Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

How are you doing today?
Thank you all for your kindness yesterday. It was very comforting and reassuring. I feel better today. I spoke to my Dad again, he has solved his issues about Mass ( he's very Catholic!) by streaming a service from a church in America. He is going to self isolate from next Tuesday - he has a hospital appointment on Monday so wants to go to that unless it gets cancelled. He still plans on visiting Mum's grave though every Saturday morning if he can. Allerton cemetery isn't the worst place he could go to. He was mostly annoyed about Barclays Bank in Hunts Cross closing soon ( won't entertain on line banking) All is good there I think.

Work marginally better. I took a decision to distance myself from some of my team members via Skype and Messenger because I realised about half way through the morning it was all first world problems "Emily is gutted she has only got a lap top not an iPad for when school closes" Emily is 6. "I'm not letting my 17 year old son do his part time job because he will have to touch money. It's dirty." Once I had done that I felt so much better. I realised they were the ones draining me. I actually did proper work and also helped the Union members in Liverpool who are still struggling with jobsworth managers. We are making progress though. Small steps. A new concern came up today though. The G4S security staff who man our buildings are being told if they go home - even if they are in a high risk group they won't get paid. We don't represent them but are trying to help unofficially. I am gently trying to remind the first world bleaters above that we are very lucky, if we have to be off we will get paid. There are many who will not.

The wine helped as well. As did 1980s pop music. I pretended I was Tiffany!

However mostly it was you lot. I really do appreciate you all x

Had a major dip in my mental health today, I have BPD so tend to struggle massively with my emotions and the girl I’ve been dating last few months out of the blue just dropped that she’s been seeing other people. Due to see her Saturday as I didn’t give her my feelings on it, as I basically never talk about my feelings and now I’m just in a rut of anxiety about Saturday, and depression

I’ve never posted in here before but have been struggling with stress and anxiety lately and nearly took time off work to go home for a few weeks ago for a short period. I regret not doing this now as I’m living in a shared house in London and as my parents are in their mid sixties and have had health issues in the past I can’t risk going up there just in case.

Since about Sunday I’ve had really bad tinnitus which I’ve never had before in my life but it’s quite loud and it’s driving me a bit crazy. I’ve been off work due to it as I work on a construction site and don’t want to risk any more damage. The site has remained open much to my amazement and I’ve been told that if we are not ill with the virus and are ‘just’ self isolating then we will only be getting statutory sick pay. What kind of a message is that? The idea of getting on the tube and going to work on a building site with hundreds of people fills me with fear right now. I’m hoping the government puts the city in to lockdown as the sick pay won’t even cover my rent of a room in a shared house.

Regarding my tinnitus I have been to the walk in centre and they told me to see my GP. Stupidly I never registered with a GP in London so I did so on Tuesday and was told I could apply for an appointment within 2-3 working days. It’s looking less and less likely that I will be able to get an appointment with each day that passes but I will try tomorrow at 8am nonetheless. I’m worried that I’ve got permanent hearing damage and I’ll be stuck with this white noise ringing in my ears for the rest of my life and it would likely require me to change jobs. The annoying thing is I could have got a GP appointment back home in a day or two. Down here it is a battle even at the best of times. I’m just trying to stay calm and not let it affect me too much and hopefully I can see someone soon, or it just goes away.

This is a bit of a ramble and I’m not sure what use it will do but there you go.

Take care everyone x
Tinnitus is a real curse had it for years.At it's worse when you try sleeping. Lots of contradictory info online.Get your ears syringed...others say it makes it louder. Vitamin B3 has helped some Ginkgo others. To be honest you'll get used to it after a while and stress does seem to ramp up the volume,so when your life gets closer to normal work wise it'll improve.

With all the madness of this virus I didnt realise I am 7 years since a bet since the other day . The biggest single factor that was in messing with my mental health for years and the effects are still there .
But giving it up has been immense.
Great stuff , well done. I attended a GA meeting a few weeks back to support a close relative who was getting a two year pin. I’d been a year previously for his 1 year pin and both times I’ve been blown out of the water by the amazing people, the support they give, how articulate they are in telling their stories and just so inspirational. Given the stories I’ve heard there I’m sure your journey hasn’t been easy , so well done again.

I’ve never posted in here before but have been struggling with stress and anxiety lately and nearly took time off work to go home for a few weeks ago for a short period. I regret not doing this now as I’m living in a shared house in London and as my parents are in their mid sixties and have had health issues in the past I can’t risk going up there just in case.

Since about Sunday I’ve had really bad tinnitus which I’ve never had before in my life but it’s quite loud and it’s driving me a bit crazy. I’ve been off work due to it as I work on a construction site and don’t want to risk any more damage. The site has remained open much to my amazement and I’ve been told that if we are not ill with the virus and are ‘just’ self isolating then we will only be getting statutory sick pay. What kind of a message is that? The idea of getting on the tube and going to work on a building site with hundreds of people fills me with fear right now. I’m hoping the government puts the city in to lockdown as the sick pay won’t even cover my rent of a room in a shared house.

Regarding my tinnitus I have been to the walk in centre and they told me to see my GP. Stupidly I never registered with a GP in London so I did so on Tuesday and was told I could apply for an appointment within 2-3 working days. It’s looking less and less likely that I will be able to get an appointment with each day that passes but I will try tomorrow at 8am nonetheless. I’m worried that I’ve got permanent hearing damage and I’ll be stuck with this white noise ringing in my ears for the rest of my life and it would likely require me to change jobs. The annoying thing is I could have got a GP appointment back home in a day or two. Down here it is a battle even at the best of times. I’m just trying to stay calm and not let it affect me too much and hopefully I can see someone soon, or it just goes away.

This is a bit of a ramble and I’m not sure what use it will do but there you go.

Take care everyone x

Take it easy mate and re the tinnitus try not to worry too much. As others have said, there are plenty of things that can be done to get rid of it or reduce it as no doubt your Dr will tell you. I've had it on and off for years too and I find one thing that helps is simply not allowing myself to worry about it. The more you worry about it the more you "feed" it and the louder it gets, whereas is if you can manage to distract yourself from it you'll stop thinking about it and suddenly realise you haven't heard it for a while. It's hard but if you can find some ways to take your mind off it then that might help.

Great stuff , well done. I attended a GA meeting a few weeks back to support a close relative who was getting a two year pin. I’d been a year previously for his 1 year pin and both times I’ve been blown out of the water by the amazing people, the support they give, how articulate they are in telling their stories and just so inspirational. Given the stories I’ve heard there I’m sure your journey hasn’t been easy , so well done again.
Cheers mate . It was not easy . But it gets easier . Meetings in the first few months are absolutely crucial.

Lads this isn’t really what this thread is for.

Please do remember that each individual will have their own battles. Things you deem un important to you may be huge for others so let’s not judge each other’s problems on an ‘I’m worse off than you’ basis.
Indeed @Groucho ...my sincere apologies..sense of perspective radar went temporarily awol....and possibly a little "stir crazy" through self isolation.

Take it easy mate and re the tinnitus try not to worry too much. As others have said, there are plenty of things that can be done to get rid of it or reduce it as no doubt your Dr will tell you. I've had it on and off for years too and I find one thing that helps is simply not allowing myself to worry about it. The more you worry about it the more you "feed" it and the louder it gets, whereas is if you can manage to distract yourself from it you'll stop thinking about it and suddenly realise you haven't heard it for a while. It's hard but if you can find some ways to take your mind off it then that might help.
Cheers mate. I’m finding I’m ok during the day but at night time it’s very difficult to relax or sleep. I spoke to a doctor on the phone this morning and he recommended a nasal spray and ephedrine drops because he said it sounds like my sinuses etc might be blocked. I could only get one of the products and have ordered the other so let’s see. I got some Vicks and did the old head over a tub of hot water mixed with Vicks with a towel over my head and it seems to have cleaned me out a bit although the tinnitus is still as it was. Just going to take it a day at a time at the moment and I’m only going back to work once it’s under control. I’ve never had more than a couple of days off ill before for anything so it’s time to look after myself for once.

Cheers mate. I’m finding I’m ok during the day but at night time it’s very difficult to relax or sleep. I spoke to a doctor on the phone this morning and he recommended a nasal spray and ephedrine drops because he said it sounds like my sinuses etc might be blocked. I could only get one of the products and have ordered the other so let’s see. I got some Vicks and did the old head over a tub of hot water mixed with Vicks with a towel over my head and it seems to have cleaned me out a bit although the tinnitus is still as it was. Just going to take it a day at a time at the moment and I’m only going back to work once it’s under control. I’ve never had more than a couple of days off ill before for anything so it’s time to look after myself for once.
Hope your ok BLF. Stay strong mate x

Had a major dip in my mental health today, I have BPD so tend to struggle massively with my emotions and the girl I’ve been dating last few months out of the blue just dropped that she’s been seeing other people. Due to see her Saturday as I didn’t give her my feelings on it, as I basically never talk about my feelings and now I’m just in a rut of anxiety about Saturday, and depression

Hope all is well with you, mate. Relationships can be a pain in the rear at the best of times as it is, never mind when you have mental health issues. Take care and try and stay positive… I know the latter is easier said than done when things start getting on top of you.

Came across this today, for those that suffer from anxiety. The world is in a bit of a mess at the mo, so it's really important to remember the things that you're able to control.

Hope all is well with you, mate. Relationships can be a pain in the rear at the best of times as it is, never mind when you have mental health issues. Take care and try and stay positive… I know the latter is easier said than done when things start getting on top of you.
Ive been distracting myself by playing videogames in essence - it’s been surprisingly effective. I guess with what’s going on in the world I’ve came to the conclusion there are bigger worries

edit - also thank you, it’s much appreciated