Homepage Article Everton's Statement On European Super League

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone that thinks Moshiri, a man who recently left Arsenal as he couldn’t grab enough power, would have turned this down...I’ve got a bridge to sell you (never tire of using that line).

The club statement is a good one bar the reference to “six clubs”. It ain’t six clubs, it’s six owners, and Mosh would have been number 7 had the invite come through the letterbox of L4. Owners ain’t the clubs. This ain’t US sports where the owner is king and can move THEIR team wherever they want (which this league would have threatened), and are the first to pick up the trophy the bleedin manager and players won. The unanimous fan backlash that brought down this super duper league further emphasised this. Fans, followed by manager/players in distant second, are the club. The club statement “custodians” in reference to the owners is correct, that’s all they are. Their remit while at a club is “don’t feck it up” before you hand it over to the next custodian, that’s it.

Who do you want punishing?
Boring. :zzz::zzz::zzz:

Let's face it, if city hadn't run rough shod over UEFA, this may not have happened. City basically won and signalled look, us clubs are bigger. The clubs will have another run at this.

Not been on here much today as I've been busy, but absolutely astounded at the arrogance and greed of these teams. And a little bit disappointed by the reaction of some mates and so called fans of other clubs that shall remain nameless.

But I whole heartedly agree with the sentiments above, and the harshest of punishments must be dished out to send a message.

I propose relegating all 6 to League 2.
All relegated teams from the leagues above will remain in their place, and all play off teams will be promoted automatically. In League 2, 6th will play 7th in the play off for the final place.

This will do several things.

1. It will serve as the greatest punishment they could each be handed without dismissal from the League itself.

2. It will be a huge boost, both financially and in status for the 28 teams who are either automatically promoted or avoid relegation, and will reinvigorate the competition in each case.

3. It will provide a huge boost in terms of revenue to teams in League 2, League 1 and The Championship by way of the increased attendances caused by the 6 darlings having to grace the lower grounds for a minimum of 4 whole seasons it would take should they each gain promotion back to the PL at the earliest opportunity. Bear in mind, at least 2 of those teams would miss out on promotion in year 1 so would spend at least 2 years in League 2.

4. In the mean time, it would change the layout of the League system in its entirity, and create new opportunities for teams to compete at levels they may never have managed under normal circumstances, including 4 years of alternative European qualifications and essentially a guarantee of new champions in each division.

5. It would also serve as a defacto European ban for each of the greedy 6. And financial fair play should see to it that they could not just spend their way to a simple romp through, even though you would still expect them to be too strong in the first instance. With no Premier League, Champions league, and TV revenue they are used to, and with the exclusion of any parachute payments, coupled with the legal fees they will each have to spend to get themselves out of what has been described as an already signed and legally binding contract, it could be a very precarious place for a number of them to be in, such are their levels of debt.

This would not only teach them all a lesson in humility, but should also show them not to take what they have for granted again in the near or distant future.

If the FA and PL had any balls, this is the action they would take. And I can't see how anyone from the 92 league clubs, other than the shameful 6 obviously, would vote against it.

Make it happen and teach them all a lesson.
Sky would not allow it

Which is the problem. Essentially, they are above punishment, so they can continue to do what they like.
The issue with European bans is then it makes the league have a whole load of meaningless fixtures.
The very thing being argued against.
Exactly. The fans benefit from and are penalised by the decisions and actions of their owners on a literal daily basis. Managers being hired and fired, sponsorship deals, players signed on ginormous contracts, players sold for business reasons.

Why is this any different?

The sub text here is "Don't punish the collusion we were complicit in because some of our fairweather fans won't follow us for a few years".
Having had a re-think, nothi g will be done because nothing can be done.
There are no real laws (theres a sort wishy washy blanket rule L9, which any decent QC will have a field day with, due to lack of precedent) for this sort of thing and any retrospective stuff might / will probably struggle

There are no real laws (theres a sort wishy washy blanket rule L9, which any decent QC will have a field day with, due to lack of precedent) for this sort of thing and any retrospective stuff might / will probably struggle
Missed the Edit cut off.
...The PL go away and draught new rules covering all this guff and anything else they think might come up and then say...Everybody has to sign this to play next season.
The sad 6 might say - nah, we signed up for Plan A, and your own rules say 75% / 15 clubs must agree - 6 of us don't.

Yeah, there is no precedent which makes the whole scenario really difficult. You also have to assume that these clubs kind of knew that. The chances of 1 team of expensive lawyers missing it is slim to none. The chances of 6 clubs missing a clause that could see them disciplined to oblivion is unfathomable.

But just because there is no precedent for it, surely there must still be some standard contractual clause that the FA or Premier League could call on to prove a serious breach of contract? If not then it means the governing bodies have left themselves open to this sort of thing since the beginning, and if it hurts them to suggest this type of break away, surely there is something to prevent the serious conflict of interest that a threat like this would impose?

I honestly believe that they stand to lose more by doing nothing than by punishing them heavily, because this in itself creates a precedent, a loophole that can and will be exploited further down the line.

Given the speed in which this was announced and detracted, It would not surprise me if this was part of a greater plot to get what they want further down the line. Punishing them now may be the only way of stopping that.

Yeah, there is no precedent which makes the whole scenario really difficult. You also have to assume that these clubs kind of knew that. The chances of 1 team of expensive lawyers missing it is slim to none. The chances of 6 clubs missing a clause that could see them disciplined to oblivion is unfathomable.

But just because there is no precedent for it, surely there must still be some standard contractual clause that the FA or Premier League could call on to prove a serious breach of contract? If not then it means the governing bodies have left themselves open to this sort of thing since the beginning, and if it hurts them to suggest this type of break away, surely there is something to prevent the serious conflict of interest that a threat like this would impose?

I honestly believe that they stand to lose more by doing nothing than by punishing them heavily, because this in itself creates a precedent, a loophole that can and will be exploited further down the line.

Given the speed in which this was announced and detracted, It would not surprise me if this was part of a greater plot to get what they want further down the line. Punishing them now may be the only way of stopping that.
...Just when I thought I couldn't hate the rs any more

I think they'll have another go with Super League 2 and see if they can invite another 15 teams to be part of a second tier competition and be forced to agree to some limited form of promotion / relegation between the 2 "leagues".

In fact they'll probably re-write the rules to ensure that its Arsenal and Spurs that get relegated and leave them to their own devices. As if they care about those clubs.

You can have as many lower league formats as you want under that scenario.

I wouldn't like it at all. Nothing is going to work if its designed by the super clubs and we can only come out as losers.

But that's where this is heading I think. The likes of Perez and Agnelli will be working hard to construct some format that sounds more appealing to more clubs, whilst ensuring they remain the power brokers.

The idea of a single Super League with 15 teams as a closed shop is completely dead though.

Still angry about 3 things:

1) The players and managers of the big 6 were acting victimised and hurt - of course it wasnt them, but they were not the heroes either
2) our statement has been lost - there's no doubt our strong statement helped as we assumed leadership of the 'other 14'
3) Still no inclination to punish those 6, which is why they came out with the sob story PR campaign, and acted as heroes

Unbelievable how influential the pundits are, yet Neville is the only one speaking sense but not supported as much. Amazed how lazy talk by idiots like SOuness can influence the game and the refs still.

The threat that the big 6 will bring, with serious money to back it, will be to ruin / walk out of the Premier League if we don't listen to their demands. I'm sure thats the arrogance that gave them confidence to do this in the first place. Cant work my head around how this will happen, but its really focused my mind on the bias again - from small punishments like reds, yellows and penalties, and the bans to players to set an example (e.g. Niasse) and to the top level FFP rules, it just seems like they are immune.

The threat that the big 6 will bring, with serious money to back it, will be to ruin / walk out of the Premier League if we don't listen to their demands. I'm sure thats the arrogance that gave them confidence to do this in the first place. Cant work my head around how this will happen, but its really focused my mind on the bias again - from small punishments like reds, yellows and penalties, and the bans to players to set an example (e.g. Niasse) and to the top level FFP rules, it just seems like they are immune.

The problem with that is, they are relying on the domestic league to make Super League work. It simply wouldn't/couldn't work without the domestic comps. They would have like 20 games per year and it would get old quick.

They need to league more than the league needs them. They need to realise that and call their bluff. The league hold the power but its like an abusive relationship.

Status
Not open for further replies.