Match Thread Leeds United v Everton - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
If we can put Allan and Doucoure in both fully fit I’m confident we win this and we start looking up the table again after that rubbish result. Level on points with Chelsea and Spurs with games in hand, 2 behind West Ham with games in hand and 6 behind Leicester with games in hand is not a bad spot if Allan comes back his normal self and we keep our small core of good players fit. Need to win this one though.

Think we will be ultra defensive .
I can see us playing 4-5-1 , with a low block and keeping it very tight and trying to nick something either on the break or via a set piece.
My team would be

Olsen

Holgate
Mina
Keane
Godfrey

James
Davies
Doucoure
Gomes
Richarlison

DCL

Perhaps Digne in at wide left instead of Richarlison, not sure.

The bench will be Coleman , Iwobi , Bernard and errr......

I remember Rooney scoring a cracker there for our first win in 50 years or something. My head says we'll lose comfortably, but we seem to be better away from home, so I'll go for 2-1 to them.

Very tough game. Real pressure on us to pick up a result after just getting 1 point from 6 and having the mancs away on Saturday.

We aren't very good with pressure.

If we have any hope of hanging in there up top in the league we simply have to be looking for 3 points. I can only see him reverting back to the ultra defensive set up and hoping for a bit of individual magic or a set piece.

We all hate Leeds and Leeds and Leeds!!. I still do. Dirty Leeds. I'll hate them even more if they become the second unlikeable club to do the double over us in the space of 5 days. (Not as much as I'll hate Everton though).

What can I say about the Newcastle match that hasn't already been said and won't get me banned for excessive use of unsophisticated language.

We move on. Hopefully.

So we go up to Elland Road (another unhappy hunting ground historically) to take on the Bielsa ball barstewards. The fact is, his teams are always fun to watch for the neutral but I wonder is that really enough for a manager who has won nothing to be so celebrated. I suppose if he got the opportunity at a big club he might win something in style though it's more likely he'd quickly be run out of town by big name stars who don't take kindly to being told to run all day and night.
Which is precisely what this Leeds team do. Something which has got us all worried as we're all too aware of the mighty blues weak spot.

Not sure of too many names in their team. Phillips looks promising and Raphiña has been a good signing. Bamford. Someone called Dallas. And that's enough of that lot.

Mother should I build a wall? - Yes, I think you should son. Holgate and Godfrey should come straight back in or we'll bet dry bummed.

Rumours of a Pickford Injury have surfaced. If true, a lot of us may see our wish come true and Olsen will get an extended spell between the sticks starting with this match. I know I'm not alone when I say I'd feel a lot more confident with the Swede. Though I would rather the rumour be untrue and that Jordan is just 'rested'.

As for the rest, we probably expect/hope to see James, Richie and DCL even though the last 2 are well out of form and defo need a rest. Do we try Digne in a wide midfield spot and hope he comes back to form with Davies and Doucoure in the middle? Is Iwobi fully fit again? Who, out of Gomes and Siggy, is due a good game?
Sorry but more questions than answers. Especially in midfield.

Latest news is that Josh King has chosen Everton over Fulham which leaves us 20 minutes to get the paperwork sorted or we're getting relegated.

If he does sign, can he play on Wednesday? FFS! MORE QUESTIONS!!

Get into them blues.
Yep,
bring on The Pink Floyd tribute band
Bring on the low press...lets face it, Leeds will come to us, we won't go looking down their end of the field unless its on a lightening counter
Bring on the tightest of tight KITAP1 442

I'll leave Ancelotti to sort out the actual details of who plays where, suffice to say 4 of them pick themselves, many of the rest seem to just pick their noses for all the good they do.
*Needs Homer's 'you're cut, you're cut' clip

Edit; I hope King can play I'd be having a little word in the ears of both Richo & DCL...See Him? he's your replacement, he wants your place, play so I can't give it to him. Whoever plays the best gets to stay on.

Last edited:
They have Bamford, Rodrigo and Raphina all as doubts which are big blows in an attacking sense.

Need a win after that Newcastle defeat or Europe is over as cant see us getting much at OT on the weekend as Utd seem to have the hoodoo over us since Carlo came in.

To me that is exactly how to not play Leeds. They're reckless. If you have 9 behind the ball they'll have 9 in attack. I just don't think playing a style where we don't carry a threat to score ourselves will work out well.
We’ve not carried a threat to score in the last two games, apart from the last 10 mins v Leicester. Our goal against them came from a defensive mistake too.

I just think we need to stay solid and not concede and try and nick one, pretty much like we tried against Leicester.

Difficult game due to their work rate and our lack of pace and slow passing in midfield have to be solid and make use of set pieces and get the counter attack right.

Coleman cannot start here. Carlo knows better ut for me

Olsen.
godfrey, mina,keane, digne.
James, doucoure, holgate, ( cannot think of another player to deserve this spot ) richarldson
Dcl.

The Bamford injury is a dead leg from their last match. I imagine he would have recovered from that by tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.