Match Thread Everton v Leicester City - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Badly missed Doucoure tonight we sat in because we couldn't press. James was class in flashes. The defence decent. Pickford with his usual rick. It was coming second half tbh Leicester deserved it at the very least. Was surprised Carlo didn't make an earlier change but our midfield was struggling and we didn't have an obvious option on the bench. Overall take the point move on hope to play better.
There was an obvious alternative. Gomes off Iwobi on to play right wing Godfrey into Midfield. Digne left back and Richy wide on left

There was an obvious alternative. Gomes off Iwobi on to play right wing Godfrey into Midfield. Digne left back and Richy wide on left
Maybe he doesn't seem to fancy Godfrey in midfield I advocated that before the match but he just doesn't want to try it.

Cant agree.
Doucoure and Allan play tonight and they dont have that sort of possession.

A bit more game time for Digne & James plus Richy back on form they dont beat us mate.

Thats 4 points off them btw
Their return is 1 point.
Yeah, they would have helped, that's a certain. But, we didn't have them. Players who do play have to do better with that - Carlo himself said that.

The mistake cost us. As it was a mistake not to block the shot - it gets through six of our players, and then Pickford.

Anyway, I'm chuffed with where we're at. Doesn't change that they are a very good side - I'd say a draw is a fair result today but, they bossed it today. We let them to an extent, and that's fine, it nearly worked. For an inch it might have worked. For a better goalkeeper, it might have worked.

But yeah, if we went to a top-six rival and did this (see below), and came away with a point, we'd be left scratching our heads I think!

Screenshot 2021-01-28 at 01.01.47.png

Godfrey isn't a midfielder.

He has played there for York and Shrewsbury, about 3 years back.

The midfield did alright tonight, and the defence was the right one.

We know we need Doucoure back but I'm happy we have a manager who prefers to play defenders in defence and midfielders in midfield.

Yeah, they would have helped, that's a certain. But, we didn't have them. Players who do play have to do better with that - Carlo himself said that.

The mistake cost us. As it was a mistake not to block the shot - it gets through six of our players, and then Pickford.

Anyway, I'm chuffed with where we're at. Doesn't change that they are a very good side - I'd say a draw is a fair result today but, they bossed it today. We let them to an extent, and that's fine, it nearly worked. For an inch it might have worked. For a better goalkeeper, it might have worked.

But yeah, if we went to a top-six rival and did this (see below), and came away with a point, we'd be left scratching our heads I think!

View attachment 115682
Well the shot didnt go through 6 of our players as they where all in a line.

They didnt boss it at all , they had loads of possession .It was like watching us in Bobby Brown shoes final months , loads of the ball but done nothing in the final 3rd. Soft lad in goal only had 1 propper save to make and balls it up.

Still say Doucs & Allan play they dont get that possession
Olsen plays we get 3 points.

Only issue is the games in hand are Man City and Villa, not sure we're getting many points there.

Why not?

Burnley beat Villa, and we're better away from home than we are at home.

City - well it's just a free hit isn't it.

We're not even halfway through the season. There's loads to go.

Newcastle is the massive one. You can't predict anything in this league right now.

Well the shot didnt go through 6 of our players as they where all in a line.

They didnt boss it at all , they had loads of possession .It was like watching us in Bobby Brown shoes final months , loads of the ball but done nothing in the final 3rd. Soft lad in goal only had 1 propper save to make and balls it up.

Still say Doucs & Allan play they dont get that possession
Olsen plays we get 3 points.
I don't see why it's so difficult to accept that another team played well?

Also,

That's poor defending, and poor goalkeeping.

Us conceding the goal was all that finally sparked us into life in the second half. It's fine sitting deep, but it is not okay to have no threat while doing so and up until the Leicester goal we didn't have that, unlike in the first half when we did have a threat.

We had key players out and didn't play at our best, and got a point. They had key players out and lost their best midfielder, and probably played well enough to deserve a point. The frustration is with how it comes, but we dust ourselves down and move onto the next one. ;) We'll see what happens with Olsen. I have a feeling he'd have been in anyway and this might have made up Carlo's mind, but again I'll stress, Pickford hasn't had anything like that in a while. He's generally looked a lot more assured and has been part of our good run in the league (Olsen has only played cup games remember, bar Newcastle). He's made an error and it's cost us - we know we need better but right now, there's nothing we can do about it until the summer.

Can say about Doucoure and Allan all we like, but they weren't there, so it's just how it goes.

I’ve got to say i agree, there’s luck and a combination of Carlo game management aswell as the other sides dropping points against each other.
I Just don’t understand all the top 4 talk it will only breed bitterness and frustration when it doesn’t happen. We don’t have the quality in every position for that level. Maybe next season if further improvements are made.
I mean, if you control your own destiny then your fate is in your hand. If we balls it up then it's not much different than Everton of old. We don't need other results to go our way, we simply need to take care of our matches and top 4 is realistically ours.

The total lack of attacking options off the bench killed it for us. We're finishing nowhere near fourth if we don't add to the squad.
This
and the same goes for Midfield.
Poor strength in depth cost us 2 pts
Richarlson would've been dropped ages ago if we had any sort of option.
We knew the MF was shight, so we signed 3 new players
We've been mostly getting results with 2 from 3 of our new MFs with Gomes and Siggi shouldering some load
One wasn't on the pitch and the old Gomes turned up and forgot to bring his hod, so shouldered nowt.

They’re miles better than us, we didn’t have a midfield, we haven’t got a single game changer on the bench. That’s a good result.

All I’m seeing is rancid negativity,yes we struggled without any legs in midfield and Carlo
should have brought on Sigurdsson and Iwobi earlier ,but we had two great chances at the end to win it and we’ve taken 4 points in just over a month of a very good Leicester side,could be worse could have lost to Sheff Utd at home ,or threw away a 2-1 win to lose at Burnley
Rancid negativity is a good way of describing our tactics. Hopefully healthy bodies bring an end to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.