Club Statement: Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Posted it yesterday, the reports (granted some from people with an interest in seeing league completed) have consistently said that the PL could be liable for full amount of season's TV rights should the fail to complete even in these circumstances & the hurdle of payment (ie four quarters) is essentially irrelevant

If Sky threaten to withdraw the payment the PL should just tell them they wont be considered for future TV rights, there's other options available these days, amazon, Netflix etc.

Posted it yesterday, the reports (granted some from people with an interest in seeing league completed) have consistently said that the PL could be liable for full amount of season's TV rights should the fail to complete even in these circumstances & the hurdle of payment (ie four quarters) is essentially irrelevant

They could be, but the evidence thus far suggests Sky /BT want around 1/4 of the money back (final instalment). If we are talking of the feasibly possible, Sky/BT could withdraw all funding on the basis that it will not finish within the pre agreed time frames (by the end of May, or indeed the end of June). They could withdraw all funds if a single game is put on free to air that hadn't been agreed by them. All of these are possibilities.

I think we should work on tangible evidence we have though. They want 1/4 back for 1/4 missed. If playing 1/4 of the season next year stops us playing either 1/2 or an entire season next year is going to cost us more money (on this basis).

If Sky threaten to withdraw the payment the PL should just tell them they wont be considered for future TV rights, there's other options available these days, amazon, Netflix etc.

If Sky are at the point they will withdraw, they will be threatening to withdraw if the season finishes outside of the agreed time periods. Thats the reality. It's also probably the case, a buyer won't be willing to step in such is the damage being done.

But according to The Athletic's David Ornstein, clubs remain committed to finishing the campaign, which will be welcomed news to Liverpool.

Speaking on his podcast, he said: "There is a complete commitment across English football to get this season finished.

"There is plenty of modelling happening on how to finish the season.

"Null and void is completely off the table."

Well there we go @matty1878

This is a worry

We are all making assumptions on here we have no control of what will happen we don’t no what will happen whatever happens someone will have the hump with whatever decision is made just be grateful we as a club are not sitting in a relegation place

I'm not actually sure where he is getting his numbers from. The costs is likely to be £700m from the TV revenue, around 35 million each. If we end up going into next season, we may have to abandon half of it or potentially cancel an entire season. That is going to cause much more financial difficulties.

Leeds and West Brom have a very limited case. They are not guaranteed to be promoted. The principle of a cancelled seasons results are invalid is a fairly strong one. It has historical precedent and will have modern precedent soon (or further precedent).

As for SUFC and MUFC, there claim relates to Manchester City, nothing to do with the season being cancelled. It should be added, they both win can't and would probably be competing against each other.

The far bigger threat of litigation comes from two options;
1) We start finishing the season with different players, after June 30th (or that we prevent players signed after that date to play). Or alternatively you try to force sides to have to keep paying players. All of these cause a major litigation nightmare (substantial beyond anything Leeds, West Brom, Sheffield United or Manchester United could bring).

2) Worse still we start awarding league positions based upon an incomplete season.

3) We come up with some wacky scheme, toppled behind closed doors, without preparation, in a situation that is potentially dangerous.

These 3 are the danger of enormous litigation from the sides who are getting relegated.

Agree with this.

My point is simple, if there is anything other than a completed season there will inevitably be legal ramifications and cause for delay as disputes get resolved. I am in no way suggesting how any of those cases would go, but I am trying to show that between Relegation, Titles, Europe and TV rights, there will inevitably be appeals and delays if simply voided, despite Force Majeure on a colossal scale.

the argument of just void, it will be grand because of FM is folly. Voiding might ultimately be the outcome, but it will create a legal minefield, however the longer this goes on, the stronger the void case gets & to the above there might be a sway the other way in terms of legal complications, players out of contract and so on

Agree with this.

My point is simple, if there is anything other than a completed season there will inevitably be legal ramifications and cause for delay as disputes get resolved. I am in no way suggesting how any of those cases would go, but I am trying to show that between Relegation, Titles, Europe and TV rights, there will inevitably be appeals and delays if simply voided, despite Force Majeure on a colossal scale.

the argument of just void, it will be grand because of FM is folly. Voiding might ultimately be the outcome, but it will create a legal minefield, however the longer this goes on, the stronger the void case gets & to the above there might be a sway the other way in terms of legal complications, players out of contract and so on

Yes I agree with this. Just a couple of points.
1) If the season is extended, outside the usual time frames there is a chance of broadcasters seeking money back.

2) If we work from the premise that the delay to the season, starts to impact upon next season's schedule there will also be the same (and potentially greater) loss of revenue from the broadcasters.

I do accept there is a sweet spot, which means finishing by late June, and probably starting 1 month off, starting late August where we are ok. That really needs us to be back playing by the next deadline. Any further delay, and in all honesty we are at the point where the focus has to be ensuring next season doesn't become affected (from a viewpoint of trying to maximise TV revenues).

This is a worry

The talk is that the virus may peak in mid/late April, it is hoped. But it will still be around and the restrictions could still be in place for many weeks after that so can you gather a team of players, manager and coaches together and be 2 meters apart?

Status
Not open for further replies.