Club Statement: Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
the contracts ending on 30th June will apply to sponsors too, many will sponsor for the football season ending on 30th June, but then they are getting exposure beyond that, and that will run into the exposure time of new contracts/sponsors.

Now that both the Euros and the Olympics are taking place in the summer of 2021. Neither will accept an overlap between the 2 events due to TV and sponsors.

So the idea that next season will somehow be delayed to allow for the ‘special’ season to be completed, is for the birds.

If the Premier League want to resume the 2019/20 season in mid-2021 then I'm absolutely fine with that, because it'll render the competition a complete laughing stock. That is the point where it becomes such a farce that people stop caring altogether.
That's a big part of the problem they face. We're at that point in the season where literally half the clubs in the league have got nothing to really play for and fans are just waiting for the end of the season and the chance of having another go next year. The thought of waiting months and months for life/football to resume and then having to watch 10 glorified friendlies instead of a new season is not an appealing one.

Assuming everything is void, I would have very little doubt that Leeds & WBA would be fighting their case, I would suspect SUFC & MUFC would consider their options & i can guarantee you multiple clubs (probably collectively) would be taking legal action if they were forced to return TV money (circa $200m per club). Can you imagine Sullivan, Gold and co just handing back that kinda money and saying "fair enough"

This is a global crisis and frankly, football is utterly irrelevant in the grand scheme of things, but when this eventually passes, no matter much damage is done, the same grubby, self motivated greed will sadly prevail after in football & that's why despite the moral shame, I am sure the legal route will be taken by some, if not many. All we can hope is the society in general changes, but shame is not something to stop football club owners.

Perhaps CAS or someone similar might be able to pre-empt the legal challenges with some sort of "all decisions to restart football" are final.

Two words - Force Majeure.

The interpretation (and it is) you made was saying the league is on hold to try to ensure Liverpool win it.

The fact is, you would rather void it and Liverpool not inevitably win the league than continue when safe to do so. You're not being objective at all.
So under the current global circumstances, would you rather see Liverpool win the league than it be voided?

The interpretation (and it is) you made was saying the league is on hold to try to ensure Liverpool win it.

The fact is, you would rather void it and Liverpool not inevitably win the league than continue when safe to do so. You're not being objective at all.

We keep hearing this. When is your cut off point? August? October? Next year?

Assuming everything is void, I would have very little doubt that Leeds & WBA would be fighting their case, I would suspect SUFC & MUFC would consider their options & i can guarantee you multiple clubs (probably collectively) would be taking legal action if they were forced to return TV money (circa $200m per club). Can you imagine Sullivan, Gold and co just handing back that kinda money and saying "fair enough"

This is a global crisis and frankly, football is utterly irrelevant in the grand scheme of things, but when this eventually passes, no matter much damage is done, the same grubby, self motivated greed will sadly prevail after in football & that's why despite the moral shame, I am sure the legal route will be taken by some, if not many. All we can hope is the society in general changes, but shame is not something to stop football club owners.

Perhaps CAS or someone similar might be able to pre-empt the legal challenges with some sort of "all decisions to restart football" are final.

Where have you got $200m per club from? The season was 3/4’s complete. The rumoured potential clawback is circa £700, around £35m per club.

However, the PL itself has cash reserves of circa £1.5BN. Seems likely in this time of extreme crisis it’ll have to deploy a good sized chunk of it.

As for clubs in the promotion places trying to sue if the season is voided. None of them had qualified for anything, and if the season is voided due to a force majeure, they’d be pissing in the wind.

What would the courts actually be deciding upon if a decision to void a competition was challenged by a particular football club? They could argue that they were denied the possibility to win, but that would also mean that they were denied the possibility to lose.

It would be like making a claim against Camelot because you believed that you might have won the lottery because your ticket matched 3 or 4 balls when the lottery machine broke down. Yes, you might have won the lottery, but you might have just won a tenner as well.

Where have you got $200m per club from? The season was 3/4’s complete. The rumoured potential clawback is circa £700, around £35m per club.

However, the PL itself has cash reserves of circa £1.5BN. Seems likely in this time of extreme crisis it’ll have to deploy a good sized chunk of it.

As for clubs in the promotion places trying to sue if the season is voided. None of them had qualified for anything, and if the season is voided due to a force majeure, they’d be pissing in the wind.

Posted it yesterday, the reports (granted some from people with an interest in seeing league completed) have consistently said that the PL could be liable for full amount of season's TV rights should the fail to complete even in these circumstances & the hurdle of payment (ie four quarters) is essentially irrelevant

Posted it yesterday, the reports (granted some from people with an interest in seeing league completed) have consistently said that the PL could be liable for full amount of season's TV rights should the fail to complete even in these circumstances & the hurdle of payment (ie four quarters) is essentially irrelevant

Not seen anything suggesting that, nor do I need to, as they’ve had 3/4’s of what they paid for. The idea that they could claim back every penny has patently been dreamed up by a desperate Kopite.

Two words - Force Majeure.

I'm not actually sure where he is getting his numbers from. The costs is likely to be £700m from the TV revenue, around 35 million each. If we end up going into next season, we may have to abandon half of it or potentially cancel an entire season. That is going to cause much more financial difficulties.

Leeds and West Brom have a very limited case. They are not guaranteed to be promoted. The principle of a cancelled seasons results are invalid is a fairly strong one. It has historical precedent and will have modern precedent soon (or further precedent).

As for SUFC and MUFC, there claim relates to Manchester City, nothing to do with the season being cancelled. It should be added, they both win can't and would probably be competing against each other.

The far bigger threat of litigation comes from two options;
1) We start finishing the season with different players, after June 30th (or that we prevent players signed after that date to play). Or alternatively you try to force sides to have to keep paying players. All of these cause a major litigation nightmare (substantial beyond anything Leeds, West Brom, Sheffield United or Manchester United could bring).

2) Worse still we start awarding league positions based upon an incomplete season.

3) We come up with some wacky scheme, toppled behind closed doors, without preparation, in a situation that is potentially dangerous.

These 3 are the danger of enormous litigation from the sides who are getting relegated.

Status
Not open for further replies.