2020/21 James Rodriguez

Status
Not open for further replies.
El Tiempo, one of Colombian's main newspaper had this to said about James first game as a Toffee:
"After paying a long sentence as a substitute at Real Madrid, James tied his starting cleats and once again showed a touch of his magic, of his talent. Attacking on the right, as Carlos Queiroz wants to use him in the Colombian National Team so that his left-handed silk is in front of the goal, James was relief of the ball, rhythm and speed of the game, deep pass, possession of the ball and backward movement and effort to fulfill his defensive tasks. He had a correct game with a close shot that smelled like a goal and another one that crooked. From the mundanity of being benched and being substitute, from being rejected and the forgotten, James now receives a new miracle no less than in English football, in another act of faith from his coach, Carlo Ancelotti, so that he can re-enter the Olympus of football, as he did once."

El Espectador the other main newspaper in Colombia has this to said:
"James Rodríguez made his debut in the Everton jersey in the victory against Tottenham. Colombian midfielder James Rodríguez started and played 90 minutes in Everton's away win over Tottenham.
The debut of the Cucuteño with his new club could not be better, which had not beaten the London team for eight years, led by José Mourinho and in which the Colombiam defender Dávinson Sánchez did not play.
The one who was on the court and had a good performance was Yerry Mina, James's teammate and bastion of the solid defense of Carlo Ancelotti's team, who with his victory in the capital began to justify the millions spent this season. After the game, the Italian strategist valued James' contribution, his quality and vision of the game: “I'm not worried about his physique, but his game. If I looked at speed, I would have signed Usain Bolt ”.
James was on the court for ninety minutes of the 94 that were played. He created five clear scoring opportunities, won five of seven personal duels and gave 47 passes. He also recovered four balls and was very integrated with his teammates, despite having only five practices with the group. He also looked happy and with a very good disposition, something important for him to continue adding minutes and soon recover his best level."

Thanks for the translation. I didn’t realise Queiroz was Colombia manager, he gets around. A lot of blues have an excuse to stay up Late and drink when Colombia are playing their qualifiers now, James Rodriguez is the type of player you would go out of your way to watch.

When he crossed that ball to Richarlison and he messed up his header that he should score or get on target at least that was it, This is what we've been missing all the years, That bit of magia, finesse and quick thinking.

Everyone knew we needed an Allan type but Carlo was savvy enough to realise we had no creativity as well, he has ticked three boxes in one summer when we all would have been happy with one.

Thanks for the translation. I didn’t realise Queiroz was Colombia manager, he gets around. A lot of blues have an excuse to stay up Late and drink when Colombia are playing their qualifiers now, James Rodriguez is the type of player you would go out of your way to watch.
You are very welcome. This was just an outlook of what some newspapers were saying after the game but there are so many pundits and opinions that I only captured these two. It would be nice to have a lot of blues watching the qualifiers just like now Everton has a lot of Colombians following the Blues :)

What for?

All players should be able to use both feet - George Best for instance only practised with his weaker foot.

I make my comment because I noticed a couple of times (from memory both in second half) where he could have slotted the ball down the right channel between defenders for the runner to run onto. On both occasions, it appeared as though he had to wait for the ball to drift onto his favourite left before he could pass it, splaying the ball out and across to his favoured left, the door having closed on his right hand opportunity.

Minor observation, rather than criticism, but I’m sure he’s only too aware that he will have to vary his game before opponents get the edge on him.

As I say, overall, not bad.

Speaking of the qualifiers

I am a passionate national team fan, but I don't see how the club would allow James to go to South America and play 2 games and come back. I think he would have to quarantine for 2 weeks upon return.

CONMEBOL needs to just do the qualifiers in Europe with Europe based players until this whole thing gets resolved

Just knocked up a modest shrine to him in the back yard. Least I could do, really.

baps-shri-swaminarayan-mandir-baps-shri-swaminarayan-mandir-neasden-temple-77f6d2db8f03645eb18...jpg

I am a passionate national team fan, but I don't see how the club would allow James to go to South America and play 2 games and come back. I think he would have to quarantine for 2 weeks upon return.

CONMEBOL needs to just do the qualifiers in Europe with Europe based players until this whole thing gets resolved

Maybe there will be an exception for sportsmen like we have seen elsewhere?

Would be very harsh on anyone who is not Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay or Colombia.

Status
Not open for further replies.