Match Thread Everton v Crystal Palace - Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Given my MoM vote of Gbamin ...... risen from the dead.

Way off the pace & I am not sure what he will bring to the party yet but it's like a new signing .......

Shame you can’t vote for the palace keeper here. Played very well.
Our finishing cost us here. We were comfortably the better side but the longer the game went on the more tense it became, to the point it was inevitable they would score.
It was a typical Everton performance. As soon as we scored, we looked like we couldn't be arsed. They were the better team from that point.

if we win our game in hand, we're still only 2 points off 4th which makes the dropping of points in this game all the more frustrating.
Our squad is so paper thin on suitable quality I'm not even sure what CL would bring us...hammerings and a weak PL league showing on current levels. Would need 3-4 quality summer signings if we did manage it. Else next season will be horrific.

Good thing I said the performance was good and not the result then
The performance leads directly to the result in a percentage of games that is so mathematically close to 100% that it is not useful to say otherwise.

We may have created several chances last night, but that is only part of the overall performance... other parts include:

Converting chances into goals
Tackling in midfield
Pressing opposition defenders to win the ball from them
Competing for headers arising from long balls
Winning second balls
Disrupting opposition passing moves
Running

Far too many of the above behaviours were neglected last night by far too many players. Keane and Mina seem to lack the confidence to do anything other than sit on the edge of the 18yd box making desperate clearances, Davies is apparently incapable of moving upfield, Gomes is simply incapable of moving... There's a reason Rodriguez was dropping deeper and deeper to get the ball as the game progressed: without Allan and Doucoure we cannot put a functioning midfield on the pitch.

The performance was not good I'm afraid. There was a lot of CBA on display, although to be fair that accusation can't be made against Coleman, Richarlison, Rodriguez and DCL.

Had a good laugh at that. Anyone reading your second paragraph first would have been amazed if he had then gone back to read your second sentence. Second para -- home form "shocking", unable "to see a game out", and "another bottle job", but apparently -- second sentence -- we'd "struggle to get anyone as good in to replace him".

Little amuses the innocent....

While obviously missing out on a lot of laughs I’m going to persevere with reading from the top down.

Very disappointing.

Should have put the game to bed by 60 mins really, some very poor finishing from both Richy and DCL. Can't fault our build up play at the moment,

Could see why we took Jameth off - he was a passenger off the ball - but it was a signal to the side that we were content with the one goal lead and were going to sit back. Which in actual fact was probably the only way we were going to let Palace back in to the game. IMHO against a side like Palace you win that game 1-0 by taking hold of the ball and knocking it about, and we needed Jameth on for that, surely?

I'm getting a bit fed up with the pattern of play at the moment - last until 60-70 mins and then stick 11 men behind the ball and cantenaccio the game to death in the hope we don't get concede. Would like us to be more ballsy... especially at home. Probably my first proper whine at the management all season.

Jameth was class, some lovely touches.
Tom Davies was near flawless, another great performance from him.

Mikky Keane worst Everton player on the pitch. Some meltdowns in the centre of the park, couple of headers he aimlessly cleared to the feet of their midfield, and a crucial bit of mis-positioning for their goal. Been too many times this season he has got away with errors like that and was punished today.

Watched the match

Very frustrating to drop points this way. We should have scored at least 4 goals instead we tied 1-1.

But hey we won the XGA battle lol

The worst part about last night was no one was surprised when they scored. It felt inevitable.

Nothing from last night changes my opinion. We have 4-5 good players and 1 somewhat fragile superstar in James but and after that we are bang average. We’ve not been able to play our best 11, the team scoring for fun and looking great at the start of the season once since the first derby and that was back in October. An entire new midfield, Carlo’s midfield will have played 6 games together all season… I mean, there’s bad luck and then there’s us.

The players we’re forced to call on are the same players that have failed countless managers beforehand so why are we surprised, if anything they fact we’re still somehow only a few point away from the European places playing mostly with the same players that looked so poor under both Koeman and Silva is testament to the job Carlo has done? Yes on another day Richie and Dom would have taken their chances and on another day we may have kept our concentration at the back but that’s our problem, no consistency and this season, more than any having that little bit of consistency will make all the difference. Just look at West Ham and what they’re doing to see that.

I would love us to be ruthless this summer and get rid of all the deadwood in the team because we aren’t going anywhere until we buy better players. A few of the younger players aside, the vast majority of what we have at the moment can’t play any better, they can’t be coached to be better and they can’t worker harder. This is their limit and until they’re gone and replaced we’ll continue to fail and I just don’t see why you bring in a manager like Carlo to work with failures.

I don’t know much about Nathan Broadhead myself but is he on the bench to make up numbers or in line to get some minutes

When you see what West Ham are doing with Jessie bloody lings you know we’re missing a massive opportunity to achieve something this season.....

It'll be so annoying if after all these years the team that deny us a place in Europe is a non-Top6 team ...and Moyes! Don't mind him, but West Ham + Moyes = Everton, That

Status
Not open for further replies.