2020/21 James Rodriguez

Status
Not open for further replies.
The difference between us now and city when they got robinho is obvious. Ffp. They could buy who they want when they want... we can't, and while that remains the same, so will the mid table mediocrity

How we play currently doesn't suit him. He's always more effective whenever we're on the front foot and our passing actually happens to be half decent at the time. You only have to look back to earlier in the season to see the difference.

Simply put - he needs better footballers on a similar wavelength around him.
Then how/why did we do it exactly like you said? If we could do it then, why can't we do it now?

And regarding James, I was against the move in the first place. Then after the start of the season I kind of saw the appeal and the way he could raise our status was beneficial. But he's not what we need. He was brought in to make the difference against teams like Fulham and Newcastle and frankly he didn't. Whether that is his fault or if you choose to blame his teammates, the fact is he contributed little and when he isn't scoring/assisting its like playing with 10 men.

Its the reason Arsenal were so keen to offload ozil. You can't carry passengers in the premier league. Hes got good quality, but its not much use if he can't use it. We needed someone like Maddison at Leicester who does both sides of the game. We need to get shot of him and use the significant wages to land someone who can do both sides of the game.

And regarding James, I was against the move in the first place. Then after the start of the season I kind of saw the appeal and the way he could raise our status was beneficial. But he's not what we need. He was brought in to make the difference against teams like Fulham and Newcastle and frankly he didn't. Whether that is his fault or if you choose to blame his teammates, the fact is he contributed little and when he isn't scoring/assisting its like playing with 10 men.

Its the reason Arsenal were so keen to offload ozil. You can't carry passengers in the premier league. Hes got good quality, but its not much use if he can't use it. We needed someone like Maddison at Leicester who does both sides of the game. We need to get shot of him and use the significant wages to land someone who can do both sides of the game.
Yikes.
He didn't single-handedly win games so he needs to be shipped out for someone who runs about a bit more?
Now I remember why I don't come into this thread because these takes are so stupid.

It's comments like this that puzzle me.

We're talking about James Rodriguez here, arguably the biggest name to ever come out of Colombia apart from Pablo Escobar, Shakira and Carlos Valderrama.

A man in the - at least age-wise - prime of his career and who likely has one more move left in him before clubs will no longer be interested due to the prejudice that comes when signing players over 30, and especially those with extensive injury records.

We signed him for free, and as most people know, when you sign players for free, and especially in such strange circumstances as we did with James where everybody in world football assumed we'd paid 20m for him, there come with it certain conditions. I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that one of those is a get-out clause that can kick in at the end of each season.

Sure, he loves working with Carlo, Sure he's earning a big wage, but not bigger than he could get elsewhere. You think he values working with Carlo when his reputation is being tainted by playing outside of the eyes of the world's media at bang average Everton?

When we finish mid-table he'll be associated with being a big part of that. He was our marquee signing and he couldn't help us finish in Europe. That's not going to make him more attractive to his next potential club.

Maybe you bought into the romance of the story and think he's a forever Evertonian now, but I can assure you he's not.
I didn't.. and I don't.

Your original point was that he'll want out based on the fact that he was sold some sort of lie when he came here, pinning it mainly on our (and his) recent form.

I get that you're probably upset that people are starting to question his overall usefulness to the squad (and his fitness) but I highly doubt the player himself has had a strop already considering he's well aware that he signed up for a project - just listen to his interviews since joining.

I didn't.. and I don't.

Your original point was that he'll want out based on the fact that he was sold some sort of lie when he came here, pinning it mainly on our (and his) recent form.

I get that you're probably upset that people are starting to question his overall usefulness to the squad (and his fitness) but I highly doubt the player himself has had a strop already considering he's well aware that he signed up for a project - just listen to his interviews since joining.
No I don't think he was sold a lie, but I do think we've not performed as we should have this season (this is obvious by looking at results and recent form, particularly our home form) and it could, potentially, impact his decision on whether to stick around or not. I still believe he'll have various clauses in his contract which is commonplace amongst high profile players or those signed on a free transfer. I'd like to think he will stay a further year or two but it depends on whether the club is going to sign better players or not. He's not going to want to stay and play alongside Sigurdsson, Coleman and Iwobi until 2023.

Status
Not open for further replies.