Match Thread Everton v Leicester City - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Our defending for those short corners they kept doing was nearly the end of me. Every single one we just stood off them and seemed surprised they kept doing it
It exploited our marking system. The way we set up requires a bunch of people to stay central and cover their zones so when Leicester sent a bunch of people wide to take it short we didn't have the bodies to cover it. It was clever from them fair enough.

We are the luckiest team in the league to be where we are
No doubt about it at this point. We haven't created a big chance from open play since the Burnley game and have taken 16 of 21 points. Plus we've had two really tough games we'd have had to play shorthanded moved. Yeah we've defended well but we haven't defended this well and we very easily could have had multiple 0-0s in the run.

I don't see why it's so difficult to accept that another team played well?

Also,

That's poor defending, and poor goalkeeping.

Us conceding the goal was all that finally sparked us into life in the second half. It's fine sitting deep, but it is not okay to have no threat while doing so and up until the Leicester goal we didn't have that, unlike in the first half when we did have a threat.

We had key players out and didn't play at our best, and got a point. They had key players out and lost their best midfielder, and probably played well enough to deserve a point. The frustration is with how it comes, but we dust ourselves down and move onto the next one. ;) We'll see what happens with Olsen. I have a feeling he'd have been in anyway and this might have made up Carlo's mind, but again I'll stress, Pickford hasn't had anything like that in a while. He's generally looked a lot more assured and has been part of our good run in the league (Olsen has only played cup games remember, bar Newcastle). He's made an error and it's cost us - we know we need better but right now, there's nothing we can do about it until the summer.

Can say about Doucoure and Allan all we like, but they weren't there, so it's just how it goes.

Why are people still making excuses for Pickford?

LCFC played much better, dominated possession, and yet we should be gutted. We did a proper
Italian 60's and 70's job on them, defending stoutly, conceding the ball and territory and waiting for the odd chance. But no-one can account for a Pickford moment.

EFC are currently miles from a top team - with mediocre midfielders, no pace or trickery upfront, no decent forwards on the bench, - but it has a great chance to do well this season with its top defense, the magician James and unusually poor competition. But Olsen needs a chance to prove himself and get a run of games just as Pickford had.

Anyone see Richarlison's reaction at the full time whistle? Is there more to it than just drawing a game? I think he had a header in the last ten mins he put wide.

James saved Carlo today.

Gave MOTM to Ben Godfrey. What a defender.

Also some of the worst refereeing ive seen for a long time.

And the BT sport commentators were trash. James scores and they went right back to talking about Leicester.

Last edited:

So woke up and still don't buy we are rubbish team, until we get more to the squad in the summer Carlo needs to just defend and pray..

Sorry.. we had the top Striker in the league till recently, a starter for Brazil, James f'ing Rodders, the best creative LB in Digne, Man mountain Keane surrounded by a strong defensive unit.
Ok so we lacked two positions in the middle ..

Is that enough to shut up shop against Leicester, let alone anyone, and keep it tight and hope to nick one? Every time we score I get nervous as you just know we're about to play anti football and just hope we can absorb the blitzkrieg that is about to be unleashed on us for the rest of the game.

Playing with this mentality is how you lose to Leeds and Newcastle. It creates unnecessary pressure, gives scraps to the forwards to work off hoping they take the one chance they get all game and ultimately (in my opinion) drives an overly conservative mindset that is borderline defeatest.

What do I know.. maybe this is how we are in the position we are still fighting for top 4. But as with Moyes before him, its the mindset that I don't believes breaks through that ceiling.. at best it gets you close.

If you think this is negative of me.. its not... I actually believe in the quality of the individuals in the team to be delivering a far better performance than they put on last night.

Utter rubbish! Did you not read my post properly?

Carlo has had one summer transfer window, in which he brought in 4 quality players.

He's took on an average-to-mediocre squad, and has managed to get it (with the summer additions) to a position half way through the season where we are not only top half, but potentially challenging for a European spot next season.

As for this: '...We lost the games at HOME to West Ham and Leeds already this season due to his poor tactics...', ManUre lost at home to the bottom club tonight; the RS lost at home to Burnley. Villa spanked 7 past the RS. Teams are going to lose to other teams. Get used to it, and get over it...

I don't accept mediocre, since in my time I've seen us win the title four times, win the FA Cup 3 times, and a European trophy. I have seen how good this club has been. However, with Carlo, the fan base must be patient, which you obviously are not...

Remember, whenever we play, there's another team on the pitch, and most of the time, they have bloody good players. Leicester are not where they are at the moment in the league for nothing...
Great post that

Leicester are very good - every inch the modern oufit. Fast, well coordinated and with strength in reserve - something that we lack.
It's no shame to draw at home with them.
We need to play with that attacking intensity instead of our sporadic efforts.

Status
Not open for further replies.