2020/21 Tom Davies

Status
Not open for further replies.
At no point this season has he been our worst performing player, yet every single time we’re losing and he’s on the pitch this thread is full of people calling him the worst player in the whole league. “Hasn’t played well since that City game 4 years ago” is a popular one to get trotted out which is just complete fantasy, he had much better games in that very season. His progress has definitely stalled the past few years, but our fans have most definitely over exaggerated how bad he is.

There's been some games where he's been average and done okay but definitely more in which he hasn't been good enough.

I'll be honest and say I didn't think he had the last two games in him. He hasn't shown anything like those two performances since he first got into the team but it's great to see because we're absolutely desperate for him to do well considering how short we are in that position right now.

At no point this season has he been our worst performing player, yet every single time we’re losing and he’s on the pitch this thread is full of people calling him the worst player in the whole league. “Hasn’t played well since that City game 4 years ago” is a popular one to get trotted out which is just complete fantasy, he had much better games in that very season. His progress has definitely stalled the past few years, but our fans have most definitely over exaggerated how bad he is.
It's seemed like more of a personal agenda with him because he's not your usual boring footballer and has some character. If he wasn't skateboarding, wearing out there clothes and had a generic haircut, I'm sure he would have received far less abuse. A lot of the fans have been shameful in the way they have spoke about him.

He has had a poor last few years where his confidence looked shot not being able to pass a ball 5 yards and weak in the tackle. Criticism was justified and I'm sure he'd admit to that, but he never hid and always looked like he cared and tried. Looking the opposite now as he has a good manager in charge and hopefully he can get a good run of form. Seems Carlo has taken the responsibility off his shoulders and said to him to just enjoy his football.

It wasn't that City game alone where you could see he had a lot going for him either, some great assists and passing in general in that first season and you don't lose that. Great to see him back and long may it continue.

I’ve been thinking king and hard about how I can conduct my backdown over how bad a player Tom is. My only thoughts and comments have only ever been on how poor he actually is.! I think I’ve worked out a way that I can put into words how god he was last night, without contradicting all my previous musings. Last night was a terrible example of a poor Tom Davies. In fact it was the worst impression of a Tom Davies I’ve ever seen. I hope these awful levels of trying to be cr@p are continued.

It's seemed like more of a personal agenda with him because he's not your usual boring footballer and has some character. If he wasn't skateboarding, wearing out there clothes and had a generic haircut, I'm sure he would have received far less abuse. A lot of the fans have been shameful in the way they have spoke about him.

He has had a poor last few years where his confidence looked shot not being able to pass a ball 5 yards and weak in the tackle. Criticism was justified and I'm sure he'd admit to that, but he never hid and always looked like he cared and tried. Looking the opposite now as he has a good manager in charge and hopefully he can get a good run of form. Seems Carlo has taken the responsibility off his shoulders and said to him to just enjoy his football.

It wasn't that City game alone where you could see he had a lot going for him either, some great assists and passing in general in that first season and you don't lose that. Great to see him back and long may it continue.

The thing that sticks in my head over the City goal is the through ball to Niasse in his second season against Bournemouth. Genuinely superb through ball that needed to be fizzed in to get through the defenders, executed perfectly and it flipped the game completely on its head as a result. People making out he hasn’t done anything since the City goal is really weird, that was probably his 3rd appearance for the first team or something like that.

He’s had stinkers, of course he has. But he has also received a disproportionate amount of stick from the fans. I think empty stadiums have benefitted him and his progression as a player more so than most others. He’s using this as an opportunity to grow as a player and build belief that he can be part of the side without having to suffer the venom and bile of the Park End who can’t stand the sight of a local lad doing better than them in life.

Same, but like any player, it can’t be good games for two and then back to type. He has to show that consistency in his performances now and have a solid 4 months.

two games don’t make a player but he has give himself the opportunity to win people over, stake a claim for his place and the chance of finding his purpose in this team.

as I said already, his best performance in a blue shirt in his career. Time to build on that.
Spot on. But frankly mate the way he has performed in the last two games, I didn’t think he was capable of that he has set the bar high now, like you said he needs to maintain this level of form and consistency over the coming months. Just then we might have some options in central midfield

It is a personal agenda and it's a stain on the club. Some people can't handle something or someone a little bit different.

"Fans" is a stretch.

I think what you get with Tom, is it's the 1st time he's been given a position to play and a role to learn and been given time to work on it.

Before that, you've always sensed managers have looked at him as a versatility type player, who's willingness to do differnt things has meant he gets sacrificed. I'm not sure much attention has been really put into his development. From his perspective, maybe he should have been firmer in saying he wanted a defined role.

He looks much happier now he's been given a role. He looked a bit of a headless chicken before, probably trying to do too much, whereas now there are limits on what is expected of him. He is less erratic now, and seems calmer. He also didn't get chucked straight in, to learn on the pitch and ultimately have confidence hit, there was work being done on the training ground.

I'm delighted for him. Every club needs players like Tom Davies, or where he is now. Even if he's not 1st choice, he's rarely injured and a really reliable back up and of an age where he should keep improving.

I have had my turn having a go at his performances and I still hold with the fact that he is too slow .Saying that the one thing Carlo is adept at is making the system suit the available players and in doing so he is slowly transforming Tom Davies into the player we all want to see ,a Blue playing in Blue .
I think we all knew that he alone could never have been responsible for past performances but playing with Dukes they seem to have blended and for that and his last couple of games I bow my head .As Carlo says it is all about consistency and I hope that is where we are going with Tom

I have had my turn having a go at his performances and I still hold with the fact that he is too slow .Saying that the one thing Carlo is adept at is making the system suit the available players and in doing so he is slowly transforming Tom Davies into the player we all want to see ,a Blue playing in Blue .
I think we all knew that he alone could never have been responsible for past performances but playing with Dukes they seem to have blended and for that and his last couple of games I bow my head .As Carlo says it is all about consistency and I hope that is where we are going with Tom

Most central midfielder roles, and especially at the base of a diamond such as last night, don't need much pace. Knowing where to go and when to do so is far more valuable.

Status
Not open for further replies.