2020/21 Tom Davies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree with this all. Playing with quality improves your game, and also threatens it that you may be replaced (We've probably seen this with Siggurdsson).

Every manager must have seen him in training, what he can add to the team and they've struggled to get it out of him in matches. Perhaps CA has, or will find that ingrediant to let him flourish.

You'd wonder about Delph - i wonder did Brands look at it and say, ill bring him in for a few years and give Tom time to develop, i know that didn't work out, but i wonder was that the thinking. I agree on Gylfi to, hes definitely pulling his weight this season, to be honest another player who get a bad press on here, i have a lot of sympathy and the role he was asked to play last year.

What is very telling, is a lot of the inertia from last season has been kicked out of our players and looks a real competitive environment were only the hungry will survive, long may it continue.

Don’t get me wrong he’s ok. He needs more belief in himself
I think we all said the same after Dom started putting together a few good performances, can he keep it up, does he have the self belief etc.
He’s always seemed to have a good head on his shoulders Tom and seeing as his best mate went and turned it round so well he’s got a great role model mentally so fingers crossed

He hasn't though, at no point in his Everton career has Tom Davies taken a game by the scruff, battled for anything and everything, moved the ball smartly, drawn fouls consistently, stood up and be counted. He has never gone over a long period of showing his ability.... He has never put in a performance like last night until last night. (This isnt to say he cant have a bad game in that, but his level of performance needs to be good). He has a lot to do to win over those including myself that have been critical.

HOWEVER, because I don't want this to be a criticism of him, it isn't. What not only did Tom Davies achieve last night in a MOTM performance (in my eyes), he has shown all the doubters (including me) what he is CAPABLE of. Now it is up to him to go and follow it up by doing it week in, week out. It doesn't mean he can't have a bad game here and there, he is only human, but he has to do it regularly, something he has never done in his Everton career. If he had it done regularly there wouldn't be so many doubters.

@JMT has it, people can't get ahead of themselves, enjoy the performance, but he has to do it regularly now. He isn't a starter for me, but if he is going to be like he was last night then there is a future for him in our squad. He has put it in his own hands now with his last two games, up to him to go and take it.

The same applies for Gomes by the way. Another who has had a good game here and there but has never been solid for a period of time at Everton. Now he appears to have impressed CA recently (whether this is just man management maybe), so again, it's up to Gomes to go and have a solid few months and stake his claim to be a part of CA's plans.
For the last few months he has done his job well, simple but well. THe last couple of games he has done very well. It fells like people miss what he does cos he is not taking on 5 players and scoring screamers. The job he is asked to do, he does well, he now looks to be building upon that. Similar to Dom last year, people could not see what he was bringing to the team cos he was not scoring goals.

He hasn't though, at no point in his Everton career has Tom Davies taken a game by the scruff, battled for anything and everything, moved the ball smartly, drawn fouls consistently, stood up and be counted. He has never gone over a long period of showing his ability.... He has never put in a performance like last night until last night. (This isnt to say he cant have a bad game in that, but his level of performance needs to be good). He has a lot to do to win over those including myself that have been critical.

HOWEVER, because I don't want this to be a criticism of him, it isn't. What not only did Tom Davies achieve last night in a MOTM performance (in my eyes), he has shown all the doubters (including me) what he is CAPABLE of. Now it is up to him to go and follow it up by doing it week in, week out. It doesn't mean he can't have a bad game here and there, he is only human, but he has to do it regularly, something he has never done in his Everton career. If he had it done regularly there wouldn't be so many doubters.

@JMT has it, people can't get ahead of themselves, enjoy the performance, but he has to do it regularly now. He isn't a starter for me, but if he is going to be like he was last night then there is a future for him in our squad. He has put it in his own hands now with his last two games, up to him to go and take it.

The same applies for Gomes by the way. Another who has had a good game here and there but has never been solid for a period of time at Everton. Now he appears to have impressed CA recently (whether this is just man management maybe), so again, it's up to Gomes to go and have a solid few months and stake his claim to be a part of CA's plans.
Didn't you see what he was capable of in the City game under old Edam head. He's played under different managers in different systems in different positions and never fails to put a shift in while others didn't trouble the kit man's washing machine and yet continued to get a pass from the fan base.

For the last few months he has done his job well, simple but well. THe last couple of games he has done very well. It fells like people miss what he does cos he is not taking on 5 players and scoring screamers. The job he is asked to do, he does well, he now looks to be building upon that. Similar to Dom last year, people could not see what he was bringing to the team cos he was not scoring goals.
I disagree...the lad has unfortunately been fairly useless and mistake ridden. Sheff Utd, Man Utd and Spurs have been the few games where he has shown anything of being a player that would be of use to us. If he continues as of the last 2 games then brilliant for himself and the club. That is his target now...consistency. Hopefully he will now move onwards and upwards and be a great asset to this club. I honestly do not believe fans would have been on his back in the past if he was putting in performances of late.

That was a key game as was Brighton earlier in the season. He has been not world beating but solid in a lot of games which for me is what we have needed. I prefer no thrills Tom to Tom trying a worldie ball losing the ball in key areas Tom. His confidence is growing and he looks stronger on the ball. He’s still got some way to go mind you.

Why does it have to be either extreme? Manager seems to like him and pick him regularly enough and I reckon he knows a bit more about football than me (or any of you).

Wears blue and tries every time, good enough for me. He's relatively young, learning and improving and getting over two complete knob-head managers, who ruined his game. Cut the boys some bloody slack.

I will just leave this here buddy boy.
Why do we have players that turn up occasionally? Tom, iwobi, Keane, jord, gylf, Mina, even Richy and james
Justbfriggin turn up and do your job

Could you imagine us going work abd not producing 4 days a week?

Status
Not open for further replies.