CM blend as good as Alonso/Mascherano we'll be in business, because that engine room right now is a liability.

He's not scared of making big decisions - Gerrard shifted from CM out wide and to a no.10 underlines that.

Just reading Benitez's wiki now, because I'm bored.

Some interesting accounts in there really. The key takeaway is that he seems to have been miffed at the owners at every club he's been at for one reason or another, particularly about not being backed in the transfer market and how he likes full control of the football side of things...

Makes you wonder how on earth he's going to be able to work with Brands in that case??

Also interesting to note is how he eventually brought the Chelsea fans onside by the time he left. He finished strongly with them all considered, won the Europa League and finished 3rd in the Prem.

The Chinese gig was deffo to pad his pockets as well. Cites the Covid pandemic as the main reason for swerving them.

As for his managerial style...

benitez-style.jpg

Described as 'ruthless' when it comes to binning players whom he deems not good enough... :coffee:

Maybe you should find out then before condemning the use of "small club" when the Liverpool manager used it and making that the sole reason why you would not give Benitez a chance if he was appointed at Goodison.
I think you are reading@WA Toffee incorrectly here. He was just making an observation, not necessarily agreeing with it. As for the difference between "small club" and "people's club", I believe you are making a misleading comparison. One was clearly an opinion expressed to belittle the club, whilst the other is an expression of the fact that a fan survey showed we had a large walk-up support, ergo a club supported by local people without any reference to its status in the game.

Simeone plays Dyche Ball and is a top level manager - like anything you're only as good as the players at your disposal.

People expect Dyche to be gatecrashing the top 6 with the 18th lowest net spend whilst the top 9-10 sides in the league are all spending £70-100 million a season.

Its fantasy imo.
Well a couple of points:
Simeone, although defensive, doesn't really play Dyche-ball as there is more variation in their patterns of play. Additionally, Athletico benefit from being an outlier in a league that still puts a lot of emphasis on possession - almost every team plays the same way.

Also the game has moved on - it's why managers like Mourinho and Benitez (never mind Dyche, Pulis et al.) have found it harder to win. If a manager is only as good as the players they have at their disposal, why have Leeds come up with a team of mostly Championship players who have been transformed and are great to watch? Why did Man Utd win the league in 2013 under Alex Ferguson and then the same team (even with a couple of editions) finish 7th under Moyes the following season? There are plenty of other examples. No one is expecting that Dyche crash the top six.

A manager should be instilling a 'philosophy' and style of play that runs through the club at all levels, which then improves the path to the first team and makes scouting easier as you are always looking for certain types of player. That is not parking the bus and signing grocks who'll leave a boot in every now and then. We've tried throwing money at it - let's go at it with a proper plan for progression.

Also, call me old-fashioned, I view football as entertainment. At some point I expect the team I support to actually try and entertain me. If a movie director you liked made a series of really awful, boring films over a decade plus, would you continue to watch them? I know football is different. But still . . .

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.