Match Thread Everton v Crystal Palace - Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Roy on Game​

Dug out a result​

I don't agree with that. We came back from 1-0, but we had as much possession, had as many opportunities and chances as them.
However, I am pleased that we got back in, grateful to our keeper - but the chances came haphazardly, not often from us getting cut open.
Otherwise I thought we were every bit as good as Everton.

Top 10 finish? Or getting past 40 points?​

Not so certain you'll need 40 to be brutally honest. Going to be very hard for Newcastle and Fulham to get to that, wouldn't like to be in their position.
Nice to get over the 40 mark to keep us in the league. If we play as well and look as dangerous as this evening, I'm hopeful we'll get more points and get into the top half, that would be very nice.

Guaita gives confidence?​

Yes, he was very good. Didn't get called into action that many times, but he was forced to make very good saves.
We appreciate him very much and he got the recognition we have always given him.

End of the game?​

You know me better than that. I've enjoyed a good game. A minor incident which I didn't see, disappointed that such a lot of good football has been pushed to one side.

Schlupp​

Yes, very good but not the only one. Eze and Zaha dangerous, very pleased with every aspect of our attacking play and delighted we left with a point - it's never easy to get one at Goodison. Gives encouragement for the final eight games, albeit some tough games.

Batshuayi​

It would be surprising to me if a player didn't make the comments he made.
Since he's come back, he's been in good spirits, continued well in training sessions which has given me the faith to put him on tonight and he's repaid that. He still has goals in him.

Looked at our bench at 60 mins to see what we could bring on...there was nothing there...James and Coleman tiring was inevitable....

We had so many chances to have comfortably won the game after 60 mins that our bench shouldn't have mattered...but sadly once again it did..

We need another 4-5 signings in the summer, simple as...if Richie wants to leave to play Champs league football, I'll pack his bags for him....not sure though there will be as many takers as he expects
I remember people saying the same about Lukaku.

It's mad how, as a fanbase, we're so ready to turn on our best players.

There's also no current indication that Richarlison wants out and we need to stop selling our best players, because the reinvestment has never been good enough.

thing is, we’ve sat in away from home and have defended brilliantly. We should have been 2 or 3 up before they got anywhere near us. When we sit back at home we are nowhere near as secure. Playing with 3 at the back today we looked like we were all over the place especially when we sat back. Playing like that and then conceding late it’s so hard to then switch to a positive mentality and trying to get a goal back.

teams like us can’t do without players like Allan and Doucoure but it still doesn’t make it any less frustrating to watch games like tonight.

I gather now that we sat back, and also saw from the match report Siggy came on at 31 mins. Can see what happened now. Siggy & Davies together does not work, and Allan missing too. Struggling. Davieas has to be the 4th CM (and he'll be good / fine for that) and Siggy only the reserve for James in Cup games against lower opposition. CM still plaguing us! Where did Holgate play? was it back 3 or was he in midfield?

Kind of ironic once our two best players tonight Seamus and James we became disorganised and sold the lead, if only Seamus was 5 years younger and could see a game out.
There was no need to take either of them off when they went off.

Keane was all over the shop because Carlo was basically telling him to man-mark Zaha. He then threw Godfrey into exactly the same role and both him and Keane were on top of each other and didn't know whether to come or go.

Could have easily switched to a back four and just had legs around James so that he could get on the ball.

His subs were awful, again.

Have there been calls for his head???? When he goes we’ll struggle to get anyone as good in to replace him.

home form and the way we play at home shocking though and we look horrible trying to see a game out. Bit better tonight as we created a lot of chances but another bottle job ffs.
First message I saw in here post final whistle was the call for him to resign. I'm being dramatic I guess as it was probably the only message of that ilk posted... but just so frustrating to read!

100%
Gary Lineker would have had a hattrick tonight

We just don't have the quality. We're not at the top table yet so where we are is reflective of that.

But we're still top of the league when it comes to being clinical from the big chances we have had this season.

Yeah, the strikers were poor tonight, but by and large they've been extremely clinical this year, hence us being where we are.

Anyway, I'm off now. Chin up lads, don't be too disheartened. I'll leave you with just two words that should aid reconciliation and provide some understanding as to your feelings right now:

........'Everton that'

First message I saw in here post final whistle was the call for him to resign. Being dramatic I guess as it was probably the only message of that ilk posted... but just so frustrating to read!

There's a poster or two who are just like that but nobody with any sense wants that.

But it's too far gone now for him to be beyond reproach. He's made some abysmal calls and there's no hiding away from it.

Going to a 5-4-1 against Palace, at home, when you're 1-0 up, with 15 minutes to go. That's not good enough.

I gather now that we sat back, and also saw from the match report Siggy came on at 31 mins. Can see what happened now. Siggy & Davies together does not work, and Allan missing too. Struggling. Davieas has to be the 4th CM (and he'll be good / fine for that) and Siggy only the reserve for James in Cup games against lower opposition. CM still plaguing us! Where did Holgate play? was it back 3 or was he in midfield?

left side of the back 3

coleman and Digne the wing backs.

started with Gomes, Davies and james floating around midfield. Gomes actually got a few good tackles and interceptions in but we dropped back after the goal and there were gaps everywhere.

having said that DCL and Richarlison could easily have had a brace each.

It's an irksome result but still an improvement over the immense debacles of new castle and Burnley. After those games I was livid , today just vexed. That's progress

Can't control a game well enough , too defensive and sit in too deep and invite pressure and can't put team's away at home. Yes we have had injuries particularly in midfield but if you can't take your chances and beat team's at home we aren't getting Europe sadly. Players are bottlers too everytime we get a sniff they crumble.Oh well

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.