Club Statement: Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
But according to The Athletic's David Ornstein, clubs remain committed to finishing the campaign, which will be welcomed news to Liverpool.

Speaking on his podcast, he said: "There is a complete commitment across English football to get this season finished.

"There is plenty of modelling happening on how to finish the season.

"Null and void is completely off the table."

Well there we go @matty1878

But according to The Athletic's David Ornstein, clubs remain committed to finishing the campaign, which will be welcomed news to Liverpool.

Speaking on his podcast, he said: "There is a complete commitment across English football to get this season finished.

whos he mate?

they can’t finish a season when this is going on no way Jose!

That went well, national league literally confirming that they're cancelling.

The interpretation (and it is) you made was saying the league is on hold to try to ensure Liverpool win it.

The fact is, you would rather void it and Liverpool not inevitably win the league than continue when safe to do so. You're not being objective at all.

It wasnt an interpretation, it was an observation of a hypothetical situation.

I didn't say the league is on hold to ensure Liverpool win it either. What I said was if one club were to try to hold the league to ransom, on the basis of an indefinite delay, even at enormous financial cost for the entirety of football, this is an unreasonable act. I haven't said that is happening, or who is doing it, it's a hypothetical suggestion. One I believe most decent, objectively people would agree with.

The 2nd part is also I true. It's not a "fact" I would rather void the league than to continue it when safe and practical to do so. Far from it not being a fact, it's actually an out and out lie. I have never said that. You are resorting in both cases to lying about what I'm saying, because you know that by the argument you are making is too weak to defend honestly.

I'll ask reasonably, please dont misrepresent what I am saying for cheap point scoring exercises. My responses are generally quite detailed, and give a clear outline of what I think. You only need to read them to find that out.

Out of decency I will repeat my view on the 2nd issue. It's my perspective the optimum solution is to finish the season when it can be feasibly done, in a safe way and where the squads will be the same ones registered on Feb 1st. If these conditions are not possible then we have to look to the least worst option. If that means cancelling the season, this takes priority for me over risking peoples lives.

I'd also add what my opinion is in this is irrelevant. Clubs will do what is best for them, and while I may not agree with it, they have every right to do so. If the season cannot be completed the best legal option is to cancel the season. Whether you or I like that or not is irrelevant.

All of the above is to my mind, and to most observers I would say perfectly reasonable. You are prioritising fairness, integrity and most importantly safety over a single season of football. What is not reasonable are the growing numbers of people who seem to be trying to put the return of football as the priority, even if it means cutting corners on safety. This is appalling behaviour, and the 2 positions cannot be compared. There is a right and wrong in this debate.

Italy has needed two weeks of lockdown just to start to see the curve decreasing, it would then need to be maintained beyond that just to ensure the curve keeps going down. We could easily be looking at 6 week lockdown as a minimum. That would be the middle of May before players could even think about getting out of their houses let alone going back to training.

Italy have started to "flatten the curve" but in practical terms that is still hundreds dying every day, with a lockdown situation far more severe than we have here. It's worth putting that context.

Lads, Ornstein is about the most sourced journo going in sports reporting. If he says null and void isn't an option, then it isn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.