Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do you want us to keep selling our best players?

It's kind of half of the reason why we are where we are right now.

I was joking mate, I hate selling our best players.

People look at Liverpool and Coutinho and think it can work.

Liverpool were in a favourable position for starters and had a way of playing that could get by without a flair Player due to their freaks at full back.

We can’t afford to do another Lukaku we really can’t.

I liked the esk when he was posting on here. I think the info he got was off piste and he chose to believe someone who let him down (intentionally or not). I think his heart was in the right place.

I listened to one of his podcasts a week or two ago and there seemed there were a lot of random views and arguments thrown around with zero substance. That was my first time, i think there were 4 people on it going on about the players / brands and moshiri and it literally made no sense as it was so random without factual basis.

All conjecture and no substance.

As for the accounting side, i work with numbers and im pretty confident some of the guys ive worked with could easily analyse the clubs finances at a high level. Again though, its pointless because with FFP there are such random factors and rules which negate traditional markets and solutions to problems.

1: We need to move players on...

Thats really very obvious when we had over 35 players in the first team squad eating wages.

2: Brands hasnt done anything with the youth sides

Hasnt he? If not why? Who knows.. no one but those inside the club

3: We have only X million to spend

Total nonsense. There are plenty of ways around FFP.

Ancelotti also usually signs a handful or less players a year. Its unlikely we will sign more than 5 because of that data + the current squad size (even after a mass cull) + the wages need to come down.

I mean its hardly rocket science that we wont sign 10 superstars when Ancelotti and Brands are aligned in an evolution phase of a rebuild.

Not having a dig at him but it seems a bit pointless to analyse finances and link them to transfers or youth development or even capability of directors or coaches without any evidence or link between the two.

For me, i just hope Brands can shift out 15 or 16 more players this window and get us down to 16 ish first teamers. Then of course 5 more signings + youth players are added to the first team for a 23 man squad.

It would make my day to see some of our wasters punted.

This is a good summary. His articles and podcasts I think are very interesting and informative and he presents his position very well. When he was on here he was very pro Moshiri and supportive of him,so it does make me laugh when I see people on social media saying he's always negative, that was never my impression of him on here. He's changed his view, and that he held a different view initially I think gives it validity.

He's had a successful business career and I think he wants to see Everton learn the lessons from what a conventional successful business would do. I agree with much of that (I've said a few times I'd make aserious offer to Leahy/Gilvary and potentially even a David Dein figure as well). However it is not always as simple as that. Football is if nothing else quite a hard industry to measure good governance. As a game it is very dependent on luck (as it is low scoring) and single bad mistakes or poor decisions can make an enormous difference. I mean we were poor last season, but you consider Ali at Goodison, DCL's winning goal, Brighton away and they are 3 enormous and obvious mistakes which would have seen us finish on 56 points in 8th.

I don't want to dwell on it, but the point is very few other industries work in that way. That all plans you do all week are essentially reduced to a 90 minute performance, and a 90 minute performance where there is such variance. It could also be, people within an organisation can do good work, and it takes a long time for this to really be noticed. So it's hard.

Most of what he says is fine, but there is an acknowledgement that a lot of the isuses go away if there is a big cash injection. This will often be said as well, something like "unless the major shareholder puts more money in, we will have to do x,y or z" and I always think well given past behaviour, surley the shareholder will just put more money in? Surely a major sponsor will just sponsor some more aspects of the club?

What I'd also note, and we all do this, is we see the world through our own axis. And it's not that someone's axis is wrong, but it's more that there are other interpretations. I have a bias that I want to see us operate how a German/Dutch club would, and put heavy investment into younger players/the academy. Thats my bias playing out, but it may not be the clubs bias. You have to try and see, Moshiri may not want the club to operate in that way.

I'vetried to stop arguing, but I've seen lads on there, who essentially will not countenence us signing anyone over 24/5 as all other signings are bad signings. Often this is without even knowing the deal. Coutinho, James etc are all just bad signings. Surely you have to see the context of the deal before you make that judgement? It's fine to say the priority needs to be x but also to be flexible enough to acknowledge that if y comes along and fits it's ok to pursue it.

I saw Billy Beane interviewed recently and he made a very good point, that moneyball is not really about signing cheap young players as people seem to think it is. It is about finding value. Now one way of finding value in football was doing the above, but it's not the only way. It's a market, marketsare fluid, if lots of people do 1 thing, the likelihood is value exists in other areas. Being able to move away from the crowd, avoid herd mentality and find new solutions is also important. In fairness to Liverpool, this is what they do most impressively for me. When you see them linked with a player, its normally left field. You can kind of see they are not just following the trend. Once a player becomes to a level of well known, they move on, which to me seems sensible. Its not just about sauing an asset is a good or bad buy, but understanding it is a good buy, in this climate, at this price point. Once those circumstances change, value is probably a bit lost.

Is brands on holiday?

This is his favourite album

Aerosmith_-_Permanent_Vacation.JPG

Can’t be taking your two most influential Players out your team.

Did it with Barkley and Lukaku that went well didn’t it?

We get Europe we can probably afford to sell one.

It worked terribly to be honest, but that was because we bought awfully. Why is it, most German teams (or in truth European teams) regularly sell big players but stay stable or get better?

We need to sell at the right moments. At this stage we've just finished 12th, I can't see much sense in saying (in the coming market to) any of our players are worth more than £80m.

I was joking mate, I hate selling our best players.

People look at Liverpool and Coutinho and think it can work.

Liverpool were in a favourable position for starters and had a way of playing that could get by without a flair Player due to their freaks at full back.

We can’t afford to do another Lukaku we really can’t.

Ah sorry for the mix up! I just do see a lot of genuine comments like that and it gets me. Couldn't agree with you more!

What are Spurs fans reading of the summer mate? You have that big loan from the BoE that I think has to be rapaid March of next year. What are people generally thinking re transfer plans?

As you say, we got the big cheap 12 month loan from the Bank of England just to help with turn over during the shut down so it isn't a problem.

Transfer wise. Nobody is expecting a big net spend, but round pegs for round holes, meaning we buy a right back and a centre holding midfielder.
I dont think we will spend any where near £30m, probably only £20m and we will also get a player or two on loan.

I think the term "Treading water" is appropriate.

My point is don’t watch one game, see a LB score and suddenly think he’s the answer. If you thought he was the answer prior to tonight his name would have been suggested already surely?
Weren't there a few links when he was at Bristol?

Selling Richarlison would be total insanity. He and Ancelotti are the draw for players to join the club.

Also £70-80mil is going to be 50% of his value in a season or two.

Regarding Digne, hes one of the best left backs in Europe. £40-60mil again is madness when average defenders are going for those fees.

Id be quoting similar to Maguire at £80mil+ and doing a deal at £70mil+ otherwise there really isnt much point.

For me, if its a choice of Digne OR Reguilon + Gabriel + Emerson then of course you go with the 3 players to complete the defence. However the incoming fee would need to cover all 3 transfer fees.

Ideally though we keep Digne + add Gabriel then add a right back to go next to Holgate and we have a really strong defence for 5 seasons.

Book value now is £21.6mil. I reckon we could use him in a swap with someone, the obvious choice is Zaha at Palace with a little cash.

Either way its a very poor buy.

Not sure his book price is £21.6 i make it £27 + mate, but i see what you are doing. Yet the Esk seems to have adjusted the figures to the 1/7/20 (the start of this financial year) - to illustrate, he has Sandro and Bolaise etc in the last year of the contract reflected in amort and book price. So Iwobis book price last year was £34 million and 27 mill this year, it will be £21.6 next July, essentially hes going no where soon. Thats going of Paul's figures mind.

Last edited:
As you say, we got the big cheap 12 month loan from the Bank of England just to help with turn over during the shut down so it isn't a problem.

Transfer wise. Nobody is expecting a big net spend, but round pegs for round holes, meaning we buy a right back and a centre holding midfielder.
I dont think we will spend any where near £30m, probably only £20m and we will also get a player or two on loan.

I think the term "Treading water" is appropriate.

So I mean to summarise;
A continuartion of the previous transfer policy (creative loans, smarter signings, not necessarily big money)
No imperative for manjor sales.

Is there any concern at the lack of revenue being brought in from the stadium?

Not sure his book price is £21.6 i make it £27 + mate, but i see what you are doing. Yet the Esk seems to have adjusted the figures to the 1/7/20 (the start of this financial year) - to illustrate, he has Sandro and Bolaise etc in the last year of the contract reflected in amort and book price. So Iwobis book price last year was £34 million and 27 mill this year, it will be £21.6 next July, essentially hes going no where soon. Thats going of Paul's figures mind.

His book price last year was 27m that's what we paid for him. The deal was 27m rising to 34m with add-ons.

Status
Not open for further replies.